Saturday, August 17, 2019

More Stolen

I went to my house and looked in on the yard. My large glass table and small bistro table are gone. Two metal benches are gone and the matching table for one of the benches. My PLANTS in pots are gone. My turtle pot is gone. This is along with three chairs from yesterday and other stuff.

I am sick about this.

I actually know the chief of police, so I called him today. There are lots of places with cameras near me. Anyway, a policeman let me on my property, on this morning and one tonight. Now the two swing sets are the only things left besides my expensive picnic table. Plus, someone took my sterling silver, about $5000 worth. Think what I could have done with that. It was for my oldest daughter, but not now.

I still have the clothes on that I had on Tuesday, only with a shower! A woman bought me two pair of pants and four blouses. None fit. I went back today and picked out four more things and brought them here. None fit.

My foot is killing me. I awoke at 4 am and did not want to take one of the narcotics I had for the foot. I would still be groggy did during the day. So, I will take it early tonight. The doctor did not want to give me anything strong, so I got maybe 8 pills. I promised I would not ask for more. I told him that if I stayed awake with pain, then the foot would never heal. I don't take otc for pain because I like my liver and kidneys. It is almost 8 pm and I am exhausted from being out and the heat. It was 98 here today but with low humidity. I am not complaining about the heat.

This morning, I went to a food bank. I got eggs I can scramble and cook in microwave, potatoes I can microwave. When I told them what happened, the woman rushed around and the man said he would help. I got forks, bowls, plates, and plastic red cups. So, this is better. They let me come into the food room and I asked for Miracle Whip in the squirt bottle. It was out of date by six months. It was okay tasting. She kept piling stuff in my box. Other than canned stuff, I got milk, eggs, and bread.
n
I went to another place and only took the tuna and was happy, then I was sad and said to no one, "but I don't have a can opener." He said, "Yes you do." and went to the church kitchen and gave me one of theirs. `

I went to the Farmer's Market and called for my favorite guy and the only person who I know by name. I asked to buy one tomato and told him what happened. He did not have tomatoes but went to another farmer and got me one. I made it clear I wanted to pay. He said, "Just come back and shop with us."


So, I had tuna mixed with MW on bread and tomato sliced on it. I guess I will bake a potato and put cheese on it for dinner.

When my diabetes injection froze, the pharmacist said not to take it. I decided to take the pill morning and night since I did not have morning injection. The doctor wholeheartedly approved and the pharmacist suggested I do so after I had. It took hours and an act of congress to get it replace. The pharmacist yesterday tried. The pharmacist explained about my house and how it froze. So, I got the Victoza. I went to two doctors trying to get my med. The first would not write a Prior Authorization which led me to second who did write it. Even then, he and I talked to people on the phone forever!

I need fruit. I will have to go through the one box where the woman just kept adding things. Oh, I asked for a roll of paper towels, which they readily gave me. I guess I am set for a few days.


This was something I never told you--every time it rained, water came through and onto my bed. So, I spread plastic there and sometimes slept under plastic. I did turn and put my head at the foot of the bed where I did not have to use plastic. I try to be tough, but it is hard. It is humiliating, but I would do anything to have my own place. I had not had hot water for almost two years! The new dishwasher could not even work!


The house was appalling when the guys came in. However, one guy came over to me and said he could tell how nice I decorated it at one time because of all antique chairs in one room and the pictures on the wall. I think maybe his opinion of me rose.

Everyday, I take laptop to a business and they charge it. Now, they come out and get it and bring it back out because they have seen how I am limping.


Well, it is about 8:15 pm on a Saturday night. I think I will take that pain pill and turn off the computer. I am going to eat and then maybe come back and read blogs. My day has been hard, very hard.

38 comments:

  1. What a terribly difficult day you have been through! I am glad you are able to have help at the Farmer's market and the church. It sounds like your house has been in very bad shape for some time. I am surprised you could live in those conditions-sleeping under plastic when the rain came through the roof. You have put up with more than you should have. Maybe all of this is a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      no blessing in disguise--another platitude.

      I will live through anything to have my home.

      Delete
  2. It makes me mad that they wouldn't let you, or one of the firemen or other workers, if there were any willing to, go into the house to get your valuables, but the thieves sure managed to get in there,steal your valuables, and out again safely.

    I'm glad you have been able to get some food and your medicine, and a can opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      Yay for a can opener. Yes, the thieves don't mind breaking the law.

      Delete
  3. Is there any possibility of removing your possessions and putting them in a storage unit somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is heartbreaking but Im encouraged by the people who are caring for you: the business coming to get your laptop, the market vendor, the church folk.
    I know it's little comfort but maybe it helps you feel less alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I could not manage without it. My foot still hurts. I resorted to an opioid last night. I still have to come to the motel alone. But, you are right.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. That is what I don't understand. You would think that family would be first to help at this time not internet strangers. I wouldn't worry about what your kids won't get when you pass.

