Tuesday, July 30, 2019

What was wrong with the squash?

Slide 31 of 31: This colorful dessert from the Volcano Bay water park at Universal Orlando not only looks the part, it has all the flavors of a fruit salad with layers of banana, blue raspberry, orange and strawberry ice cream. So if the water slides don’t cool you down from the Florida heat, head to the ice cream stand near the entrance as this certainly will.

Read more: From Starbooks to Duffin Dagels: world’s most cheeky fast food knock-offs

From Orlando. Does this look delicious or not?

Today, Tommy came. He picked up a mattress pad for me at WM. Actually, he bought four and I kept the one I wanted. He took the other three and something else he bought that needed to be returned tonight as he went home.

When he arrived this morning, he called and I went out. He took me to Belk to return the purse. I love the purse, but it is not quite large enough. I asked him for his credit card in case mine did not have enough left or the purse was more expensive. I returned the purse and chose another. Because the clerk was totally clueless and did not have a lot of sympathy for my back problem, I told her I would buy it in the shoe department. I can sit there.

I got to the shoe dept and changed my mind after using my card and Tommy's to buy another purse. I told the shoe lady I was sorry, but to refund this purse because I just did not like it. And, would she please get the original purse and sell it back to me? She did not complain or sigh or anything. I will find another purse another time and still have this one I can use on certain occasions.

The whole time, I hurt so bad I could hardly think. Tommy is not the type to get impatient, thankfully for him....lol. Oh, he knew I would pay him back what extra I needed to put on his card. In the end, I did not use it. Well, I did and then got a refund for both our cards.

For lunch we had the spicy chicken pieces and butternut squash cut in spirals, cooked in a bit of olive oil, maple syrup, and one dash of cinnamon. It still had a texture to it. And, I forgot to give him some to take home, so I will freeze it for him. Apple pie was the other thing we had. He loves apple pie. this must have weighed three pounds! I sent the rest home with him.

I finally made the squash casserole for dinner, and the squash was tough! After an hour in the oven, it was hard around the skin. Tommy said it was the texture of squash in a salad. Who knows why some of these squash were so tough? I took the rotisserie chicken and tried to remove the legs, but ended up removing the thing and leg. The other was wrapped for him to take home. I had eaten the breasts. He had chicken, squash casserole, and tomatoes.

Everything except the dash of cinnamon, squash, the two Tablespoons of olive oil, real maple syrup, butter came from a food bank. I used a coupon to buy the squash from the Farmer's Market. We ate well and cheaply. These meals were a little high on carbs, but not our usual low carb count.

I bought the squash last Saturday. Do squash get tough when that old--4 days? Help!

Oh, a blogger friend sent me an Amazon card just because. I am going to use it for something I want for my September birthday.



6 comments:

  1. What kind of squash did you cook? I am not a big fan of winter squash so I rarely buy any of them and am little help with your dilemma. I could eat yellow summer squash every day when it is in season, but I am not a fan of frozen squash either.
    Have fun deciding what you want from Amazon. Bloggers can be so kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It was yellow, straight-neck summer squash. I have eaten squash all my life and have never had this happen. Yes, it was a very kind gesture. Freezing squash makes it mushy, but I doubt this would ever even soften.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you send food home with him.
    I wouldn't have thought squash could be tough but I'm not a great fan of squash any day so I don't eat it often

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      So does he love the way I send food home with him! My cooking is what he wanted before he met me...lol. I love squash and have never had squash like this unless it was huge. These are tiny squash, so it is a mystery.

      Delete
  3. That's so great that you have him to help you and sweet of you to send food home with him. I'm not sure about the squash, that is odd for yellow squash. I hope someone else has the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda,
    Our relationship started online. We emailed for about six months, more or less. I would always tell him what I cooked for dinner. He complained of clearing jungle from the backyard. I commented that I had a jungle, too. He said he would work on my jungle in exchange for a meal. That was how it started and has sort of been that way ever since. Only now he cannot do physical work with two canes or a walker that he cannot do without as he cannot take one step on his own.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...