Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Farmer's Market and Grocery Shopping


citrus juicer/reamer



We went to the Wednesday one-day Farmer's Market today. Tommy thought it was from 3-6 pm and I thought it was from 4-7 pm. Well, we were both wrong. It is from 9-6 pm. I have been waiting for it to start, and he thought I was letting it pass today or something like that. However, we left about 3:30 to shop.

There were only six booths today by the time we got there about 4 pm. Three were not produce, just canned food. One guy had lots of wooden lawn furniture. I bought a box of blueberries for $4 and a little box of squash for $4. The squash were just like I prefer yellow squash. They were all about five inches long. The blueberries were really fresh. I had some out of the bag on the way home. 

We also went to our three stores to get the ads. Tommy went to the first store and refused to get a pork butt for $1.78/lb. He did not want to shop and said they would be there another day. Pooh! I went into The Pig and Publix. 

Publix had Spice Island Spices bogo. I needed dill and parsley for a mix. Bananas and Chips Ahoy bogo. Libby's Pumpkin was still fifty cents, so I bought two more. 

I finally found a juicer/reamer. It has a glass container with plastic juicer screwed onto the top. I did not want plastic, but that is all there was. I had about a half-dozen of the antique glass juicers that I prefer, but I don't know if any are still in my possession or in the landfill. I also found a single brownie mix bag for half price. 

I was in no mood to cook when we came home. The hen is not thawed. There was no more leftover protein in the refrigerator. So, I told Tommy to see what was in the big freezer. He came back with a package of sixteen meatballs, and another package with a generous meatloaf. He wanted the meatballs, so that is what we had. He ate meatballs, pasta, and leftover spaghetti sauce, and a huge salad. I might have the same. 

Dinner for tomorrow night will be meatloaf and leftover potatoes. Maybe we will have corn on the cob or squash. Dinner ready to eat for tomorrow makes me happy. 

There is no zester in sight. The grater has just a smaller grater, so maybe no help. Plus, I only found one citrus juicer in the one store that had juicer label on the shelf. Is everyone zesting and juicing citrus, or is this a supply-chain issue? My big box grater had one whole side that was a zester. Do you have a box grater with a zester? There is one store in Cullman that will have what I need. 

Now, I should wash the juicer, wash the lemons, zest the lemons, juice the lemons. Ugh! I am tired. 

The Purple D' Oro bloomed today and three more blossoms, at least, will bloom soon. I really want to hit up Lowe's every day and see what flower is on sale. But, I won't. 

Tommy discovered some herb butter in the refrigerator, and he loves it. So, I will try to mix some he will love. He will love it on squash I will cook on the stovetop. Do you add herbs to butter? 

My a2 milk is on sale for $3.60/half gallon at The Pig, as opposed to $4.99 at Publix. If I use the digital coupon, I can get it for $2.85. However, the digital coupon can only be used 2 X. I will take advantage of the price and the coupon. 

Today has been a good day. Warm is always good, and sun is better! I did not wash my hair like I wanted to do. It is late, so not dealing with lemons even though the juicer is clean. 

What did you accomplish today? Cooking, gardening, washing? Have you ever had an antique glass juicers/reamer? Maybe you still use one?



12 comments:

  1. I make different compound butters fairly regularly, based on what we are going to be having on any given week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Tommy is quite obsessed with this butter, so I need to get started making more for him.

      Delete
  2. I've gotten much clarity in various realms today and I'm still on the phone making progress. I've never had an old fashioned juicer/reamer as you pictured but really, just eat the freaking orange whole! lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      I have a list of places I need to call today to get some clarity myself. I picture you eating an orange like an apple! I have used this kind of juicer all my life, and it is disconcerting to not have one at my disposal AND not finding one similar, even plastic, in a store.

      Delete
  3. I have my grandmother's juicer like that and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Keep it safe as they are rare and expensive in antique shops. The plastic ones skitter all over the counter!

      Delete
  4. I should have Mom's in the basement with the good dishes. Hubby was afraid he would break it since his tremors came back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      At the least, maybe it could be put where he won't use it. It would be a shame to lose it.

      Delete
  5. Reamers are the hand-held types of citrus juicers.
    I have a lovely glass juicer that I use frequently. I've seen the Depression Glass variety that sit on top of a matching bowl so you can collect lots more juice. I would love one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not find a reamer, either!
      You don't actually collect more juice. It is just handier as you don't have to find something to put the juicer into to collect the juice. Most of my juicers had a container to match at one time. Of course, the container was gone by the time I bought them. The bottom either got broken or was just separated after grandma died as no one knew they went together.

      Delete
  6. I forget how one adds herbs to butter; I should look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Basically soften butter, add herbs, mix, use. You can look it up and see which spices or herbs appeal to you.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...