      Delete
    2. Well said. I hope the children and her have a relationship where they can take her in. Even Tommy's place may not be perfect, but why not stay with him? I'm shocked you have five thousand dollars worth of silver but a hole in the roof and used the food bank. I hope you get things sorted quickly and safely.

      Delete
    3. Blog Reader,
      This silver is from many years ago. I also had $5000 in cash from insurance to use for the roof but roofers promised to come and did not! I used the $5000 to mitigate the water damage and can account for every dime.

      Delete
  6. Please, please forgive me if I am overstepping in this difficult time. I also know you have to maintain some privacy. Is there an address (maybe the motel or Tommy's address) I could send you a very small Walmart gift card? I'd love for you to have a change of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      You can still send it to my address. After Tuesday all mail will be held for me.
      Linda DeGroot
      113 6th Ave NE
      Cullman, AL 35055

      Angie, Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  7. Linda, Please contact me also. I'm only a couple of hours away in southern TN. It would do us (my husband and me) good to be able to help you in some way. Diane (dedee0626 at aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your resilience in the face of such daunting circumstances. In the same situation, I doubt I would be anything like as strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nick,
      I am emotionally tough,, but being older--73 on Sept 11--things are harder on my nerves. Plus, this is not helping my health! Thanks. I know nothing to do except perservere.

      Delete
  9. Dear Chief of Police in the town where you live; As soon as you arrived on the scene, you`re valuables should have been searched for, and put in your hands;they are all you have. i would call the chief of police, and ask that they please check local pawn ships; some of your stuff may be there, i believe they can confiscate it as stolen goods. Just shameful. Also, the red cross should be of more help to you, you can try calling their national 1-800 number as far as new(for health reasons) sheets, shower curtain, towels/washcloths, better/safer hotel/motel... i know you want no advice, but as you own the land, perhaps habitat for humanity(you could even write a letter to jimmy carter, care of habitat for humanity, besides calling and e-mailing the org.) may be of some help, maybe a pre-built tiny house, or maybe put up a small house fast? these measures are immediate, and may have immediate results, which will certainly make you feel better, and more in control of your own destiny, thinking about alternative/elderly housing can come later, you need quality of life to come now!! good luck, i`ll be thinking of you, marianne :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Dear,
      They pried open back door and left it open. People started looting the inside that nght!!!I have called all sorts of numbere

      Delete
    2. Granny Dear.
      Did not mean to post. cont...the ones you suggested and others. Thnaks a lot Need a house for sure. I am going to start a go-fund me. And have a donate buttone at Practical Parsimony at my old blog.

      Delete
  10. that`s pawn shops, good grief, i`m a genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Dear,
      You made me laugh when I went back to see what you wrote...lol.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. There are thieves everywhere. They've stolen so many of my Dad's things. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait...didn't the city supervise removing stuff, and putting things into a storage unit that you had to rent? Then why in the HELL didn't they also take the outdoor furniture, and mower, and such? I would put a claim into the city because they are the ones who left things to be stolen -- what the hell?

    Seriously.. they might as well have put up a "free" sign on all of it.

    Sounds lazy and heartless to me. If they were securing what could be salvaged... they should have done a better job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      Write me on pparsimony@yahoo.com

      Well, maybe you did and I have not checked.

      Thanks for the thoughts.

      Delete
  13. I am so sorry for what you are going through. It does sound as though your home was already a health risk and a possible danger to you as well before this. I would encourage you to contact the red cross as well, along with churches and other disaster organizations and if up to now you have not beengetting every single benefit you are legally due. I do think the city/police have fallen down on the job here. I also encourage you to contact your chilcren if you have not and ask them/allow them to help you. along with any other family you have even if you may not be on the best of terms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Cheryl, unknown, and blog reader. Sounds like your house had issues for awhile. I would seek help from family and friends. You said your kids know, so why aren’t they helping you? Maybe Tommy, would let you stay with him until you an get your feet back on the ground. (I know you have looked out for him, so he should be okay with helping you out) maybe this was a blessing in disguise with the condition of the house (issues with heat, water heater, etc) ...even though it doesn’t seem like it now. Maybe Red Cross or habit for humanity would be able to help?? Even a local church.

    I’m sorry you are going through this, but you seem like a strong/social lady and I’m sure things will work out faster than you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never consider this a blessing of any sort! Friends know about this already. Nothing.

      Delete
  15. I am sorry for your sorrows; I am glad to see there is some support here in your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice to see your community food banks supporting you at this sad time. You are a strong lady, you will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate this is happening. You may have discussed this and I missed it, but don't you have homeowner's insurance? I assume they are the ones paying the motel. I would think you could make a claim against the city as well, for forcing you off the property without securing your personal property.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have community food banks here in the UK too, folks who use them always say they are good and helpful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. my dear PP,one more point i forgot; if you can, please file a police report on your stolen silver, be sure to describe all pieces in detail. then if you can, cruise the local pawn shops to see if they have any of it, if so, they police can confiscate it as stolen, and they have the seller on record, they would have had to show ID, busted!! at least if you recover some, you could benefit from that. stay well, and take care :>)

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...