Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Majorette Boots--Remember? Sale Food

Image result for majorette boots for little girls to wear in the 1950s










Ah! I erased, somehow, this post. I hate to start over.

When I was in third or fourth grade, my heart's desire was a pair of majorette boots, white with a tassel. Lots of little girls wore them just because. Mama finally got me a pair and I tromped around in school in majorette boots. Lots of little girls were right with me. It must have been a horrible noise. We wore them in the schoolyard, too, running, swinging.

Do you remember this shoe trend? Did you own a pair of majorette boots even though you were not wearing them as a majorette.

Yesterday destroyed me, physically and emotionally. So, nothing got done today.

Oh, my friend who takes trash to road and brings it back to the house has overstepped his bounds. I have a life decision to make and he wants to order me around. He badgers me when he is here. I told him I wanted someone to wash my dishes, to pay them. He volunteered to wash the dishes and harassed me "to decide, Now! listen to me, what are you going to do?" He offered other alteratives like I did not know anything. The 4-hour harangue made me determine to find other help, even if I have to pay for the help. He never charges me to do anything...just little chores neither Tommy nor I can do.

Since that kind of emotional harassment distresses me to the point I am lifeless and depressed for several days, I made new arrangements to get the garbage can to the road. It turns out that the city will get a garbage man to come get the garbage from the back yard and bring the empty can almost to the same place. I will have to move the empty can about 15 feet. I can do that.

There are still dishes!!!

I found Idahoan mashed potatoes on sale, the single serving plastic container. I bought two @$0.49 each. For lunch the other day, I made one in the microwave and only ate about one-third of it because of the carbs. Then, I had the rest of the squash and onions. I suppose the potatoes will be for tomorrow and maybe the next day. This will be $0.33 for each helping. It is probably not all that healthy, but beats other things I could eat. This is my first time trying this product.

At this same store, there were good prices on Enfamil and Folger's Coffee. Since I don't consume either, I had to move along.

Do you ever see great prices on things you don't use and wish you had a reason to buy and save money? Silly, I know. Today, I have eaten very low carb--rotisserie chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, milk, boiled egg with Miracle Whip and called it egg salad. Oh, I had M&Ms.

Tell me about your majorette boots. Maybe your mother had them.  Surely some of you had them.



12 comments:

  1. I remember the majorette boots. I wanted them, but never got them. They were more of a want than a need so I didn't get them. Teddy bear winter coats were popular then, too. Remember they were brown and furry, with different colored trim on different coats. I also wanted one, but never got it. Money was scarce in our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carole,
      Money was not scarce when I wanted these, otherwise I would never have gotten them. There WERE scarce times, though.

      Delete
  2. I never had majorette boots. They are cute with their tassels. When I was in about 7th grade the fad was white go go boots. We were all wearing go go boots that year. We all thought we were so cool.

    My house is such a mess right now. My husband already has enough to do, with helping me, and doing all of the regular stuff, and grocery shopping. Luckily he has been able to take time off from work as long as he needs to. I have no stamina yet but am getting around with a walker pretty well. Still have my stitches in my knee, a lot of them, It's a longer incision than my other knee had.

    Today's big project was practicing going down and back up the front porch steps and into the house with the visiting physical therapist. She is so good and patient with me. We have one hand rail on our steps and I am having to use the walker turned sideways as a support on the other side of my body to get down the steps and up them. It is super terrifying to me, but I did better today than I did Monday. Monday, I was so weak and worn out, and scared of falling, I even cried a little bit, so embarrassing. With the first knee surgery I just used the handrail and went up and down sideways easily, but with this knee, the hand rail being on the side it is, doesn't work out to go down sideways. After that I was worn out, feverish and shaking. Have spent the rest of the day eating early supper and then I fell asleep for two or three hours. Now my leg muscles are sore.

    I'm not comfortable hiring someone I don't know to clean in the house.I know how goofy I am, forever more, every time I couldn't find something, I would think they took it. I guess the mess will wait, and I will heal and be able to get stuff straightened up around here someday a little at a time. Made me think of my Mom saying to me, "You better straighten up and fly right". Which just begged me to make a smart "A" comment back to her, but I knew better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had a torn meniscus repaired at 7 pm, I got home about 10 pm with a friend from another town who had never been in my house. I learned how to used a walker in the dark and on gravel and I learned to go up steps in the dark! And with a walker. So, I cannot imagine how hard it must be with a knee replacement. The people I know who have knee replacements are powerhouses and have lost weight. Thankfully, I won't need one. I can see how exhausted and frightened you were. I might have cried, too. The therapist has seen it before. Don't be embarrassed. I hope you recover quickly.

      Delete
  3. They say if your PT does not make you angry or cry they are not doing their job correctly.
    I do not remember the majorette boot craze, but I was seriously smitten with the idea of go go boots. My parents declared they were a fad so I got none and was devastated because I was the ONLY 6th grader in the free world who did not get any. My best friend not only got the boots , but a few years later when long "fall" hairpieces were the rage she got one of those too. Another time she got a pair of undyed denim short overalls that you would draw on on with permanent magic markers, and another time she got fishnet panty hose. Yeah, once again____no fad items for me. And I wonder now why I am not fashion forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      You poor, scarred child! Tommy is younger than I am, as are you. He said he remembered The "tall, knee boots." When I said 'go-go boots?' He said 'yes.' I did not get all the fads either. I guess we learned a lesson about fads.

      Delete
  4. How about posting an ad or asking a minister to put up a notice asking for household help? Do not get bullied by your "friend". Call the police if this jerk is badgering you. That is harassment and you don't have to take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lst thing I want is a nosy church person! As long as I don't call him or need him, he won't think he has the right to tell me what to do.

      Delete
  5. When I first started coaching here in Idaho the team wore majorette boots. I thought they were cute but so old fashioned. I bet they make a comeback! I think your neighbor is just worried about you. If you cannot do your own dishes, that is a problem. Maybe he feels that you should not be living on your own. I can see not being able to pull a large heavy trash can, but not being able to stand for even a short time and do a few dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I still think of majorette boots fondly. NO, he is badgering me unmercifully, in my face, trying to get me to see life his way. Do not defend his treatment of me. Yes, there are problems, but he also obstructs others helping me. That is control freak.When he wears me down over four hours and I can barely think for three days and am exhausted, that is abuse and crossing boundaries.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...