Saturday, March 14, 2020

Stockpiling? Or Not

When I heard that Publix was closing at 8  pm tonight, or was it 5 pm?), I had just gotten up. So, I bathed, dressed, and we left for Publix. It was not urgent, but I did not want to get out into a bigger crush. Plus, I was afraid there would be no electric cart for me.

2 loaves Honey Wheat Bread
   1 loaf is already in the freezer
pads
    enough said, but I had plenty
2 Publix Honey Nuts Oats cereal
   Tommy insists on store brand and they were cheaper
dozen large eggs
    this is fifth dozen in refrigerator
Angel Food cake and a brownie mix
    just because, okay?
2 chicken broth
    might want more potato soup
2 boxes Oven Bags
1 Nutrisse hair color
    no stockpile of this
3 half gals of a2milk
    only had 3 at home, now 6
bag of white sweet onions
    I usually never buy a bag
Nestle's Dark Chocolate Chips
    half a doz. is a good snack
Pamper Wipes
    on sale and good for refreshing in car
1 Granny Smith apple
    Had for Apple Betty but he ate one
4 Roma Tomatoes
    will have one each day for a salad
BSCB, huge package and over-priced
PB Crackers, box of 8
    car emergency food for him

There were NO bananas. I have five here and eat one each day. The produce truck runs once each day, and manager told me that it was eight hours late today. I was going to cut the bananas in half and freeze them just in case I had trouble finding them in future or was to frightened to go into a store.

I carried my own cannister of Lysol Wipes with me and used them sometimes. It is a hard habit to develop.

While i had planned to get an Angel Food cake mix, i wanted a cheaper price. And, the brownie mix is for a 13x9 pan. We do not need that sitting around. However, i know how to freeze them. Do you know how delicious a frozen brownie is? Ask me how i know. I will not be making either of these any time soon.

Intending to make an Apple Betty, I had purchased huge Granny Smith Apples, just what i needed. And, i purchased small red apples in a bag for Tommy. Imagine my surprise when i discovered him eating a Granny Smith apple! It was too far gone or i would have taken it away. He said he had never seen any small apples for him. grrr Today, while I was putting up the refrigerator groceries, I pulled from the front of the top shelf. He was very surprised. Men!

At one time, blogger capitalized the "i", but now it doesn't. Wonder why?

Two or three weeks ago, it was time to buy more oj for the car, so I bought six little packs of 6 bottles. We never drink it at home. One bottle is used for an all day trip or extended home driving. The Munchies Peanut Butter Crackers are for the same purpose. Medical supplies?

Bought before today:

Yesterday, i bought Tommy the gal of milk that is very cheap. However, if he ran out, i will let him drink mine. Plus, two weeks ago, I bought 4 shelf stable quarts from Dollar Tree in anticipation of the covid-19 becoming worse milk scarce.

No shelves were bare in Publix. However, things were slim on some shelves. TP, milk, bread, bananas, anything to kill virus, and produce. However, it is a Saturday, so possibly normal traffic.

Publix had a sale on tp several weeks ago, so I got two packs of 48 rolls on sale and with coupon. I could have gone another three weeks, but there was a sale.

We have halos, apples, leaf lettuce plenty of Caffeine Free Coke for me. I drink one about every three days and sometimes not that often. All these things are at home and did not buy today.

Since my blood sugar was dropping fast, i grabbed a package of choc chip cookies while in the checkout line. My vision was being affected and i was getting grumpy. I get grumpy because i feel terrible. When i was a teen, i would just break out in tears.

I grabbed Tommy's Visa card before going in so I could get what we both wanted or needed. He never complains what I buy, so he was happy with all.

So, I survived...lol. I quit eating cookies when I saw he had out two coupons for me to choose one. We had a $5 BK meal for two. And, we are set for at least three weeks on most things and beyond that on many other items.






13 comments:

  1. I am going to have to get to Save-a-Lot early on Tuesday. I hope they have their 29 cent bananas. You shop a long the same lines as me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Murphy,
      I will be near a SAL on Tuesday. I will look for those and freeze some. I think we shop wisely!

      Delete
  2. Your car snack plan is very smart. If you like smoothies, frozen bananas are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I do like smoothies. I usually just put in the banana. Just before I sat down, I froze my first banana. Actually, I froze about four inches of a very long banana. I can eat a whole banana, but I usually waste them or just stuff myself. No more. I will eat just what I can comfortably and freeze the rest. This is because of the gastroparesis.

      Delete
  3. I spent the day cooking chicken veggie soup and cleaning and cutting the rest of the celery so my husband will eat it. Also cut up broccoli and asparagus and washed it. He will eat veggies and so will I if they are prepped ahead. It seems like Tommy gets lots of good things to eat with you there. You are making him healthier meals than he would probably eat on his own and that is good. I can't even imagine how he made it without you there before. Especially when his blood sugar gets all whacky. Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I felt sorry for him and grateful for his help. So, I was always sending home food for him...maybe half a dozen sweet potatoes baked or a bag of cooked chicken all cooked and wrapped separately, or a huge freezer bag of cole slaw. I just put things I cooked in freezer bags to send home. When I got here, he obviously was keeping the Tupperware I sent with him before that.

      Delete
    2. Oops, Crystal, I did not mean to post. Now, he gets good meals all the time. Before, he ran out of stuff I cooked and had to open a can!

      Delete
    3. Well I know he got good food from you before but being in the same house I hope he really appreciates the effort you make to keep good food made. It is hard for me some days but I do what I can to keep an assortment and some stuff prepped or cooked ahead. We do what we can!

      Delete
    4. Crystal,
      You are absolutely right. Now, I bring it to him. He only has to use the microwave for his coffee. I baked chicken one day, and will bake sweet potatoes another day and so on. He has a meat and at least one fresh vegetable at each dinner and often for lunch. I know one vegetable is not enough, but there is always a variety for us. We indeed do what we can.

      Delete
  4. Madness everywhere; I am glad to read you sound to have enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Now, I wonder if we do have enough for maybe four months. I need pouches of brownie mix if this lasts very long.

      Delete
  5. I used to cut the brownies and then freeze them. Sometimes made mini baked Alaska with the frozen brownies. Hubby had to go to 4 places to get milk. Found it at CVS when he went to pick up meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am going to bake a pecan pie next Sunday, so the brownies are down the road, which is just as well. Baked Alaska sounds yummy. I had no trouble finding milk, but that was last Friday. I went to Walgreen's to get two prescriptions and they sold me an otc through the window. So, thankfully, I did not have to go in.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...