Saturday, April 15, 2023

What do you give to a 93-year-old?

 My friend turned 93 years old and her husband soon turns 94. I give a Christmas gift and a birthday gift. It is hard to know what they want or will even appreciate. My friend who turned 94 before she died gave me hints even though that was 30 or more years ago. 

My friend loved gift certificates to her favorite restaurant. She did not want to eat out. She wanted enough to treat others. She loved to treat her family and friends and she was not able to cook for a crowd, or even herself. 

Gifts I have given my present friend--an azalea to plant since she loved her yard. It died. She has two bluebirds hanging in a dogwood tree. So, I made a cardinal and she hung that up, too. She gave up having a Christmas tree, so I gave her the red Hershey's Kiss with remote controlled lights. 

Now, it is her birthday, so we got her a gift card for Chicken Salad Chick. My knee has slowed me down plus recovering from covid. So, I am late. I called her the day before her birthday and mailed a birthday card the day after. Today, we went to Chicken Salad Chick and purchased her a gift card. She has never eaten there. Well, I was praising it, so she may have gone there lately. I will have to mail that. I will make it clear this is for both their birthdays. 

Of course, I had my quarterly CSC for myself. That was dinner. Tommy suggested going to the park. Sitting in a park, even in Homewood this late in the day would scare me. We ate in the parking lot outside CSC. I got my usual, Classic Carol and loaded baked potato soup. 

As we sat there, there was a steady stream of young people and a few middle aged who were eating in an outdoor eating area just beyond the CSC. There were apartments, probably pricey ones, nearby. It reminded me of a few years ago, okay 30 years ago, when I would have been all for this. When I was at UAB, friends and I often walked to places to eat or for entertainment. 

This place is too close to Cookie Fix and a chocolate place. I cannot have them all at once! It is all such a temptation but necessitates a long trip just for a treat.  I don't need treats like these, so it is just as well it is such a chore to drive there. 

Last night, we went to bed at 3 am. I had my four-hour sleep, got up at 8 am, sat here on laptop until almost 9 am and then slept until 2:30 pm. I felt wonderful by 3 pm. Once in a while, this happens with or without a nap. Sometimes, I do not nap and still have this type sleep. 

We have a few things to do just because they need doing. If the cleaner comes on Sunday, we do try to have a few things done. I suppose she will either come or not. She never gives me a warning either way. But, she is good and free, so I can handle it. I would really like to find someone to pay. But, I gladly accept her help. 

My elderly neighbor who loved the restaurant gift cards told me about the presents she received each year. When she died, her daughter showed me the dozens of nightgowns and sweaters in drawers, gifts she could never use when alive and certainly not after she died. Every year, she told all she got for Christmas, Mother's Day, and her birthday. She was never happy about the sweaters and nightgowns. 

Since the couple never cooks now, maybe gift cards for restaurants will be the best thing for them. The will be leaving their lovely yard to move into a new duplex with a bare yard. She said she sat on the porch and cried about leaving their yard. Maybe a Lowe's gift card would work from now on so they could get what they want or need for the yard. 

Neither my elderly friend or this couple needed/needs clothing or food or furniture. They are related to a car dealer, so meals out or yard stuff seems like the best option for them. They really enjoy both. 

Tommy says we can have Chicken Salad Chick every three months, so I am looking forward to July. 

Do you have a gift you give to someone elderly that is always appreciated? I know clothing, food, or maybe hair care might be their choice. But, otherwise what is a generic gift you give to elderly who have no pressing needs? Of course, the elderly friend loved her restaurant of choice. And, this couple have never expressed a favorite place. They even go out for lunch! Recently, she expressed surprise at how delicious Taco Bell was on their first ever visit. 

A gift for the elderly still living in their own home and driving?

12 comments:

  1. When my mom used to still drive she appreciated a Starbucks gift card to stop and get a mocha every now and then. Chocolates and cookies are good to give, too, I think. A nice bouquet of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Tommy can afford to spend at fast food, but he loved getting a gift card from there. So, I suppose food is always good. I thought of a bouquet of flowers, but was unsure as to how she would like that. I might feel her out.

      Delete
  2. My mother is 92 and when my siblings ask me what can they get mom for Christmas, I tell them to get her a Publix gift card or one from Wendy's. She loves Wendy's chili and the Frosties. This past Christmas, I gave her a new white sweater for church that she badly needed, her other one had a ugly stain on one shoulder. Some perfumed body powder and a small box of chocolate candy she likes. She always tells us not to get her anything because she doesn't need anything, but she does like the gift cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice
      They go to Publix, but I did not think about that. I would like a gift card from Publix. I think someone found out my friend needed a sweater and everyone got her one for YEARS. So far, from my experience and what others say, gift cards seem like a good idea.

      Delete
  3. I love to receive flowers but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    I think for most elderly people, a meal out is well received.
    I wouldn't buy clothing, a lot of people have a very specific style and if you get the wrong thing, returning it just creates a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I love getting flowers, but as to whether I can keep them in the same room, well, that is a different story. My allergies sort of rule there. I told Tommy if I am ever in the hospital, tell people to get me artificial flowers.
      Getting clothing would be difficult. I know a friend bought me three outfits when I lost all my clothes. Two of the three blouses did not fit and the third was too sheer. Plus, I must have an elastic waistband and knit pants. All three pairs of pants had a waistband and zipper and were not stretchy at all. My knee that had surgery will not allow anything non-stretchy to touch it. Even though I could get into the store with little problem, returning them was not an easy chore. Thankfully, I got something that worked and could exchange them. Even when I was very young and very skinny, I could not wear waistbands with ease.

      Delete
  4. Stamps and generic birthday or greeting cards they can send out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      That is an excellent idea, especially for people who are on a limited income or cannot get out to purchase them.

      Delete
  5. I too have always done stamps and a box of all occasion cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I will have to keep this in mind. Actually, I should write down ideas because some days my mind does not hold onto things very long. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. food and good cheer and a cake that's what works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! This woman had a cake in the refrigerator sent home from her daughter, lots of family and friends, and plenty of calls and cards. She is special...lol.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...