Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Popsicles

 




                                                                          I love popsicles
It is popsicle weather!

I am not sure how I centered this text, but maybe I will later. Too tired now. 
Today, I went for an endoscopy. Later on that. Fixed now.

The first time I ever remember having a popsicle may not be a memory. My mother may have told me. We lived in downtown Memphis. She would take my brother and I to the park and get us a banana popsicle. 

Maybe that is my favorite flavor. I figured out later when I had children that banana popsicle does not stain. At any rate, no popsicle tastes quite as delicious as popsicle. 

Tommy and I were reminiscing about popsicles and the two sticks. I remarked that Mama always broke them on the side of the counter until I was able to do so. Then I got to be the one who had siblings standing and waiting, looking at me like a god. After all, only big people could be the dispensers of popsicles.

I asked him when he and his brother were allowed to break the popsicles apart themselves so they could share. He was absolutely indignant--He never had to share because he got two sticks and so did his brother. 
Now, I had never seen or heard of anyone eating two sticks while still attached. Now, you must understand no one ate sticks. But having one or two sticks describes what was your portion. No one I ever knew said they got two sticks. And, we certainly never did. Four kids had to eat, so we had two to share.

Even at this point, if I had a popsicle, I would break it in half and eat one now and one afterwards. I cannot fathom holding a popsicle with two sticks. 

Tommy said he only bought from the ice cream man that drove around the neighborhood. He never saw them in the grocery store. However, I only lived one place for a short few months that had an ice cream truck. As a matter of fact, this is the only time in my childhood that we even had sidewalks. I saw popsicles in the store. 

Last year, I looked one time for popsicles in the store. All I found were the round ones with one stick. And, even then they were not the Popsicle brand. This year, I will search again. By this time in history, there are probably sugar-free popsicles. But, I want banana with two sticks. I will break the two apart on the corner of the cabinet and put one in the freezer while I eat the other. I won't be storing this for later, well, just after I finish the first half. 

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, we will have (feels-like) temps over 100F. It seems like this might be the ideal time to have my first popsicle in probably 30 years.

We bought slaw and a salad for $.88 each, both Dole and both from The Pig today. My a2milk is $4.11 and $4.52 after the 10% while it is $4.99 at Publix. To get the free freezer bags and just because we were there getting the ads, we bought three half-gallons and the two Dole items. Tommy went inside Publix just to get the ad. Shopping there, if we do, will happen tomorrow.

Today was too tiring to shop in two stores. We left here at 9 am and got to the first store about 4 pm and arrived home about 5 pm. I think spending from 10 am until after  3 pm in a hospital is too long for a 45 min procedure!

Back to popsicles~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you like popsicles?

Maybe you had "popsicles" under another brand? 

What is your favorite flavor of popsicles?


11 comments:

  1. I always just got 1, Mother put the other back in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love popsicles. Banana and Pina Colada re my favorite flavors right now, but they can be hard to find too. I always break mine in half too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I have never heard of pina colada popsicles. I might like that. Broken in half is the way to go around here.

      Delete
  3. I am with Tommy - I always had a 2 stick popsicle. Still do when I eat one. We have an ice cream truck come around in the evening.
    WM has always had a mixed bag of popsicles with banana in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Is this the real Popsicle brand or some other brand? Two sticks is just wrong...lol.

      Delete
  4. From what I remember, they discontinued the double stick Popsicle quite awhile ago. There had been some controversy as to whether they would bring them back because Justin Bieber had requested they be made again, as they were his favorite. (i think he did an advertisement for them when he was a kid?) Anyhow, Popsicle brand would be announcing sometime whether they would be making double stick treats again. Apparently they did a limited release and would consider making them if they got 100,000 retweets of Justins request. So, it was in the hands of fans of the 2 stick Popsicle, whether they would be available in the future. I don't know if it was a successful campaign as I have not seen double stick popsicles in the freezer section of the grocery store anymore. Maybe certain areas are likely to have them or they did not bring them back? (yes, I grew up with the 2 stick treat and my mom always broke them in half and banana was and will always be my favorite and cherry is a close second.) Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae.
      Thanks for filling me in on the Bieber deal. I had not heard that and don't tweet. I hope it works. Thanks for confirming my experience--broken in half! Same here banana first and cherry second.

      Delete
  5. My favorite was the orange pushup. Not exactly a popsicle, but what I remember from my childhood. I didn't get them often, so I suppose the memory is more vivid since it was always a special event.

    I just saw someone post this morning about making their own popsicles, so I may do that for the grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the pushups because I had my first at eight-years-old at 4H camp. I just asked Tommy if we have any popsicle makers here.

      Delete
    2. As a child Lime was my favorite popsicle flavor but given a choice I actually prefer the one stick BIG STICK icy treat. Here we have a lot of Mexican influenced icy treats. I like the coconut and the chili Mango or tamarind flavors. When in Junior High we could purchase either a chocolate covered ice cream bar or an orange juice one stick popsicle. I would choose the orange Juice bar!

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      There are lots of good memories with popsicle and other flavors on a stick. I liked the dreamsicle that was orange and vanilla ice cream. I would choose chocolate. But, I never just had an orange juice on a stick. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...