Monday, March 23, 2020

Sign of the Times

We were out in car, not going in anywhere this morning, and Tommy saw a sign of the times we live in.

A restaurant was closed to sit-down business. Really, a BBQ joint cannot just close down in the South. One person at a time was allowed in to order takeout. The restaurant had erected a canopy over the door so people could stand in the rain. Yes, it is rainy and very cool here even though it is now 67F degrees.

In a nearby shopping center with about two dozen stores, most were closed and the parking lot is relatively empty, except for in front of the Pig.

The electricity went off about 9 am. I had sat for an hour after taking the pill that requires me not to eat for an hour. I was seconds from going to get a glass of milk to have with a banana. I just ate the banana with water. Then, i ate crackers. He was told it would be two hours before restoral of the electric.

We went for a drive. It was so dark in the house,  too dark to even think straight. We were not going to open the refrigerator. So, the leftovers were unavailable as was the fruit. I had decided we could just eat a can of fruit when we were hungry. Other than that, peanut butter and bread was all there was. The new time for restoral of the electricity was 4 pm.  !!!

A little after 11 am, we decided to go get a hamburger. We ate in the parking lot, drove around the shopping center looking at closed stores.

When we arrived home, I decided to go in and get my laptop so we could sit in McD parking lot and watch animal videos. Since the electricity was back on and it was not noon, we were thrilled and stayed home.

At my house, we could have used the grill to heat cans of food. I also had little disposable grills that we could use. Of course, they are in the dump! I think i need to get a small grill.

We could have peanut butter sandwiches. I know.

This was the first canopy we have seen to offer refuge to people in line. But, I wonder about the "social distancing" part. Tommy just told me that yesterday the canopy was not present but people were waiting outside. Yesterday only had a spritz of rain.

What unusual signs of the times have you seen?

16 comments:

  1. Nada- I haven't left the yard for 11 days. I still have plenty of food and a produce delivery Thursdays (They have emailed they're not sure how much longer they will be able to deliver but at last this week). I go to bed early, read an hour at least and am up by 5 AM. Not an exciting schedule. I have been watching some British shows I stream on Hulu and that's about it. My kids tell me to stay home! AS a case worker, I make monthly visits to my clients, but they have been suspended until May 1st. I'm glad you and Tommy are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Thankfully, we do not need excitement. You have kept close. Good for you. The produce delivery is really helpful, I know. Hopefully, you will have those visits canceled, too. Or, you could wear a mask and gloves. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been out and about much, but, last Monday, when I did some grocery shopping, I saw completely empty shelves! I'd say that was a sign of the times! The last time I went out was on Wednesday, to get my taxes filed and mail some forms to my daughter. I've been staying home since then, although I should start the car so that the battery doesn't die! Hope you and Tommy are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless,
      Yes, I would say that empty shelves are a sign of the times. My car may need to be started since it has been a month since I drove it, just riding with Tommy. Thank you. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Look at all the comments, Linda. You have to have patience, LOL. A peanut butter sandwich would have hit the spot for me, but then peanut butter is one of my favorite foods ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I like peanut butter, but i was not willing to go so many hours with only peanut butter. I know. I was being a brat. "all the comments" ???

      Delete
  4. I have been craving peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Been using rolls as Hubby likes toast. Today when he pit stopped at Save A Lot after getting fuel to get milk he grabbed a large loaf of sliced bread. My only time away from the house was a 10 min ride in the dog truck with the dogs to go around the block. I will probably end up with agoraphobia as it runs strong in the family and I am not thrilled with crowded places to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I lost a quart and a pint of honey when my house was destroyed. I have not managed to get more, yet. Try not to develop agoraphobia! Maybe you need a longer ride or a ride more often.

      Delete
  5. Where we live all dine in seating is closed and take way is only allowed, I expect that wil be the goverment rule everwhere before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      It is that way in all of Alabama. It is at least that way in Birmingham.

      Delete
  6. We live across the street from a local pizza place that is usually packed each night with carryout orders. They shut their doors on Saturday. It is strange to not see cars in their parking lot. Starting tonight at 11:59PM Ohio is under a "Stay-at-home" order so that is definitely a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I can imagine it is disconcerting not to see the cars that were always there. Yes, a "stay at home" order is certainly a sign of the times. So far, Alabama is not under the order. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Around here I am seeing empty parking lots. I haven't been in a store since Thursday. There was no toilet paper and little meat. The canned goods were low. My county is has been on lockdown for a couple of days. Essential travel only. Tomorrow night the whole state(Indiana) is locked down. We've been sticking to the house as much as possible except going to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, empty parking lots. It is surreal. It sort of looks like Sunday all the time.

      Delete
  8. 280 had no traffic which is definitely a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...