Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Whistle Stop Cafe

I had insurance when the roof was damaged by tornado in 2008, I think. After that, it was not insurable with unrepaired damage. Lots of people were cursing roofers who would not show up after the whole town was torn up. FEMA would not repair my windows blown out, saying, 'her family can do that." Well, neither of my three children lived in the town and neither were capable of making those repairs.

I have no 401K. Let's leave it at that. I do not have to explain the minutiae of my life.

Many people thought I was foolish going to UAB and finishing degree I started years before. They thought I was foolish to work on two degrees and one time and foolish to get a MA. I do not regret doing what was best for me instead of doing what others thought would be best--get a job a Tyson cutting up chickens, working in sewing factory, getting job as grocery clerk. The list goes on. One person said sarcastically, "What are you going to do with all those degrees? Paper the walls with them?

My mother would be proud of me. She was proud I owned a home!

I did not blame anything about my house on anyone and I cannot imagine what that person means. When you call roofers every week and mine was a small job and no one comes when they promise, that certainly is not my fault.

Sunday, when we went to the Birmingham Public Library, Tommy took a bad fall. Two men started to grab him and pull him up, but I shrieked not to and he just need a chair to pull up onto. His walker broke! When we had to go to Cullman on Tuesday, he had a prescription called into N.A.R.E., a place that has durable medical supplies. $163.00 later, he had a nice walker. He has bruise on his hip about 8 inches in diameter, a cut inside the bruise that is four inches long and nasty looking. He has a chunk out of his arm and shin. He says the new rollator is much lighter to put in the car. So, I got up way too early.

I told him I would bring him anything he needed at the time he had no walker. He came to my door, TURNED ON the light and told me his coffee and cereal were ready for me to bring to him. UGH. When I fix lunch and dinner, I bring that to him in his recliner, but at least I am awake!

Today, I had a dermatologist appointment. He took a little nodule off my neck. I tried to cajole him into taking a little bit more skin from my neck. He was funny, but, of course, would not. I insisted on knowing the names of all the various growths that have blossomed on my skin!


Several years ago, like five years, I was bitten by a mosquito on the crook of my elbow. I scratched it so, the place became thick skin and still itched. Finally, the thick place about 1/4 inch across started sprouting black hairs. Doc said that scratching intensely would cause black hairs to sprout. I wondered if I could scratch my head and make my hair grow thicker. He is bald and young. He laughed heartily and said, "Well, if that were the case..."

Afterwards. I asked Tommy if we could eat at the Whistle Stop Café in Irondale, the restaurant from "Fried Green Tomatoes." Fannie Flagg wrote the book from which the movie was taken. The Irondale Café is the actual restaurant where we ate. The mac cheese was nasty. The waitresses were efficient and curt. But, the place was packed. A meat and two and tea for both of us was $30! He insisted on tea. I could have drunk water. At least the tea was wonderful.

Anne, maybe others, will know this road. We drove a long ways on Georgia Road, a scary place. Maybe it is only scary at night. I have driven it at night and had to dodge the ladies of the night and drug dealers. Finally, my friend moved so I did not have to go there again. Well, except when I worked in Gate City, a place where cable guys refused to go even with two men in the truck.

I had another doctor appt tomorrow back in Cullman, but I cancelled that!

Tommy's house is nice and cold and evenly so. That makes me happy.



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me. I don't know how to fix it. But, if you go on GoFundMe, search for t neel and the house will appear.

      Delete
  2. Cullman AL? We have friends in Huntsville and Hubby lived 2 yrs in Pell city area...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were going to move there and decided against leaving state because his parents and my brother (care taker of Daddy) got sick. Really small world

      Delete
    2. Chef,
      Move to what city? know lots of people who stay put because of family.

      Delete
  3. I'm just getting caught up, what a nightmare. I'm glad to see that you are somewhere safe and can get some rest, even if it does cost coffee service, lol. I bet you made the dermatologist's day with your funny comments and picking! I will have to back and catch up on comments to see if there is anything that I can come up with that hasn't been said already. Try to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T'Bravo,
    At least he has one now. One morning was enough. dermatologist was laughing at my trying.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...