Wednesday, July 5, 2023

No Grill and Frying Squash and Kool Aid

 When I unwrapped Tommy's foot, it appeared okay so far. When I mention doctor, ER, amputation, death, sepsis, and blood infection, he scorns it all. He asked, "Why do you have to think of the worst things possible?" Well, it could be because you scoff at any injury or infection and the need to care for it. 

If I even scrape my leg the least bit, I put antibiotic on the scratch and watch it. He wipes away blood and says it will be okay with no washing, covering, antibiotic, nothing. Now, earlier in my life, I was not so meticulous. Now, I feel I have to be. 

We sat around a few minutes after I cleaned, medicated, and bandaged his foot. Then, he wondered aloud how the carpet should be cleaned. I have oxyclean carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. I tried using it on an old stain once, and it did nothing. I sprayed the oxyclean on the half-dozen stains, we let it sit, and I tried to blot and scrub. Not much came out. Then, I did it again. I had bought a long handled scrub brush for the outside of the commode. He took that and scrubbed and most came out. We let it dry and vacuumed it. Now, we have light spots where we had stains. 

The carpet is beige and rarely even vacuumed. So, I don't think we took away color. I think we just cleaned the round stain spots. 

I still have not tried the grill lighter today. But, I will even though we are not going to grill. We want to see Driving Miss Daisy and Gone With The Wind. So, we have plans from 7 pm until 1 am. We will have more of the pork and squash with onions. Tommy may have other items, too. Okay, we tried the grill. 

When I watch GWTW, I usually am more interested in the architecture than the actors. I am fascinated. I think I saw this first when I was six-years-old because Mama wanted me to see it. Of course, she had seen it when it first came out. 

We went out about 4 pm to get grocery ads, Tommy's med, and milk. It was so humid and hot. As I got into the car, my glasses steamed up. Today and yesterday, according to the experts, are the two hottest days ever. I believe it. 

This humidity along with heat and outdoor air pollution is causing me to have asthma problems. It is hard to breathe, hard to stop the wheezing. This weather suffocates me! 

I don't want to use the oil or expend my time standing or energy to fry squash. So, I have cut the squash and onions (last week). I put them in a bowl, salted and peppered them and sprinkled some cornmeal over it all. Now, I will put it in a skillet with a bit of oil and "fry" it. It is not quite the same as fried squash, but it has the taste. 

I used about a Tablespoon of oil and a heaping Tablespoon of cornmeal. There is less corn meal and oil. They were delicious.

I made KoolAid and thought it was an artificially sweetened version. No, nothing, no sweetness at all. It was yucky, so I choked and tried to spit it out. It went up my nose. So gross. I can still feel it hours later. I have Swerve, but need to find it. 

Dinner--Tommy had pork roast, last of pork and beans, squash and onions. I had pork roast and squash and onion.

Now, I have been watching Driving Miss Daisy and GWTW. Yes, I know they depict racism. 

Is it terribly hot where you are? 

When was the last time you had KoolAid? 

12 comments:

  1. I drink orange, lime and lemon aid koolaid through the summer, the kind you add sugar too. I haven't made it because Hubby only wants sugar free (no fake sugar or stevia) drinks in the frig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Those are the only flavors I won't drink...lol. I go for grape, cherry, and strawberry, just like in Jello. I do not need the sugar. I have Swerve here and cannot locate it. I think it is on a shelf up high. Is your husband diabetic?

      Delete
  2. I stopped drinking Kool Aid, and most sugared drinks, as a kid.( We never had them that often anyway. ) The exception for me now is the odd Margarita at a Mexican restaurant, or a pineapple daiquiri on the beach. I also dislike artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes like Stevia and Swerve, and don't have them in the house. Generally, my household follows my parents' edict: When you are thirsty, drink water. I do buy orange juice, and the odd case of a niche soda for the kids, however. But, again, it's a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      We had little KA as kids, same with my kids. I had rather have Swerve than alcohol...lol. Mama mostly made us drink water for which I am grateful now.

      Delete
  3. Hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that will take out blood stains.
    I don't know if it will work now that you've used a bunch of other products, but it won't hurt to try.

    Pour it straight out of the bottle onto the stain. If it bubbles, it's working. When it stops, blot it up and then pour on some more. Repeat until the fresh pour does not bubble at all.

    If it doesn't bubble on the first pour, it won't help because of the other products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I got the blood out. I know how peroxide works. It is good.

      Delete
  4. PS: What was your reasoning for buying a grill? You can't or walk for very long, the hot weather is bad for you, and you have an extremely narrow porch. I say this out of concern: Outdoor grilling seems like the very last thing you should be actively pursuing.

    You'd be better off selling the grill and buying a George Foreman Grill that you could use at the table, while you are comfortably seated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all work out. I only have to step outside the door and put on food and get it off. I have no intention of standing at the grill.

      I thought about a George Forman. If I were going to do anything, I would return it, not sell it at a loss.

      Delete
  5. PPS: I hate Koolaid, always have. I find stevia disgusting in all forms. But I do like a diet grape, orange, or lemonaid soda when I am tired of ice water or unsweetened refrigerator herbal tea.

    Now I think I'll go make some sugar free lime and orange jello, with chopped canned pears and mandarin oranges, respectively. Lime jello with canned pears is just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Obscure,
      What circumstances led your never having Kool Aid?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...