Friday, November 29, 2019

Black Friday Scare

I had Tommy wake me at 9 am. I was up late. After I stumbled into the living room, I sat and finally had Jello with fruit. Then, he was soon ready for lunch of turkey sandwich and a Granny Smith apple. Ooops, I forgot to give myself the injection for diabetes. Unfortunately, I had very little left in the vial, but I injected it anyway.

Around 2 pm, I decided to take the night pill since it basically does the same thing, I guess.

From noon until about 2:30, I tried to get my endocrinologist but his office manager would not give him the message because he will not prescribe unless I am in office. I was fit to be tied. So, we headed off to urgent care where I go. I left the first office after signing in because they said they would not help me. We went to another who let me get temp and all that stuff done, THEN they could do nothing. Once again, I was much miffed. My blood sugar was 91 and going down.

Finally, I called the office back home, and they called in the one other prescription. Yet, none of the same offices down here would call Cullman, offices with same headquarters.

When my blood sugar was 91, I had a nurse get Tommy. He came in and had drunk the orange juice and the pb crackers. Rats. This young, frightened woman said she could not give me anything because I might be allergic to it. She will not get far in health care. Sure, she has to be careful. She told me to find a vending machine. I staggered out and found four pb crackers in the car.

On the long trip to the pharmacy, I just knew something would happen and I would not get the injection I needed. I did. But, since I took the night pill about noon, the pharmacist told me to wait until tomorrow to start the injections. Two of these vials last 13 days, and I get two prescriptions per month. It makes no sense.

We stopped by Piggly Wiggly and got a few things for the Iron Bowl and more six packs of orange juice. Sometimes, we take a bottle or two with us and can bring them back if he does not drink them.

When we got home, I rested a minute or ten. I made us a plate and microwaved it. I ate too much. Now, I feel like I need a nap.

I was worried about the traffic at rush hour on a Friday night, and a Black Friday with shoppers at that. The traffic was light. Tommy surmised it was because so many businesses were closed. True. And, I supposed most everybody that was going shopping was already there. I was stressed at the prospect of so many people on the road, but obviously I was just borrowing trouble.

Since I spent my pumpkin pie baking time on the road and sitting in doctors' offices, I will bake during the Iron Bowl.

The weather has been so beautiful here. And, the temperatures in 60s.

Oh, today, I received a huge package, the third from a blogger. Inside there was a nice warm coat, a cute green and a cute pink dress in the same style. I haven't tried them on yet, but I know they will fit. There were lots of items, including a dressy sweater that has lots of pearls, beads, sequins and decorations. It is very tasteful, not gaudy. There is so much more. Thank you so much. I received it before I left for the doctor, so rushed through it and am now going though it again. This is fun.

My medicines, two of them for diabetes, would have cost me $820!

8 comments:

  1. I don't understand why diabetics meds are so expensive. Where are people supposed to get the money and be able to pay for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      The price is horrifying. I know there are people who just do not take anything.

      Delete
  2. I shudder whenever I see you post a blog entry with this sort of title.
    I am glad to read your blogger buddies look out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urspo,
    "just wait until the doctor opens on Monday." was not a comforting messages from doctors. I was really afraid of the prospect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot understand the price of meds. Inhalers are so expensive, things that everyone uses all the time. It is a crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I did not have the money to spend, over $820, so I would have had to do without. I wonder how many people never get meds they need desperately.

      Delete
    2. It seems they could be more understanding and helpful when you have something as scary as you do. There is just something I can not figure out here as to why you don't get better care when you need it so bad. Still stumped as to cost. Was it always this costly or did it just go up in the last few years or so? One of my meds went from $6 to $98.00 in one year and now is $67 (this is the monthly price).

      Delete
    3. The doctor said they were not there to treat diabetes. I told her that the doctor who discovered I had diabetes was at the same institution. And, that he prescribed my meds and kept watch over my numbers and symptoms, asking me every time if I had tingling or loss of feeling in feet. And, that the doctor who changed me to the Victoza was one of their doctors. AND, that I knew there was a central site that could override rules. She was stone-faced and unmoved as she emphatically told me they were not for primary care. I pulled out one of their brochures stating what they did. "Primary care" was the first thing on the list. I do not pay the full price ever, so I don't know how the price has risen. My price would be over $1600. If it were not for Medicare and Medicaid, I would just have to die.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...