Friday, February 21, 2020

Friday and Garden Plans

Friday night dinner was leftovers--chicken, steamed broccoli, sweet potato, and strawberries. After a busy afternoon and then a nap about 4:30 till 7 pm, it was good to have dinner done already.

Today, I had to go to a meet and greet for the research project where I get all plants, seeds, earth boxes, dirt, just everything I need to raise plants. . .all for free. Everybody gets the same products, plants, and tools.

This research projects is to measure all the benefits of raising a garden--eating more vegetables, happier, lab tests better, etc. Remember a few weeks ago i donated toenails, poop, blood, and saliva to the research project?

I do not have the information out, but one thing I have to do is keep a journal of things I do, think, and questions for my mentor. All mentors are Master Gardeners. We need to take lots of pictures and send then in.

Tommy has a tiny patio where I think I will put the earth boxes. We will see. Somehow, i have to get a seat to sit on out there. If Tommy comes out, he will have no place to sit except his walker.

I don't like to use commercial pesticides. They are supplying all sorts of plant products from a brand called Safer. Have you ever used these? Know anything about them?

A MG told me assuredly that they were organic. I assured him arsenic was organic. He assured me they would never give me arsenic. He missed the whole point.

I will have all products I need and someone to do the heavy work. So, gardening will be possible once again.

The meeting was at 1 pm, so we ate lunch before we left. They had refreshments. We both took water and various little snacks. So, we spent nothing for food out today.

A stop by Piggly Wiggly and I have bananas and chicken bouillon. I think that makes about $15 spent this week.

I meant to say that my oncologist gave the research group my name so they could contact me.

12 comments:

  1. After you get your boxes where you want them and your soil into them hopefully that will be most of the heavy work done, that I can think of, if they are going to be on a concrete patio. I hope you enjoy gardening. I haven't done much vegetable gardening except for a few tomato plants(which the squirrels got most of) and growing potatoes in a container. Which was so much fun, plus the variety I had (ones from the grocery store that had sprouted) had such pretty pale lavender blossoms. I could have harvested even more, but I didn't know about hilling potatoes until quite a while after I planted them. Harvesting them reminded me of the fun I used to have hunting for Easter eggs as a child or hunting for buried treasure.

    I mostly loved planting flowers and herbs, but haven't been able to for two springs. I don't yet know what will be happening this spring. Probably just planting a lot of zinnia seeds, and maybe 3 roses if my husband can do the digging and planting. My new knee couldn't dig a hole in the ground right now if someone held a gun to my back, (though I don't know why anyone would do that).

    I'm looking forward to reading about your gardening experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      This research team is still looking for people in four other state. Next week, I will post those states for all the bloggers. My knees, back, hands, and shoulders will not cooperate with digging. These will be on his tiny patio. Maybe some will be on the ground. Maybe I will get some pavers to make a little patio larger. We will see. I am going to use a garbage can to plant potatoes. That way, no hilling or digging. My friend planted in a barrel, same as trash can...lol. She put six inches of pine straw from her yard and about a gallon of yard dirt in the bottom, put the sprouts on the bottom and covered with an inch of dirt. When the sprouts had leaves and stems, she lightly covered with about three inches of pine straw and kept going that way. You would only have to have someone dump the trash can over to harvest. Dumping them on a tarp, plastic, paper or a sheet would help with the picking up and not leave a mess in the yard.

      Maybe you could try that.

      I will have flowers and herbs!!! I am determined.

      Delete
  2. Linda, good to see you still putting up the good fight. I haven't quite caught up on your blog yet, but I'm happy to hear your gardening plans and see you're moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy,
      Yes, still fighting! I went to your blog to see what has happened with you. But, I have not read one post. I will read many.

      Delete
  3. I will enjoy following your gardening. As you all can start earlier than us up in the north, maybe I'll learn some things and actually be successful this ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Follow along. Hopefully all will yield good food and maybe lots to eat from my garden.

      Delete
  4. Your garden project sounds neat. I'm sure you will do well at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      This will certainly help me to get supplies since all mine were stolen. I think I will do well. thanks.

      Delete
  5. Chicken, steamed broccoli, a little sweet potato, and strawberries sounds a good mix :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Thanks. It seemed perfect to us. The strawberries were eaten without sugar or anything.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...