Thursday, July 13, 2023

Thursday Blackberries

 When I boiled the 7 or 8 chicken breasts, I decided to season them with many seasonings. Tommy was going to bring me the little jars and a bowl for me to make a concoction of spices to dump into the pot. 

I used in varying amounts:

salt, pepper, basil, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed, parsley, ground sage. I love sage-y chicken or turkey. But, that is a taste for Thanksgiving. 

Wednesday night, I had chicken and more than half a can of green beans and raw purple cauliflower. After I ate some chicken, I took the rest, shredded it and had an onion roll chicken sandwich. I put just a bit MW in it. Tommy had tomato, chicken and something else.

The chicken was not just boiled chicken. All the seasonings made it delicious, but subtle. I can add it to anything I cook. 

By the way, I love purple cauliflower. It lasts longer and stays pretty longer, both a plus. I am turned off by brown cauliflower or even bits of brown that I know is just oxidation. Since it was only $2 for a huge, fresh head, I will be looking for purple cauliflower again. 

Tonight, I am boiling potatoes for potato salad that will not be ready for dinner. Of course, I mix the onion and boiled potatoes while potatoes are hot to infuse the potatoes with onion. I still have Vidalia onions to use. 

Dinner Thursday night: bought meatballs, green beans, raw cauliflower florets. Tommy will have potatoes with onion in them. He likes this simple meal. Of course, it is just the beginning of potato salad. Dinner for me: boiled potatoes, 3 meatballs, more than half a can of green beans that were drained, soaked in fresh water, and then drained again.

Speaking of green beans, Tommy opened a can of French Cut Green Beans. I hate the French Cut. I eat them anyway. I did discover they are best in green bean casserole. Now, I have to eat the rest of these nasty beans!

Tommy picked four blackberries and brought me three. Maybe I need to freeze these until I have a cup or so to make something. Some are very bitter and some are sweet. I am not sure why the difference. They are very black and ripe. We will have five more plants for next year since five of the six cane pieces took when stuck in a pot. They still survive. He may have gotten the sixth one upside down. 

Today, Tommy saw a huge yellow butterfly visiting the flowers, especially the wildflowers and the one hummingbird feeder. Then, a hummingbird visited all the flowers and the feeder. He said he stood very still so as not to disrupt their feeding and so he could enjoy them. I enjoy seeing the bees in the clover.

Do you ever get just a couple of blackberries and save them for a larger portion for jelly, or tiny cobbler? 

Do you have a preference for cut green beans or French cut? Or, does it vary with how you eat them or in a recipe? 

4 comments:

  1. I only like French cut green beans in casserole but Hubby LOVES them so I serve them every other time as I make my own French cut.
    I freeze small amounts of any berries. Just toss them in a freezer bag laid is a small cake sheet pan so they don't get mashed and freeze them. My blackberries are both, tart and some sweet even though they are the same variety and planted at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I did not like French cut, and I don't know why. But, I told Tommy to open two cans of green beans and he got the wrong cans--French cut. They were wonderful in the green bean casserole.
      I only have two bushes. He brought me four, so I don't know if they came off the same bush. I will have to ask.

      Delete
  2. Green beans are green beans in my opinion. They all taste the same - just cut different. I would freeze the berries until you have enough for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I love green beans. And, I keep telling myself they are all beans. It just is something I have to keep saying as I eat them. I really hate to have my blackberries stored two or three at a time.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...