Friday, June 14, 2019

Transformation

Several months ago, I talked to a young man who was cooking in a store and giving out samples. I asked him, like I do all the young people who are cooking samples, if he knew how to cook before he started his present job. I don't remember his answer.

But, I found out they have directions and videos to watch about each recipe. He said he really enjoyed cooking. Yes, he did learn things he took home and employed when he cooked. I was impressed.

Another time, he told me he was going to quit buying meals/snacks and cook for himself. He asked me if I thought he could feed himself on $50 each week. I assured him he could eat well on that amount of money.

The last time I talked with him, I asked him how he was doing spending $50 on food. He answered in the affirmative with a broad smile.  As we talked, he said he still had some food waste and really hated that. I suggested he get a gallon freezer bag or a quart jar and put bits of leftovers in the jar for soup. He said soup was okay in the winter but not now.

Well, by winter, the bag will be full. I pointed out that some people clean their children's plate of leftovers and use it for soup even if there is chicken or beef on the plate. That grosses me out, but if the parents are eating the soup, what do I care?

He thought this was a great idea and he would start doing that.  I told him some people put leftover lettuce in the bag in the freezer.

He thought it would grow e Coli. I assured him it would only grow e Coli if the lettuce had it on it when he put it in. There are a whole lot of "its" in the previous sentence. I suggested he search the internet and go to .edu or .gov or .nih for correct information.

He even bought an Instant  Pot. I was proud of him and amazed. This young man will make it and at least save money and be healthy.


Finally, he told me with no prompting or questioning why he started cooking. He balances his checkbook each week. He found that in one day he had spent $30 eating out. That did it for him. He was smiling and said he had even lost 12 pounds without even trying. I was congratulating him when he said that it was not much. I pointed out that gaining just ten pounds each year for the next 30 years would be tragic. Ten pounds is not much. He is actually very slim.

I suppose there is yet hope for young, single men!


4 comments:

  1. Smart young man! I hope he makes a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      The fact that he has stopped his spending and reversed his course on that front leads me to think he will do well.

      Delete
  2. I wish we could teach that to all of our teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been raised by his grandmother as his parents died when he was young. She or someone said he was cooking the old-timey way.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...