Tuesday, December 10, 2019

One More "Gift"

Since I came here, Tommy's front door lock has not worked. He never locks the door at night. One day when I panicked, he showed me it would lock. It took him ten minutes to jiggle it and twist the little knob to get it to work. I was incapable or locking it. It could probably been jiggled loose from the outside, too.

So, yesterday, I bought him a new door knob. I did not give it to him yesterday so as not to have him blow up on his birthday. I told him I had something he would receive today. That annoyed him. I was going to wrap it, but I could barely move this morning. So, I tossed it in the bag. He opened it, examined it and okayed it. Whew. He will install it this afternoon.

He does have a deadbolt but refuses to use it when we are in the house. I do understand being locked inside in case of fire, but I would leave a key in the lock. We use the deadbolt only when gone from the house.

There is no light at the front door or on the carport. So, going to the laundry I have to use a headlamp and a flashlight to see to get to the laundry. Plus, the light in there does not work. None need bulbs. All need a new socket. He refuses to spend money.

I stood outside at the front door in the pitch dark, frantic to get to the bathroom and tried to get the key in the deadbolt. I had to screech at him to come in a hurry. He had to get out of car, get walker out, and slowly get up the ramp. I was humiliated by the experience and furious he would not take care of the lights. I found a light switch that ran by battery and was led. It hooked to wall by magnets or Velcro. The only place to put it was on the brick. The wood was not wide enough and would get wet. Well, when we left today the "switch" was lying in the rain by the door. So, now I have to figure out something else. I may put this in the laundry room/utility room and get another for the front door. It is dangerous without light outdoors. He says he can see fine.

Earlier, he would have yelled at me and not allowed the new doorknob or light.

Before Thanksgiving I asked him how long it had been since he had had a light in the oven. He said he had never had a light in the oven. When I asked why not, he said there is no place to put one. Well, there is an empty socket! I told him so and he denied there was a place for a light bulb/lamp. Now, I have to figure out how to get down on my knees and get a light screwed in and get up. He cannot.

The other day, I asked him where his backscratcher was located. He gave it to me. I had one big, thick, long fuzzy sock that I stuck onto the backscratcher, used Endust onto the sock and dusted the tv table and tv. I also dusted the little table he moved to use for the tree. No reaction.

Monday, I had a very restless night. Sleep was fitful. I awoke today with bad earaches and congestion, sore throat, body aches, just feeling awful. I left the Miracle Whip out a few days ago. It was almost empty, but still a waste. Plus, I miss it. We went out today to PO to mail Christmas cards, such as I had ready. I got my Miracle Whip!

Now, 4 pm, I am home and ready to have a cup of chicken broth. At least, I have a dr appointment tomorrow. Tonight is an easy dinner, casserole with turkey leg and chicken breast, can of cranberry sauce, green beans, and a halo for after.

I need to finish Christmas cards and one gift to mail after dinner. No I will mail it tomorrow, not after dinner.

There are still cards to be addressed and mailed, and at least two gifts to be wrapped.

If anyone has anything critical to say about what I write about Tommy, save it because your comment won't be published even if you are my favorite commenter! Other bloggers criticize ad nauseum other people, yet no one says a word. You do not know the whole story. And, NEVER bring my ex-husband into any discussion. I will start a new blog for that...lol.

This is posting early today, and I am going to start dinner.

Today, I needed a box to mail one thing. After finding nothing sturdy enough or small enough, I went to UPS. The box was about 9"x6"x6" and was $4.50. !!! I passed on that. I can do better by making a box or looking elsewhere! I was trying to cut down on postage costs, but I can use a larger box and pay the excess postage if worse comes to worse.

First thing I do before cooking dinner is try to stand long enough to put icicles on the tree. I like only white for a tree skirt. At home I would grab a piece of white material from my stash, fold it and cut a circle. Here, I used a white towel to look like snow. I know we will be wearing icicles until the tree comes down.

How are your plans for Christmas coming along? Mine are almost finished, just tying up loose ends.

6 comments:

  1. I really hope you get well fast. Behind on decoration and cards and getting the kids' money to them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks. I keep thinking i actually so little to do and so little energy. Hopefuly, tomorrow i will be on the mend.

      Delete
  2. Linda, for decades I’ve used an alternative to a bought tree. This year I found a big branch, put it in a sturdy vase and hung on it all the tiniest baubles I have and my fairy lights. It looks good and cost nothing!
    I hope you can light your way very soon to the laundry room. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never would I ever challenge you about your personal life, or the people in it. I've recently needed to share living space with a curmudgeon. An older man, set in his ways, hard of hearing, loved to get high in the evenings. Also was crabby as shit driving me somewhere "What's the address? Is it a street or an avenue? Shit it matters! Turn where?" and I'd just get out where he stopped and made my way to where I needed to be :) It's not their fault and they don't mean to be obtuse, but....they get frustrated. You have a great heart and you know Tommy. It is what it is and you express that so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. diana,
      Thanks for the laughs I relate to everyday. Yes, I have never given him directions in the right manner or used the right words for him.

      One day, I said turn here. He turned and glared at me, while he barely made the turn, continuing to berate me for telling him how to get there when he knew where I needed to go. I was calm and waited until he passed the business. I said, and you just passed the store that is where you knew to go. He was humbled and had to make a turn onto a highway and then onto another highway just to go around the block. That was over ten years ago. He rarely tells me he knows where he is going, just waits until he gets it right and tells me then. lol

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...