Saturday, July 15, 2023

Chip Clip and Pens

 I have never purchased a chip clip. Nor has Tommy. He uses binder clips from his work days. I use clothes pins. When I cannot find a clothes pin, I use a paper clip. Recently, I was stressed out looking for something to hold a bag closed. I spotted my cup with ink pins. Yes! A clip on the ink pen held the package closed. That pen worked well for about a week. I love it when inspiration saves the day. 

Speaking of ink pens--I can never find one when I need it. Tonight, I found about ten on my bedside table. Now I need to put all but one back in my pen cup. We had several in the console in the car. But, now the only ones there do not work well. Tommy says they do. But, I beg to differ. So, I let him write what needs to be written. 

We knew it was going to rain, but we had things to do. We rushed home as well as we could. Actually, we did what we needed. I did rush in the house, wanting to put two burgers on the grill. I told Tommy as he came in to turn on the tank of propane. He said, "NO!" I kept insisting we could grill fast. Then, it thundered. So, the hamburgers went in the oven. 

The rain meant Tommy did not have to water the plants. But, the wind was so ferocious that I thought my hanging plants were going to blow away. Since he did not water, he did not pick blackberries. I gave him a SnapLock container that holds six ounces for him to put the next ones in so he won't have to push his walker and hold blackberries in his palm. 

Dinner Friday night--Burger in oven, potato salad, chopped salad for both of us. No bun for either. No condiments for me. I did not boil eggs yet, so no eggs in the potato salad. He hates eggs. There is little left, but maybe I will get one egg boiled for that last bit. 

The ads were disappointing this week. Tommy only circled the Dole salad mixes. Maybe that includes slaw. 

This last week, Tommy went into Belk's to get something for me in the Home section. There were few items. The clerk told him Belk's is closing out the Wedding Registry as in Macy's and other stores. She said Home Depot and Lowe's have a Wedding Registry. How sad. It seems that the registries are still in place, so this is a plan in the making. I really hate that because I bought as much or more from the Home section than I bought shoes and clothing. 

We saw a yard sale, and I had Tommy go back. I barely made it to the first table where I thought I saw towels. These were a good deal, huge bath sheets for only $3. They were very thick and appeared to be used little. I passed them up, however. I could not walk to get to other tables and items. 

Right now, there are two large bscb in the crockpot. I need to take that out before we go to bed. Oregano is the only seasoning I used. On Saturday, I will cook fresh Brussel's sprouts. 

I managed to eat about 1/3 of the loaf of Nature's Own Keto Bread. It is nasty, too thick and hard to bite and chew. Plus, the top crust is really bitter. So, I have gone back to Arnold's Keto with seeds. Granted, it more expensive but a better experience plus, fewer carbs. I tried.  I wonder what happened to the font size.

Saturday morning--I took the two bscb from the crockpot and put directly into the refrigerator on Friday night. They came out in pieces because they were so tender. I will freeze them today. 

The plan is pork chops on the grill, but I don't know what the weather has planned! There is leftover slaw and potato salad. I will be cooking Brussel's sprouts in a pouch on the grill. I need to slice tomatoes. So, that works. 

Tommy brought in one blackberry. All the others he said were hard and tiny! 

This week we will have high 90s. I think I might have impressed it upon Tommy that, yes, he, too, can get overheated. I have seen him drinking more water this past two weeks rather than coffee and Diet Coke.

Do you buy chip clips? What do you use in the place of a chip clip?

Do all your pens seems to end up in one place? Where?


18 comments:

  1. I use clothes pins. I keep some in a kitchen drawer just for that purpose.
    I have several pens that are new - I use gel pins only - and they are in a container in the room I keep any other office supplies. It is all together. I have markers as well - in that box or the kitchen drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      In a kitchen drawer was where I kept mine, too. The ones for drying clothes were in the laundry room.
      I want pens next to my chair and so does Tommy. I suppose I carried one to the bedroom or maybe ten...lol. We did have a stash in the car, but they are disappearing. Here, I try to keep office supplies together, like I did at home.

      Delete
    2. Binder clips work nice also. I have a kid that staples the bag shut

      Delete
    3. Chef,
      Stapling a bag shut could be a problem. I hope getting the bag open does not damage the bag. Well, maybe that is the last of the product. Good idea...lol.

      Delete
  2. Sara Lee Delightful bread is low carb and calories. There is a whole wheat, white and mulitgrain. My DH says it is the best one. He has high blood sugar. Tried the other ones and he said they tasted like cardboard but he likes this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Thanks. Publix should carry that. I will get some when I finish this loaf. The bitter crust was just too much.

      Delete
  3. We use clothes pins for chip clips too. We have a bunch of them, so why not use them? Your hamburger in the oven sounds so good. Too bad you didn’t get to grill them due to the rain, but there will be another day for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I just refuse to buy a chip clip when I have wooden clothes pins. I was very disappointed, but I got over it and grilled last night.

      Delete
  4. I saw this handy trick awhile back and ever since we don't need any clips at all - this works great! Took me a few tries to get it right so keep trying if it doesn't work at first because once you figure it out, you won't go back to a clip!

    https://youtu.be/GdQ35xNmiIk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      That link went nowhere. I think I know what you mean. However, if I just cut open a corner, that won't work.

      Delete
  5. Oh bummer, it worked for me, I checked it first. Try this link instead! And no, it isn't just cutting open a corner - it's a tricky way of folding it!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQ35xNmiIk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant that sometimes I don't open the whole top of a bag. Sometimes I just cut a triangle off the corner, so the folding like I saw once won't work. Okay, will try new link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun link! Thank you, Bri!

    Because of the three folds, that trick will work regardless of how you open the bag--straight across the top or with just a shallow corner cut out.

    I just tried it with three different snack bags. Some of the bags are made of much stiffer/thicker material which tries to unfold itself, letting air back into the bag.

    So in some cases I think a clip still works better because it keeps the folds tighter and the air out. It took (way too much) effort to train my fam to use clips in the first place, so asking them to do this folding trick will make their brains implode. Gotta pick your battles...

    I don't have spring clothespins. Clips are pretty cheap, and they are better than having snacks go stale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the folding trick several years ago. I figure my brain would implode. Plus, I like things closed more tightly than just that.

      Delete
  8. PS Because I bust on Tommy so much of the time, I have to give him credit when it is due: binder clips work wonderfully well! They won't break like cheap plastic ones will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      He uses what he has. Cheap is his first name. In this case, it is good.

      Delete
  9. I'm team TOMMY. I use them for all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Agreed. I borrow his when I have no more clothes pins.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...