Monday, July 10, 2023

Grab It Tight?

 When I heard Tommy saying this frantically, I looked at him because he was shaking all over and frantically repeated the phrase several times. I had to decided to rebandage his foot since he had just gotten dressed after taking a shower. What on earth was wrong with him? Why all the shaking and grimacing, sort of smiling? 

Well, he finally let me know I was tickling him. "Where," I asked, still clueless. Well, he said my fingernail on the bottom of his foot and sides, tickled him. 

Goodness gracious. I really don't think I had fingernails on his feet, just a gentle touch, supporting his foot while I tended to it. Actually, I was not supporting his foot, just touching it as I worked. I did grab it finally and he quit being tickled and quit quivering. When I sat down, I laughed until tears filled my eyes. 

When I was young, I was not allowed to hit my sister who was three years younger. So, when she annoyed me, I would approach her with an index finger pointing to her, saying, "I am going to tickle you" in a little, teasing voice. She would just go crazy. Yet, I never touched her. It was so funny. I still delight in obeying my mother and making my sister sorry without a bit of malice in my actions. The last time I did that, she and I were in high school. Wonderful memories...lol. 

The knife cut on his foot looks much better and does not appear to be getting infected. I ordered a 12-pack of colored stretch bandage from Amazon. I chose orange for him because he is an Auburn fan. The pink is for me. 

The first thing I grilled was hamburgers. I had a package with enough for two large burgers. I had a cheeseburger and Tommy had a burger with ketchup, mustard, and relish. 

Tommy will be grilling soon even though he has never grilled and is adamant he never will. How do I know? I just do. He has never done most of the things he does around here now. He was certain he would not use the dishwasher. Now, he can put things in, start it, and empty the dishwasher. I never tell him to do it. I just talk about why I am doing what I am doing, sort of like you would do with a child in the kitchen. AND, I am not likening him to a child. 

The one thing he has trouble with is placing glasses and cups between the prongs on the upper shelf of the dishwasher. He is certain that I am wrong, that people place glasses over the prongs to keep them from falling over. But, he did change the way he does it now because I showed him how the water will knock glasses into each other. 

We went to Belk's to return something--failed mission, and to pick up something--another failed mission. More later. 

We stopped by the bread store on the way home so I could buy cheaper keto bread. It does not look like it will taste good. But, I will give it a chance. 

None of the Publix have the Double Q salmon. Apparently, the stores have given out quite a few rain checks. The store in Trace Crossings is the fanciest Publix I have ever seen! But, they have no salmon. Bummer. 

Then I took a nap and grilled at sunset. Thankfully, the humidity is at a comfortable level. So, I did not suffer at all. I also did not stand long at all. I stepped out the door four times--to put burgers on, to turn burgers over, the mash my burger, and to bring them in. So, very little standing. Yay for me. Plus, I browned the burgers instead of burning them. Burnt meat=carcinogens. 

Who is most fun for you to tickle now or earlier?

Who is/was the designated griller at your house?

What is your favorite food to grill?

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have never had a grilled tuna steak. Sounds good.

      Delete
  2. My Mom did the grilling for us when she was here. I don’t grill outside these days. It’s too hot and I would have to go down the stairs, so not at this time. If anything ever changes, I would love to grill outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I only have to step outside the front door, thankfully. This is not ideal, but works. I hated to grill because I was cooking the inside stuff. So, I really hated it. But, if all I had to do was grill, it would not be too bad.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely hate being tickled. I will yell, twitch and come close to peeing myself!!!!! My daddy used to tickle me - thought it was hilarious. Then Glen used to think it was funny. I swore daddy picked him out!!!!! LOL - Never met - but so much alike.
    I usually always did the grilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Obviously, you react like Tommy. I am not ticklish. Well, this time he sat still enough except for the quivering in his whole body. I was very puzzled but kept my hand on his foot which just made it worse for him.
      It is hard to do the inside cooking while outside tending to a grill.

