Thursday, December 19, 2019

Dandelions, Snowflake, Star

It is 50F today. When I awoke, the house was too hot so I turned the thermostat down from 66F to 64F. At 2:30 pm, I finally put in the turkey we brought home last Thursday. Then we put the other turkey that was in the freezer into the refrigerator. I had hurt my right wrist, so not much fun. You should have heard the two of us grunting getting one turkey out and on the counter, into the turkey bag, into the oven and then getting 2nd turkey out of freezer and into the bottom of the refrigerator! Whew! We were a grunting pair, doing things that hurt both of us. I think I will stick to bought turkey breasts in lieu of free turkey.

With 50F temperatures and even warmer in the past two weeks and expecting more heat next week, it was not surprising to see dandelions everywhere when we went to the PO. I suppose my daffodils are blooming back home. I have tulip and daffodils bulbs to plant in pots here. I just need Santa to bring me a bag of dirt...lol...potting soil?

I received the last of my three cards from the card exchange. It was from Canada. I got my white Christmas on the card, all white and sparkly. Inside was a wonderful surprise--a white crocheted snowflake. I kept talking to Tommy about the star I got. NO, it is a snowflake. I bought a couple of crocheted snowflakes once and used them to crochet another. I know what the crochet shorthand means. But, it is easier for me to follow a crocheted piece than the directions! Crazy, huh?

Since I badly sprained my right wrist, I won't be crocheting any time soon. My sprained wrist is why my last Christmas cards had poor handwriting. Plus, I was writing on my leg. And riding in the car.

The oven was set on 250F yesterday and it was almost at 400F. I will need to keep an eye on the oven while I have the turkey in there. Brussel Sprouts and baked sweet potatoes will finish off our dinner tonight. The sweet potatoes will barely fit on the shelf beside the turkey. Tommy said he did not care about dressing, so there will be nothing to raise blood sugar overly much. We can probably turn the heat off. Or, it won't come on with the heat from the oven.

Together, we finally threw the pumpkins into the trash can. My chickens would have liked them. I miss chickens.

I knew I could not get a turkey from the sink to turkey bag sitting in a pan beside the sink. So, I took the two dish drainers stacked on the left side of the sink and put them in the two crispers from the refrigerator that he said had been sitting there for five years. I had already thrown in the trash some of the junk in there, including a coffee maker carafe that he said had been there for years. Then, I had to scrape of the dirt, stains, and roach poop from the counter. ICK! Now, I have about 3' on the left side of the sink. It is a relief. He did not fuss. I told him I could not get the turkey in the pan with so little room. I suppose if it means he eats better, cleaning and moving are allowed....lol.

Only one gift is under the tree. It's for Tommy. He noted it was the perfect size for the tree.

When I removed the turkey from the oven, I had to have a taste. It is delicious. Tonight, I may go to Dollar Tree looking for pans to bake banana bread. I may even get disposable ones.

How are your Christmas preparations coming along? Any dandelions blooming?

8 comments:

  1. Could you cut the raw turkey into a few pieces? That would make it a lot easier to handle. If it all wouldn't fit into the oven at once you could bake it separate...or even simmer some and get broth out of it for soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Husgavarna turkey roasting pan that weighs 25 pounds put a turkey in it and you can hardly lift it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thanks for understanding. My wrist is sprained, i have hand problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, torn rotator cuffs, back problems and lifting a half gallon of milk hurts me. So, i do the best i can without a knife to cut up raw turkey. I did not know Husqvarna made pans. And, i hate to repeat the litany of aches all the time!

      Delete
  3. every time the weather changes my body lets me know about it. Doesn't matter if it is getting warmer or colder though colder seems to hurt worse and longer. The house is decorated as best as it's going to get. I made cookie batter tonight to chill over night to start cookies tomorrow.Already have the Christmas pudding and a fruit cake set aside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Che,
      Only my sinuses inform me of change...lol. I am going out to get pie crusts to make pies. I have pies to make, maybe drop cookies. Maybe banana bread or pumpkin bread. I have never had a Christmas pudding.

      Delete
  4. Turkey and Brussels Sprouts go so well together :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...