Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Free Lunch and Veteran's Celebration and Other Stuff

We went to Cullman today and had a meal at a church--soup, cornbread, half a grilled cheese sandwich, huge piece of pound cake with whipped cream and fresh blueberries on top, unsweetened tea. I gave Tommy my soup and he gave me half his sandwich. There were peas in the soup, so no thanks. I only took one bite of the pound cake, one bite of whipped cream and none of the blueberries since I am told to lay off fiber. Bummer!

I had things to do, and when they were done, we came home, arrived here about 3 pm. I wanted a chocolate ice cream from DQ, so we got one on the way out of town. We just got a mini size to save money and we were not hungry, just wanted a chocolate cone. One day when I felt so bad two weeks ago, we went to DQ for a chocolate ice cream fix and they only carried vanilla! That was a bummer. Does your DQ have chocolate ice cream?

We went to my house and just sat for a moment in the driveway. It felt really good and painful, too. I got to talk to my old mailman. I was supposed to meet the city arborist, but had to settle for a telephone conversation.

Tonight, we had pork loin with bbq sauce, sweet potatoes, and sliced tomatoes. That is the last of the burnt meat. With bbq sauce on it, the scorched taste/smell was hidden well.

I went to the Farmer's Market and bought pecans and tomatoes. The pecans were $5/pint bag. I got four. That is for all winter and came from money allotted for groceries for the month. Tomatoes were $6. I believe I got 8 good-sized tomatoes.

Today, I wore my black outfit, burnt orange sweater, and statement necklace. Next time, for the Christmas dinner at this church, I will wear the black outfit with a red sweater. Remember, the top is sleeveless so I can handle wearing a sweater indoors. Today, it was low 70s, so not too hot and not too cool. In the car in the sun, it was hot without the ac.

I sat in one office for about 30 minutes and Tommy was at the curb and had lowered all the windows, so I know it was hot for him. I left that office with the issue unresolved.

The program at the church before the meal was for a Veteran's Day celebration. The tables were festive with red/white/blue place mats and napkins, flags and flowers in vases. It made me sad that people talked about all the men who served in the armed forces. My mother was a WAC! I almost cried that she was left out! The music, poetry and all was very uplifting.

Do you have or have had a female family member in the armed service?

Tomorrow, I have to search for Crest or Colgate tooth paste that is not mint or gel. What are your plans?

8 comments:

  1. what flavor is toothpaste that is not mint? I thought they all were mint of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I don't think it is a flavor, just without the word "mint" on the label.

      Delete
  2. My mom was in the Air Force too. That is where she met my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to learn more stories about the women that served in previous generations. Last year a the high school program for Veterans Day they highlighted the upcoming graduates that had joined any branch of the military and so far it was all girls-three as of November. There of course were more by the time the kids graduated, but it was interesting that all girls at the time of the program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I wonder why there only girls at the time. I only know the stories of my mother.

      Delete
  4. My daughter was in the army and my granddaughter is in the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhh,
      That is wonderful for both of them. My niece, raised by my mother, joined the Air Force.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...