      Delete
  4. How funny Tommy is so ticklish & you didn't realize it! My hubby is my favorite person to tickle, mainly because it's hard to catch him when he's ticklish, he's somehow immune most of the time (it's bizarre!) so when I do, I make sure to get him good & we both end up laughing until we're crying LOL

    I am usually the designated griller at our house. Hubby is a great cook and he's usually the one who cooks most our meals inside and he's definitely in charge of the big smoker outside but I usually am the one who ends up grilling! This started because when we grill steaks, I am super picky about how my steak is cooked - it's got to be a perfect medium rare! He learned the hard way that I won't eat an overcooked steak so he passed the BBQ baton to me haha. I'm happy to be the grill girl because I've pretty much perfected the art of grilling steaks to my preferred doneness and his too - medium well (which is a total waste of a good cut of meat in my opinion but hey to each their own, right?!) Last night I BBQed the most delicious Chicken Souvlaki and veggie kabobs & think that might be our new favorite summer meal, it was fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I dressed his foot and sat down and laughed until I cried for ten minutes, I remembered. I think I remember the last time I tried to tickle him i got an elbow in my face. He thrashed with no reason at all. No need for that.

      I want a well-done steak, mashed to get out any juice and not burned, but whoever cooks my steak better do it right. I cannot stand pink meat of any kind. However, if grilling my own was the only way to get it to my liking, I suppose I would be willing to grill...lol before this.

      Delete
    2. At least you didn't get an elbow to the face this time LOL

      We are polar opposites on how we like our steaks cooked but the sounds like we're exactly the same in our demands for a perfectly cooked steak - do it right OR ELSE!! hahaha I think girls grill better anyways, we're much better at paying attention and timing things ;)

      Delete
    3. Bri,
      This time, it would have been a foot in the face...lol. I still want to know why he did not say it was tickling him.

      Yes, I want it like I want it. I get sick of people telling me how awful my preference is. It is very irritating and insulting. I do know how to grill and no one needs to complain unless he wants to do it himself...lol. Most of my women friends grill except when a husband thinks he is a guy who grills.

      Delete
  5. At first I was very worried that something was seriously wrong with Tommy. Now stop tickling him. I always wanted to slap my Lil sis when she was younger and I still sometimes want to slap her.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Like I said, I got an elbow in the face the first time I tried tickling him! So, I would never tickle him except when he could not reach me. His uncle was allowed to tickle him and poke his ribs but his parents did nothing, saying, "Oh, he is just funny you." No, I told him it was abuse. But, it still has affected him. I would just slap her on the arm or lightly hit on my sister's arm. We were not violent with slugging each other. Don't hit sis unless she tries to make you clean.

      Delete
  6. I am not very ticklish, with the exception of my feet, but I dislike being tickled...I remember as toddler, to wash my feet, and it would tickle, and I hated it, even though it triggered a laughing response, so as soon as I was able, I articulated that, and she never touched my feet without permission again. (I won't even get pedicures for that reason.) I think tickling another person is every bit as cruel as striking them, and I would never do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg,
    I always had to wash my feet because I wanted to, but it tickled between my toes and my toes fought to get away from me. Mama laughed and said she never washed between her toes for that reason. I was washing my own self because I was oldest and she washed the smaller children.
    The podiatrist bothers me, so I doubt a pedicure would be any better. I agree that tickling is cruel. There is a phrase--tickled to death, which if more than a saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have read "My mother would wash my feet." (I really need to keep the cats off my keyboard.)

      Delete
    2. If you agree that tickling is cruel, why did you say "I got an elbow in the face the first time I tried tickling him?" I'm a pacifist, but I fully believe that, unless you are pulling someone to safety, or pushing them out of harm's way, you deserve whatever immediate defensive reaction you get when you touch them, in any way, deliberately, without permission. Even a hug from a loved one is oppressive if it's unwanted. Incidentally, if I remember my Physiology, (and believe me, I do) tickling can activate similar receptors as pain, as well as activate a reflexive response, (like the doctor checking your reflexes) hence, the elbow in the face. And, if you were deliberately trying to tickle him without permission, well...sorry, not sorry as the kids say.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      Tickling children to the point where they are begging, crying, and breathless is cruel. A little tickle is not a bad thing when a person is the smaller or weaker and the tickle is just a small and momentary action. He could have grabbed my hand or pushed me away. This was a reaction after five seconds of gentle tickling. No need for elbows! I am still shocked he did it. If he had kicked me when I was tending his foot injury, I would have been appalled.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...