Thursday, January 12, 2023

New Enterprise or Not

 Today, tornadoes tore up parts of Alabama, the most significant of which is Selma. This tornado was sort of expected, and I went to bed rather trepidatious. Nothing happened here, thankfully. 

As I was moving things that need to be decluttered, I found the plastic bag containing the Butterfly Meadow plate that arrived broken. I looked at it and decided there were enough elements to make jewelry from the flowers, bees, lady bugs, and butterflies on the porcelain. Then, it occurred to me that I could sell these. And, I could make and sell more! My mind raced with possibilities. I know I have the skill to make them. And, I know I can sell them. 

The only thing I don't know is how I will deal with the fallout from nipping off porcelain and from the air pollution when I smooth the edges. I don't want to get this stuff in the carpet or breath in anything. I know I will wear goggles, a mask, and gloves. However, I will have to work on carpet, a real problem. I will power through and make jewelry from this one plate. But, I don't know how far I will take this enterprise. 

I am only interested in making jewelry, nothing larger. Once upon a time, I considered making something larger, like a stepping stone or a table. Not now. I can handle small pieces. 

If I am successful, I can move forward and buy old china that is broken or chipped. Or, I can just break some old pieces I buy. I have nothing to lose as I will have to buy a few tools to work with the broken plate I have. At any rate, I can salvage the broken plate.

Maybe Etsy is in my future.

Have you ever worked with broken plates/China? If so, what did you make?

Dinner tonight: I did not want to cook! So, we thawed a chunk of the pork loin. I had bbq  pork on bun with a ton of coleslaw. Tommy had bbq sauce on chicken breast and mixed vegetables and salad. 

7 comments:

  1. I would suggest sitting out side on the porch so there would not be any dust or chips in the house. Break or chip, use a small sander to smooth edges, the finish work might be able to be done in the house. You need to consider what you will use to seal and or varnish the pieces with. You don't want either of you to be breathing the fumes on a chemical. Sounds like a good idea but only if you can do it in a safe manner. I would avoid earrings, those might be too heavy for earrings

    I still think the best thing would be focused on your sewing skills. I can't sew but I am sure you could make lots of custom items. Maybe you could put both on your esty store. Maybe be kitchen tea towels, hand towels, pillow cases. Things for children are a big seller on these sites. Something to consider. My sons bedtime animal was a pillow in the shape of a pony made by a cousin. He had the choice of many commercially made stuffed animals but the pony was the one!! Best wishes to a profitable endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting on the porch would terrify me! Getting up I might stumble off the porch since it is not very deep. I have different ways I might keep all this from us. I am only going to think far enough ahead to get this plate transformed. Small pieces won't be too heavy. But, I don't necessarily want to make earrings. I have ideas for making things I am considering. I want to first use this broken plate!
      I have learned many skills and made things. Later, I decide I don't want to use this skill again. I am not a dilettante, just always curious. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have worked with broken dishware. I made a table top to use as part of the decor for my sisters wedding reception. My gift to her was to decorate the reception hall in a garden theme. I also made decorative balls using the broken dishware to mimic gazing balls. People often make them using bowling balls but I only had the foam craft ones to work with and it was fine. Not as heavy as a bowling ball would have been. We gave the balls away after the reception and the table was later sold at a garage sale. Doing this reception gave me the opportunity to do various art projects that I never would have had a reason to try otherwise. She was very happy with the results. We had a park bench for people to take pictures of themselves with the bride and groom and an archway with floral garland and fairy lights decorating it. There were different garden signs that were later given away and French design flower holders and plants everywhere, along with some quirky bird houses. Each table had a small potted flower on it with fairy lights. We had plant stands with garden figures on them to mimic statues. It was so much fun and that happened over 20 years ago now. It was a lot of work and I wouldn't be able to do it today but glad of the chance to see what I could come up with. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      That sounds like fun! I imagine it was charming. You went all out with the garden theme. The pictures are surely charming. I hope you got lots of pictures. Thanks for sharing those with us.

      Delete
  3. I'm curious too. Linda moved my info into a new address book and in doing so I LOST your address both in Cullman and there at Tommy's.
    I do have your phone number (as long as it still ends with 50).

    My email is my first and last name @gmail.com. May I ask you to email those missing addresses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard tell of tornadoes in your neck of the woods. I am glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      We thought it would be worse where we are. But, it seems the problems were mostly south of us and some north of here. I do not want to be in another tornado!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...