Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Tommy Dropped a Sharp Knife on His Foot

 The weather was fit to grill when I wanted to, but I could not get the grill lit. The tank was on/open, I turned on the gas on one burner, and then punched the starter button. I did this a dozen times or so. Then, I had Tommy check everything. He tried. He consulted the Product Guide. So, we turned it off.

He was disappointed, so I told he could put it in a skillet, which he did. These were so thin, about 1/4 inch. So, they cooked and browned quickly. He had pork and beans and tomatoes on his plate. All of a sudden, I saw something on the floor in several places while he was trying to sit down with his plate. When I asked him what he spilled in front of his chair, he walked trying to see what it was. Well, he was smearing blood! Now, that needs to be cleaned up. I used a baby wipe to see where he was bleeding. It seems that when he dropped his knife and fork, the steak knife slashed the side of his foot behind his big toe. I put Mupirocin on it after cleaning it with a baby wipe. Then, I took a Kleenex and put the stretchy bandage from my iv, and that is holding it all together. 

He has refused to use the special tub I bought him for a foot wash, one just like mine with a handle. (He paid for both.) NOW, he will if I have to wrestle him to get it done...lol. There was sooo much blood. I will have to look at it to see if he needs to have it sewn up. He will either go to er tonight or doctor tomorrow.

I had put the chicken tenders, two potatoes, one carrot, and a bit of baby carrots in the oven, so I had some of that. We watched A Capitol Fourth 2023. It was entertaining. So are the fireworks behind the Washington Monument. I missed one thing, a little girl dancing to Tina Turner song, just an audience member, so I will see that again. 

People are shooting off bottle rockets all around, with an occasional boomer. It was a good Fourth, nothing spectacular. Tommy said he got four drops of rain on him when he went out to water. He brought in three blackberries. I ate one and he ate one and he threw away the one with white on it. Mine was bitter and I don't know why. 

Tonight, later, I will have some Jello and fruit. 

I am Proud to be an American. The End. 

Where did you go and what did you cook or eat on the 4th of July 2023? 



21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice day, less glad about Tommy's foot. Hopefully it heals up without complication.
    Obviously we don't celebrate the 4th of July, I was at work and it was a good day. I can't remember what I ate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow cooked pulled pork on homemade rolls, homemade potato salad, (my first ever--wasn't bad), cucumber salad, and a Watergate cake for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That sounds like a great meal. I am curious though as to why this is your first potato salad. So, you like it but never made it? Or something else?

      Delete
    2. My grandma and mom both used to make good potato salad. I like it, but have never made it myself. I'm more wondering what Watergate cake is? I've never heard of it :)

      Delete
    3. I actually don't care for potato salad enough to put the work into making it. I find it very bland. DH likes it, though, and if he wanted it, he would pick it up at the deli. (I don't think he realized you can make potato salad--honestly, I love him, but how he managed to go through life knowing as little about food as he does will never cease to amaze and infuriate me.) Anyway, while preparing yesterday's meal, I decided and I was tired of coleslaw, and I had some red potatoes, celery and a red pepper looking worse for wear, so I decided to make some. I followed the recipe I had exactly--but it seemed to be missing something. If I ever make it again, (which I doubt) I will use more vinegar, more mustard, more onion, more black pepper, and perhaps add thyme...or something. It was rather bland.

      Delete
    4. Ack....cat ran across the keyboard and sent that comment while I was typing it...pretty sure there's going to be an incoherent sentence or two as a result.

      Delete
    5. Meg,
      I also put chopped dill and chopped sweet gherkins in potato salad. Maybe that is what it is missing. Tommy is not aware of things about food. He is clueless in the kitchen or around food. I understood the comment, so nothing wrong.

      Delete
    6. One,
      Cake with pistachio pudding in cake and in frosting.

      Delete
    7. One, Watergate cake with "coverup" icing. "Filled with nuts and covered with fluff!" It's a white cake (I used a mix--haven't mastered white cake yet) made with 7 Up instead of water, to which you add chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, and a 3 oz. pack of instant pistachio pudding. I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. The frosting can be made several different ways. I sometimes use heavy cream, mixed with one 3 oz. pack of instant pistachio pudding. This time, though, I used two envelopes of Dream Whip powder (from a box of 4 envelopes, which for a reason I've yet to understand was in my pantry/4 ), 1 1/4 cup milk beaten to soft peaks, then added the pudding mix, beat some more, then folded in walnuts. Every holiday I prepare one "vintage" recipe, and this one stuck for the Fourth of July. It's far from great cuisine for sure, and I ought to be embarrassed to serve it, but it really suits warmer weather.

      Delete
    8. Regarding people being clueless about food: my boss leaves 'community' food out on the breakroom table, uncovered, all day - even things that might go bad (need refrigeration) or get stale (bread, muffins, cookies). Just no clue about anything to do with food. Pretty sure he either eats prepackaged foods or eats out every meal.

      Another coworker (high level administration) said, "Oh, is that an air fryer? I've never seen one. Is it like a microwave?" All I could think was "tell me you have money and don't cook, without telling me you have money and don't cook."

      Delete
    9. Alice,
      I went to catered meetings where the upper level just walked away from the food on tables. A couple of women and I always went into the kitchen and started wrapping things for us to take home. We put what was left in the refrigerator. Someone always came in and rescued everything.

      Delete
    10. Alice, I was late getting an air fryer, but I knew what they were. How can people be so clueless???

      Delete
    11. Meg, that is a better description, for sure. Thanks. I think anything is a great cake.

      Delete
    12. Meg - ok I think I'll have to pass on the Watergate cake, LOL. I don't like anything with coconut in it. I've never had pistachio pudding, either. I do like pistachios...just never thought of them as a pudding? Hmm. maybe I'll have to try the pudding

      Delete
    13. I love pistachios and hate pistachio ice cream and pudding.

      Delete
  3. The starter button for the grill should have a battery behind it. Unscrew the button and replace. This fixes most of ignition problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks. We started it once for about 30 seconds after setting it up. I would not think of a battery this soon.

      Delete
  4. It was warm, but we were outside most of the day at a family get together. I made deviled eggs. Ate a burger with no bun, two hot dogs with no buns, a bit of coleslaw, and a couple of the eggs.

    In the evening, I took my daughter and the grands to a fireworks show that was maybe the most miraculous fireworks display I've ever seen. Got home way too late for having to get up to come to work this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      When I am out like that in the heat, eventually my hair is hanging like a bucket of water has been dumped on hair and body. I like to eat without the buns, too.
      It is nice you got to see a great fireworks show. I have not seen one in years. But, I am okay with that.

      Delete
  5. I am impressed by the sharpness of your knives! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      Impressive, huh? And, it was only a paring knife.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...