Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Beautiful Tuesday

This has been a glorious day, around 80 and breezy. The skies are blue and the clouds few. It's a rare summer day. Of course, I got hot. 

I set the alarm for 7:30 this morning so I could get up and wash my hair and get to the doctor by 9:30. Since it is only 3 blocks away, I don't worry. However, I set the alarm for pm instead of am, so I suppose if I don't turn off the alarm it will go off in a few minutes. I left wit wettish hair.

Since today is Tuesday free lunch, I did not want to be long in the office. I told Tommy to come and sit at the curb instead of my driveway, and I would just pull in the driveway and come to the car. Since I did not have lipstick in my purse, I ran in and got it and we left for the church. We got there sooner than usual and I applied makeup in the car. 

Tommy really liked my purse. It is too small, so I am going to get a larger one. I cannot carry my Epi Pen, diabetic tester or diabetic shot. Of course, if I left my makeup out, I could...lol

He thought the shoes were pretty and was shocked at the price. But, he knows how many shoes I have bought since I met him in 2006. I thought it over and remembered buying two relatively inexpensive pairs that were leather and cost $39. They were not well-made. 

For lunch we had baked spaghetti, bread, and a salad of lettuce. tomatoes, cheese. I had small piece of pie. The guys were there playing guitars. My friend who had colon cancer was declared free of cancer and had lost 30 pounds since the surgery three weeks ago. 

There was a prescription for shoes awaiting me at the doctor on the country road, so we left to go out there even though I knew the office was closed for lunch. I had a plan.

My best friend who died in May 2001, was buried on the way to the doctor's office. I cried over the names of him and some of his relatives. John had a beautiful stone commemorating his 100 missions over Vietnam, his title--major--and a portion of the poem "High Flight." 

I cried over his cousin's daughter who died too soon as a result of a doctor getting her hooked on opioids and then refusing her more or a way to get off them. Sad. I called her mother and cried more.

We took a little more time to drive since the doctor's office was still not open. The cows and goats looked happy. One yard full of junk held a trolley and an old train engine, the kind with little protection from the elements. It was all pleasant and calm, no rain or forecast of rain. 

We went to a food bank. Frozen fried chicken in a deli box, frozen deli rotisserie  chicken, frozen 3 lbs. ground turkey, 2 apples, 2 oranges, small bag of baby potatoes, wonderful strawberry cake. There was a lot of other stuff that I won't list. He got all the fried chicken and half the fruit, more than half the cake. He got half the garlic bread. I have only listed about half of what I was given.

He got two of the tomatoes from Farm's Market on Saturday and enough greens for two salads. I would give him more but he says he does not want salad every day. I do! 

I cooked 2 lbs of ground pork, added ginger and a bag of slaw. It worked great in the crockpot, and I put the crockpot in the refrigerator overnight. I did not want to buy or eat soy sauce and could not figure out what I did with the rice vinegar. He said it was good, that he would eat it again. I put horseradish on mine. We had green beans and strawberry cake. I ate the cake filling only. 

There are plenty of choices of food here that are not fattening, so I need to eat lots of salads. I have lots of Romaine and market tomatoes. I love salads with a bit of protein. 

I cried too long and too hard today, so feel drained but content.



6 comments:

  1. It was a great day, wasn't it?
    I am sorry you were so upset today. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I cannot imagine how the day could have been more beautiful. I won't think about how all my friends in one family are gone tomorrow. And, we are due for several more beautiful days.

      Delete
  2. I am glad your friend is now cancer free and it was very kind of you to visit the other friend who passed. I guess your whole day was like a summary of what life is. Nice weather, good food, happy thoughts, grief etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well sometimes crying can be cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ki,. That's true. but I have other things that I have cried about in the last month. And, things won't get better.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...