Friday, May 10, 2019

Books and Hypertufa

Hypertufa garden art and molds
hypertufa


Ugh! A stalled cold front will bring more rain.

Well, it will be good for my plants on the table. The only way to insure chipmunks don't destroy plants is to sit them all on a table or the swing.

I have been meaning to visit the used bookstore where I have credit from some of the 800 books I purged about ten years ago. Since I had resolved to only get books from the library, I have bought few books. Besides, I needed to use the rest of the gift certificate I gave to Tommy for his birthday one year.

THEN, I read she is selling the shop and said everyone should redeem gift certificates and credit. So, I went there before I even came home today. I really don't know what he would like, but The History Room was where I started.

As it turned out, I needed to have the gift certificate, but I used my credit and got three books:

The Yankee Comandante by Michael Sallah and Mitch Weiss.  I was not aware this book was about Cuban Liberation fight. But, I will read it and expect it will be worth the time. $3 for a  hardback--160 pages.

American Creation Triumphs and Tragedies and the Founding of the Republic by Joseph J. Ellis. I suppose the title is self-explanatory. $5 for another hardback--270 pages.

The Civil War Years A Day-By-Day Chronicle by Robert E. Denney. $6  and 606 pages. This book really does go one day at a time. Sometimes, one date has entries from MS, Antietam, and Charleston. Many of the entries are from letters sent home. Other entries are from published books. I think this book will be interesting, something to take in the car to read when I have waiting time.

Thursday, I learned to make pots from perlite, peat moss, and Portland Cement. This will make stepping stones and many other items.  We started at 6 pm, actually, a bit earlier than the class should have started. By 7:22, I was through and had gotten the food provided.

Our snack, mint tea, pasta salad, and brownies. Little boys came in and ate all the brownies from the community building. I am not fond of mint flavor. Salad--rotini pasta, grape tomatoes, and asparagus, and oil dressing. The tomatoes and asparagus were raised at the Agriplex. I have never had raw, crunchy asparagus. I would use it in a salad.

This is a nasty project, calling for a mask and heavy rubber gloves. The pot will take months to dry for used and needs several steps in the meantime to finish it.




6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun project, so happy to see you are up and blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Thankfully, I have gotten back to where I want to be. Well, I want my old blog back.

      Delete
  2. I want to make several of these pots for my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I think you would enjoy the making and use of the hypertufa pots. There are so many things that can be made from the hypertufa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. … pleased you got to the bookstore,

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...