Saturday, March 21, 2020

Garden Supplies

This project is part of a research project from Auburn University and administered by University of Alabama. The premise is that gardening improves every aspect of life--physical health, mental and emotional health. I had blood taken, donated toenails and saliva.

My oncologist gave the study my name. The two qualifications are to be over 60 and have had cancer and out of treatment now.

I was given the following supplies.

* City Pickers Patio Garden Kit--4 with self watering 2.5 gal reservoir, 20"x24"
* 25 ft. hose
* 6 cubic yards of dirt of some kind...lol.
* 12" cultivator
* trowel
* Miracle Gro garden gloves
* plant markers-14 white write on
* 2 gallon watering can
* jute twine--200 ft. lightweight
* Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap, 24 oz.
* Safer Brand Garden Fungicide, 24 oz.
* Safer Brand Garden Dust, BT, 8 oz.
* Miracle Gro Shake N Feed Fertilizer, 4.5 lbs.
* bag of mulch
* 8 metal rods to bend to fit boxes to support
* really long piece of white cloth to cover for cooler nights

and

A cute little plastic container with a bee inside, toy bee. If you find a bug you want to look at, put him in there and the top is a magnifying glass. I won't be handling bugs. It is labeled "Oriental Trading."

There was a 2 gallon bag with three gallon bags that held snack bags of seeds. The seeds are labeled Central, so i suppose that is for Central Alabama.

My seeds for Spring:
"Flash" collards
"New Red" lettuce
beets
"red Ace" beets
"Evergreen Hardy White" green onions
"Purple Top White Globe" turnip
"Bloomsdale" Spinach
"Sugar Ann" sugar snap peas
purple carrots
"Red Giant" mustard greens

Seeds for Summer:
"E-Z Pick" snap bush bean
"fordhook 242" lima bush bean
"spaghetti squash" winter squash
"fortex" pole bean
"tigress" zucchini
"yellow crookneck" summer squash
"general lee" cucumbers

Seeds for Fall:
"E-Z pick" snap bush bean
"fordhook 242" Lima bush bean
"Evergreen Hardy white" green onion
"Sugar Ann" sugar snap peas
"Purple Top White Globe" turnips
"Bright Lights" Swiss chard
"Red Giant" Mustard Greens
"Fortex" Pole Bean
"New Red Fire" lettuce
"Red Ace" beets
"Roxanne" radishes
"purple haze" carrots
"Sierra Blanca" bulb onion
"Bloomsdale" spinach
"Flash" collards

Also, I have 8 metal rods to put cloth over the beds. I also got the cover. They supplied bamboo for staking plants.

I was also able to choose plants. I got lettuce, kale, broccoli, and cabbage. So, six of each of those are planted. they look great.

Have you had any experience with any of these varieties?

I was going to tell you about the fire ant activity we have been watching. Maybe tomorrow.





4 comments:

  1. Oh but I love seeds! Seeds are a promise of fun and bounty to come!
    I don't recognize any of these by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am looking forward to having lots of fun and a bounty, too. I did not recognize the seeds either. But, these are chosen by Auburn. I am quite sure I have the best, not just something from the seed displays.

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome. Sounds like a wonderful set up to help you start gardening there. Can you imagine what it would all cost if you had to buy it. So glad your name was put in to be one of the people who got this for free. Happy gardening and hoping you get lots of lovely vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I was surprised my doctor gave my name to anyone. It seems like a violation of hippa regulations. But, it is okay with me. Likely, it is hundreds of dollars. And, since all my pots and soil were stolen and seeds and other supplies with to dump, I needed this is in more ways than one. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...