Friday, July 12, 2019

Personal Crisis, Spending Money, Saving Money

I lost the remote. I know, not in your world. Tommy offered and got down on his stomach to look under furniture where I suspected it skittered. Then, he went to WM and bought me a universal remote. I could not make it work, woman friend could not, but guy friend did. I was drained.

Tommy drove up to attend a East Cullman Senior Baptist Fourth meeting. I took slaw which was mostly eaten. The patriotic music was wonderful. The food was great. There were more desserts than savory dishes. I regretted I could not taste them all. Preaching was at a minimum.

We drove out to the Dutch Oven Bakery, the place I get my chickens. Well, the house is next door. There was a chicken walking in front of the bakery/deli. Soooo cute. I spent $1.25 on three pieces of candy. There was a lone hen by the front door. I wanted to chicken-nap her and bring her home.

I had to deliver a urine specimen to the lab at the hospital since I could not produce one last week. The valet person got me in a wheel chair and then walked away with me sitting outdoors in the mother of thunder and lightening. I really feared I would die in the metal chair as I sat under the canopy.

Then, the new tires with paid for early in order to get a $70 rebate. Thursday was the last day. one of the tires is split, I am told, and continually leaks. The tires on the car were ten years old in 2018. However the tread is perfect. Michelin Defender tires should last 80K years, , but I typically get more miles from tires than is expected. Tommy lent me the money. MAKE THAT 80K MILES NOT YEARS

As we neared my house, we saw blue lights in the distance. Tommy was turning to avoid the area as I was begging to go closer to see the wreck. He pointed out that the car was in a flooded area. That makes me nervous. Two blocks west and two blocks north. But, I am higher.

Since I had on new sandals, I dreaded walking in the house. I tied bags over my feet and waded in picking up limbs so Tommy could get in with his two canes. I was soaked and had to change my clothes. At one point, water was three or four inches in some places. I have never seen such a rain and accumulation. Barry has made himself known.

Tommy is so slow. He said he got out an umbrella and figured he could not hold an umbrella and two canes. So, he got a blanket and wore that in. It is soaked still..

The squash casserole did not get made again. But, I cooked squash and onions to take home, along with cream style corn, ham, and slaw. At this point, I wanted him to leave so as not to get into more rain along with rush hour. on the trip to B'ham.  Without being to able to get the radar channel, I could not tell where the storms were.

Just before the store closed, I thought I would beat the Friday crowd to get  Pict Sweet Frozen Vegetables. The only vegetable I wanted was Brussels Sprouts. And, there was only one bag left. I already have a rain check for $0.99 Suddenly Salad. I got the one bag and forgot to get a rain check. The only other vegs on sale were various iterations of corn.

I am washing clothes and hanging them in the house except for sheets. I believe the dryer uses more appliance than any other. Of course, the ac runs non-stop, but that is medically necessary.

Ordinarily, I don't waste food. But, meat sealed from the factory was put in a freezer bag. When I retrieved the cheese for the squash casserole, it was sitting in a leak from the meat. So, out goes the cheese. I hate that.

A banana beyond redemption for most people was mashed and stirred into a glass of milk. If my grown children were here, they would try to get a drink of this. When they were little, I tried to sneak and drink this. Of course, ripe bananas are hard to hide due to the sweet smell.

Is the rain from Barry hurting your area? Do you have Pict Sweet frozen vegetables? These are the best frozen foods in my opinion.



12 comments:

  1. We did not get a drop of rain last night, but I could look over the valley and see we were the only ones not getting any.
    I have one super ripe banana that I am going to peel and stick in my banana bag in the freezer. DIL loves banana muffins so I will make her some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have been in your enviable position of no rain and could see storms on the radar.Not so yesterday for about a half hour. I have not made banana bread in ages. I should.

      Delete
  2. No rain here in the bay area. I hope your weather improves!

    I've never heard in banana in milk! I also make banana muffins from overly ripe bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii,
      Not a drop of rain amid the blue skies and sun today! The banana in milk is great. smooth and few chunks.

      Delete
  3. Tires will wear out, after so many years, even if not used. My DH only had like 40k miles on his pickup...in like 12 years LOL, but had to put a new set on, because the rubber just wears out, with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. onr,
      These were good for ten years, only good through 2018. Sure enough, they stsrted leaking in January.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine that kind of rain. We have had a few flash floods here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I could not imagine that kind of rain, either. But, it lasted less than 15 minutes. Lightening lasted about an hour.

      Delete
  5. Those universal remotes are great for working when you've lost the original remote. Glad your guy friend was able to program it for you. Sounds like you've had way too much rain, I hope it dries up for you soon. Sorry you lost that cheese, what a bummer. I like the Pictsweet vegetables too, especially the baby brussel sprouts. They are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belinda,

    It has ready dried up. And there is no rain like that in sight. The baby brussels were $2.29 and not on sale. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Pict Sweet which sounds like a Scottish dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pict Sweet is a brand of frozen food that is very good and reasonably priced.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...