Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Cooking All Day. . .

Okay, not all day. Tommy, who can never stay awake for 30 more minutes at night after midnight managed to stay awake and alert until 3 am for a movie he wanted to see--White Heat. It was good and had James Cagney. But, it was after 7 am before I finally went to sleep...ugh.

I awoke at 11:30 am and thought about cooking. Since I am supposed to wait an hour to eat after I take a pill, I waited. I was famished and had to eat. Then, I discovered I had no bananas!

About 1 pm I gave Tommy a pound of Navy Beans to sort. Well, I asked him. I usually do it over the sink with water in about five minutes or less. He took over an hour. I said nothing because I don't care.

In the meantime, I washed so many dishes and at 6 pm am not done. I can only wash a couple of pieces and then must sit.

When he finished sorting the peas, I brought him 3 pounds of potatoes to peel. That took over an hour, too. He barely skims off the skin and leaves many little black dots on the skin. You may eat those; I want them gone. So, I redid them and put them in the kitchen. He did do the hard part--peeling. Navy Beans are in the crockpot.

I could not find the package of beef ribs I thought were in the refrigerator. He looked and found them still in the freezer. sigh  Potatoes and beef ribs are in the oven, salted and peppered. I have no onions and forgot bell peppers and celery.

Then, I had him slice  the head of cabbage. His hands do not bother him. Plus, all I can find is my paring knife. I asked him to peel off the outside leaves first and came in to find him just peeling the whole thing...lol. Then, I had to show him how to slice it.  I will put ham in the cabbage or in the peas, not sure.   I had put water in the crockpot before I put the peas in. When I checked the beans, there was NO water. Thankfully, I caught it in time.  I don't smell scorched beans, so hopefully all is well.

I made coleslaw since I now had a clean bowl to mix it.

All the vegetables will last for at least three days after I freeze some of the one pound of cooked beans. The meat will be gone by Friday.

We have an outing planned for Saturday, so I want to cook chicken for sandwiches. I will put out chicken to thaw today.  Soooo . . .

ham
ribs
coleslaw
cabbage
Navy beans
potatoes

Jackie Clay said coleslaw can be frozen. I will try that. Also at least two helpings of the beans will go into the freezer for later.

This is more cooking I can usually do in one day. I think I am so sleepy and bone-tired I have lost all feeling. Plus, I have washed soooo many dishes.

I managed  to knock a small Corelle bowl off the counter and it shattered into so many pieces with 4 large pieces that I can find.. Okay, I cannot get rid of italics. There is no broom here, so Tommy is going to vacuum it. Is it gone? Yes, it is.

I have no idea why I have no onions or bananas! Me tired? Definitely.  I went yesterday out to the store especially to get Navy Beans. Then, we looked in the huge garbage bag of cans from the food bank and found two pounds of Navy Beans. We will have them later.

When I was reading the Birmingham newspaper and saw a new Jazz Festival in town. I was absorbed in wondering if we could get in with our problems walking. Usually, we have to walk so far I cannot make it. I pondered this, giving up going but really wanting to go. THEN, I read on and Anne in the Kitchen's son's name was in the paper. At this point all I know is he is one of two people's names. I am not sure if he is first person playing, joining the venue or one of the person's in charge. I don't even remember the venue. Now, I really want to go.

It's 7 pm and dinner will be done about 8 pm.  Maybe I can get some dishes washed that I used. I  went in and I had forgotten to turn on the oven. So, I had a bite of cabbage. I love cooked cabbage. I love everything in the list of what I cooked. I should have prepared the two pounds of carrots.

Mmmm...we had beef ribs, potatoes, and cabbage for dinner.

9 comments:

  1. Share how the frozen coleslaw worked.please. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me hungry for cooked cabbage. I am like you are when it comes to potatoes, I don't want to see any weird dark tiny spots on them, or skin either if they are for mashed potatoes. When I make baked potatoes I scrub the skin hard, because I like to eat it.

    I made roast chicken breasts still with its skin and bones, and baked potatoes for dinner tonight. It made it cozy in our house.

    We had a winter weather warning threat down here today, it was cold, gray,raining, sleeting, freezing rain, and snowing here, but so far hasn't accumulated too much. I hope it doesn't do anything else overnight because I have to get a wisdom tooth pulled tomorrow. I broke a big piece off of it
    . I fear it will start hurting if I don't get it pulled. As it is, I keep a piece of paraffin wax on it because it was shredding the inside of my cheek. I'm just doing local anesthetic for this tooth. I hope this dental surgeon is as good with local anesthetic as my regular dentist is. Winter in Missouri has not made me happy since I was about 13 years old, then I outgrew it. I outgrow it more every year that I am alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    I cannot eat skin on any fruit or vegetable and it makes me sad. Tommy hates potato skin, so he did not mind peeling the potatoes. Cooking in the oven does make a house cozy.

    We had bad storms and maybe tornadoes on the forecast. But, it is just raining so hard right now. I saw lightning out the one window that I can see from. Now, it will be all rain until tomorrow night. I used an emery board to take that sharp point on a broken tooth from eating up the inside of my mouth. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon to extract a broken tooth. I paid a lot of money to have a root canal on it, then it broke off.

    I hate snow, freezing rain, sleet, the whole winter thing. Right now, it is almost as good as summer here. Maybe we could all live in a balmy place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested to know where you saw the jazz festival notice. I have heard nothing about it from my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It was thrown in the yard in a pink bag and in what looks like a section of section of The Birmingham News, Birmingham Life, E2. I am surprised.

      Delete
    2. I get the pink bag too and found the paper. It's not my son but I am going to tell him about the festival

      Delete
    3. Anne, I saw jazz and just assumed it was him. Sorry

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...