Friday, April 14, 2023

Don't Mess With My Meds | He Won't Allow Me to Talk | Keto Brownies

 We went out to get my new med for nausea. Yes, I feel nauseated all day long. I could see through the window that the worker had two bubble-like packages. So, I wondered. They weren't the plastic bags that hang on a rod for meds. I was annoyed when I looked at the bottle for the two meds. The bottles are three and a quarter inch high and two inches in diameter, much too large for 90 tiny pills. 

Plus, I put all my meds in a very small train case style case. This includes cough drops, tubes in ointments, so not a lot of prescriptions. And, getting larger bottles means the case will eventually not be large enough. Mostly, this is a gross waste, too much plastic. The 3.25 inch bottle has about 90 pills that are in the bottom .5 inch of the bottle. These bottles could hold 1000 + tiny pills. 

On Gunsmoke, I noticed Doc gives patients pills in paper envelopes. I do collect these empty bottles and take to the local animal shelter.

Yesterday, Tommy started on his tax return. He won't let me talk when he is holding the papers and working. Fair enough. I am not talking him to death normally. But, I understand even a comment is disruptive. It's really tough trying to say nothing at all! 

A hamburger with onion and bacon is waiting, along with zucchini to cook. So, that is dinner with tomatoes or a salad. 

We are going out to eat for the first time since 2019. Tommy's relative has been wanting to take us to Bright Star. Since we did not die from covid or even suffer as much as we could have, I am willing to take a chance, just one time. I hear there is another booster in the works for Fall, which I will get. 

He is up and letting me talk and talking to me. YAY! We had a chore this afternoon. He looks so weary. Even though it is 6:30 pm, I will take a short nap. He never "takes a nap," just snoozes for an hour in his chair and refuses to recognize it as a nap. Or, he sleeps for 20 minutes here and there. I have to put on a gown and get into the bed. 

My knee seems to have healed itself. I have not needed the walker at all, and I plan to keep it that way. I don't have to hold both sides of the ramp. I don't have to hold onto the car. I have not asked Tommy to get me one thing. Everything is back to normal. And, the walker won't annoy me.

I went crazy after seeing Dolly Parton's Fabulously Fudgy Brownie Mix. So, I got it. Then, as I wandered along looking at other brownie mixes, I saw a Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix--Keto Friendly. After I had it at home, I read this statement--not a low-calorie food. It seems to have a lot of carbs. Maybe I don't understand "keto." 

THEN, I read this--"excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect in sensitive individuals." Well, that's just great. I have three choices 1) take both back, 2) give them away, 3) bake them and give most of each away. I don't know what to do.  

Today, I was in the Pig. I have been looking for a bottle brush, something to clean out jars and specially to clean the peanut jars when they are empty. I use them after they are empty for storing non-foods. But, It is impossible to get them clean with a dishcloth and with ease. Most stores in which I have looked don't have a bottle brush or a dish mop. But, in the Pig I found two dishmops in a cart of clearance items. Both were 25 cents each. So, I bought both. These are foam, not what I wanted, but I settled. Have you found bottle brushes in short supply?

He gets grumpy doing his taxes.

Have you noticed excessively large bottles for your prescriptions? 

Have you bought a Dolly Parton mix? How was it? 

Do you have a knee that comes and goes? 

12 comments:

  1. You should put your peanut butter jar through the dishwasher if you want to reuse it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      I rarely wash a pb jar. The jar I want to wash is a peanut jar, Planters. I like them as they are very clear, hard and perfect for storing non-food items. They are oily inside and not easily accessed with a wash cloth. One warped in the dishwasher, so I want to wash by hand.

      Delete
  2. Glad your knee is better and you don't need the walker. I needed a new bottle brush a few months ago and ended up getting one from the baby section of walmart. You would think we could find one easily in the kitchen section but I didn't in any store I checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      Thanks. Me too. I hate the walker. I tried kitchen and baby section in several stores and no luck. Even the employees were stymied.

      Delete
  3. According to Wikipedia keto is high fat and lower carb.
    I am with Tommy - 20 -30 minutes of a doze is super refreshing for me. If I would nap too long, I would never get to sleep at night. Yesterday as a matter of fact - I dozed off for over an hour - and was awake most of the night. Ugh.
    Taxes take full concentration for me as well.
    I have recently bought 2 bottle brushes at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That is what I thought, too. But, why do people use it to lose weight if it is high in calories. So, I assume people who eat keto are diabetic now.
      If I sleep 20 minutes, I feel worse, like I have been hit by a truck. On days I do not nap, I still cannot sleep at night. When I tell him to wake me after 2 hours, I feel groggy but can easily function after a few minutes. But, a 20 minute nap is a disaster for me.
      Oh, I agree that he needs to concentrate and am willing to not talk. It is just hard to remember not to say even one word.
      Going into the dollar store would be too hard, so I just kept searching places with a cart. I even went to the baby section!

      Delete
  4. I looked up the brownie mixes you mentioned. Keto-friendly is just a way of saying "reduced carbs." But it catches your eye with the word Keto, which is dodgy advertising.

    Keto does not mean low-calorie or "diet". It is a no-carb way of eating. The idea is that it's carbs that make you fat. And lack of carbs puts your body in "ketosis" so that you burn fat for energy instead of carbs.

    It seems reasonable to assume that most people who eat Keto are diabetic or trying to avoid it. But some folks are on it to lose weight, or to eliminate the symptoms of PCOS. Everyone has their own reasons.

    Anyway, the DH "keto friendly" brownies really ARE reduced carbs. DH K-F: 1/12 of the box (24 g) = 13 net g of carbs

    Compare that to the Dolly Parton brownies:
    DH DP: 1/16 of the box (31 g) = 24 net g of carbs

    To be honest, the keto-friendly brownies probably taste like ass.
    I wouldn't buy either because I don't like the chemical-ly taste of boxed baking mixes.

    I have had success finding brushes at a dollar-type store, but I haven't looked recently. Could just be a supply-chain issue. I HAVE noticed that kitchen sponges with the non-scratch scrubbing side are in very short supply.

    I'm glad your knee is better, and that you can put your walker away.

    We are having a beautiful, overly-warm day here in CT. I'm not going to quibble with Mother Nature, but I prefer a cooler spring. 80 in April is not appropriate New England weather. This heat spell has ruined maple syrup season, and our pancakes are going to pay for it! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I had compared the carbs. The ingredients did not please me. Anything with alcohols taste too chemically! I may take both back.
      My knee is puzzling me. I just do not pivot on that foot. I already don't pivot on the right foot. Well, when I remember.

      Since Publix remarked they could not get bottle brushes of any kind, I figure it must be supply chain issues. So, it is puzzling that I found two reduced to a quarter.

      When we have an inordinately warm day in late winter or spring, we know tornadoes will follow. I am glad I have plenty of maple syrup that I use sparingly and not often. It is warmer where you are than here.

      Delete
  5. Today Sunday my L knee was acting up that the gym to let me know it wasn't liking the squats exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      You are a doctor. Check it out and cut out the squats.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely yes on the prescription bottles. It seems they always run low on smaller ones and insist on giving large ones for few pills.

    Keto isn't about low calories, it's about low carbs, hence the 'warning'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      These bottles came from a place that shipped them to the pharmacy, so not sure what the problem could be.
      I don't need carbs or calories. So confusing. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...