Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Me or the Cat

One of us is going to kill the other. I was coming into the house tonight and she decided she was coming in, too.  I tried blocking her with my legs and feet, hissing at her, hurrying, yelling. She does understand "NO."

I was carrying a cut-down box with bedding plants in it. I managed to drop the whole box and damage some of the plants I picked out so carefully. Then, still fussing at her, I managed to close the door across the top of my big toe. I then fell backwards and hit the picture window. I heard it crack. While I have not looked at the window, I am hoping it was just the glazing or something that is not glass that I heard cracking.

The neighbors down the block could have heard me yelling at this stubborn cat. After I dropped the box of plants, I almost ripped off my big toe as I was trying to not step on plants and close the door, and fell against the glass of the window, I staggered to the bed, making lots of noise from the pain. And, of course, there is not anything in this house that can be used for pain, not even an aspirin!

My plan--get a flyswatter and tie a plastic bag to it. I will hang it on the porch. She hates the sound of a plastic bag.  I have no intention of hitting her hard, just enough to let her hear the plastic. Hopefully, she will back off when she hears it coming.

My neighbor took out my garbage tonight. I have picked up garbage every morning this last week. Whatever is getting into the garbage can now gets it all over the steps, besides the yard. And, this new can has a lid that sort of locks. Whatever gets into the garbage does not mind chewing on kitchen foil.

Tommy gave me two bungie cords from his trunk. He said he remembered my saying I might have to use bungee cords.

Today, I had an appointment at 1:30. At 2:30, I asked what happened since I had the first appointment after lunch and he was in the waiting room when I arrived. The receptionist told me a walk-in new patient came in before me and he had to see her first. WHAT???

Then, he stayed with me for an hour. By the time I got back to town, I was drained. I put gas in the car because there were few people at the station. I paid $2.18/gallon.

Since I forgot apples when I went to Publix on Monday or whenever I went, I got a few grapes, and strawberries, and apples.

Any suggestions as what to do to keep the cat from killing me?





.

6 comments:

  1. That cat sounds dangerous, I hope you get it worked out. Sounds like the kitty kryptonite is the plastic bag. Sounds like a good idea. I guess I would tell you what I am telling myself, just take it slow. I hopped off my deck last month and rolled my ankle so bad it is still swelled and painful 6 weeks later and could have been SO much worse. I admit I was hurrying at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,I remember your ankle. Did you get an MRI? I always take it slow except that last moment of stepping up into the house when the door is open. I have decided I cannot, must not, open the door when the cat is near me. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Well if you step on her enough she will learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, True! If I fall on her, she will learn better.

      Delete
  3. Hi. This behaviour is correctable. When this situation arises, stop in your tracks, and count to five with no sound, no touch, or eye contact; that will help to chill her out/ limit her confusion. have a treat ready, and put it off to the side of where you need to walk; it will move her, and teach her that if she gets out of the way, she will be rewarded. give quiet pets and praise when the exercise is complete (you have arrived safely to you destination). females can be jumpy, and she may be hungry, feed small amounts multiple times a day, keeps them calmer also. I wish you luck with everything, marianne :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marianne,
    This all makes so much sense. her previous owners said they fed her once each morning. So, it am not sure what to do as they got up with two infants and I sleep late. I feed her once a day and it varies because she does not keep regular hours, either.

    My disability will keep me from standing still too long since I am struggling to get up steps and into the house. I suppose I will have to carry cat kibble in a pocket so I cam toss it to one side and get by...lol.

    She has had the operation. Will she still be jumpy? I will feed her ore often.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...