Monday, March 16, 2020

Free Medical Supplies, Apple Betty, doctor,

Sunday night, I baked chicken, so we had baked chicken and a huge salad since I used a whole Roma tomato in each salad. I froze four boneless, skinless chicken thighs for him, and six boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the two of us. I put one whole breast and a half breast in the refrigerator for a chicken sandwich for lunch and the other breast for us to half at dinner Monday night.

We have to be away from home at mealtimes on Monday. I will pack a chicken sandwich, water, halo, o j, and pb crackers. That should hold us over.

When the chicken came out of the oven, I had an Apple Betty ready to put in the oven.

Apple Betty

4 cups sliced, pared apples (4 large Granny Smith)
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter

Butter the 9"x9" dish. Put apples in dish. drizzle with orange juice. Mix dry ingredients and butter. crumble over the apples. Bake at 375F degrees for 45 minutes.

What I did with recipe or used to do: Instead of slicing the apples thinly, I cut them in larger slices and cut the apples into chunks. When I have not had orange juice, I have used lemon juice. I melt the butter for the dry ingredients and mix all with one fork. I dump the topping onto the apples in different places and use my fingers to pinch up pieces to cover the apples. And, as noted, I used less sugar, about 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup. Got it? Clear as mud? I may use some brown sugar next time.

As I was at a medical appointment this last month, I received free medical supplies. I commented that I intended to use gloves in stores to avoid contact with coronavirus. The person asked me if I wanted more. I hesitantly agreed. She turned around and pulled a wad of gloves from a box. I stuffed them into my purse. 17 nitrile gloves!

Later, she pulled out a two pads about 18 x 24. I laughed and said that with incontinence, I might be shopping for those in the future. She pulled out a stack and told me to stuff it into my purse. I had the pink purse that is quite large compared to what I usually carry. I came home with 24 pads. Those are in a gallon storage bag.

If I can, I will see that doctor again this week. I will ask for two of the blue masks, the kind that are a dome. I think they will filter a virus. Will they? That is what they used at the hospital.

Okay, went to doctor today and I have two prescriptions that should help me and my thyroid. Then, Tommy asked me if I wanted a cookie fix, oh my. So, he stopped at cookie fix. These are sooo good.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Anne,
      Me too! We only got one each and had it all over us before we finished.

      Delete
  2. When my son was in the hospital about 6 months ago the nurse gave us a whole box of gloves unopened. Since they had been in his room they were going to throw them away! I now have a box and a half as I already had some at home. The waste is crazy. I think they should always offer them to the patient as insurance and the patient have probably already paid for them and some people don't realize they can take them home. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I take everything in the room after I have been in the hospital. I was in the ER and was given a little tub because I was feeling sick and thought I was going to throw up. The nurse said, "You are going to take THAT?" After an overnight stay after surgery, I took the Kleenex and other things I knew were opened just for me. I, too, thought it was wasteful.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kim,
      I thought so, too. But, I wondered if she would get in trouble. I have been using the gloves.

      Delete
  4. The blue surgical masks are for what you breathe out, not what you breathe in. I just saw an article on it yesterday. You need N95 mask. Gloves are a great idea, though. I have some black exam gloves and they look like ordinary leather gloves when I am in the store. That was so nice of the nurse to give you those extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twewshooz,
      I have been asking everyone just that question. I look at it as "it cannot hurt." I don't wear the gloves all the time because they make my hands sweaty and itchy. I hope the mask will help, but was not sure. I carry a canister of Lysol wipes and use them often. I use them to clean the cart and my hands and door handles to car when I open them without gloves. I am cautious, not paranoid. Leather gloves when the weather is in the 80s would look as odd as the blue gloves...lol.

      Delete
    2. I would kill for weather in the 80's. lol

      Delete
  5. Sometimes cookies are the only answer.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...