Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Bugs in the Garden and Grocery Shopping and Clothesline and John Prine Died

On Monday, I went out and picked enough Romaine for two meals since it should rain today. There were little worms everywhere and tiny clusters of tiny eggs. I brought it all in and picked off and squashed the clusters of eggs, worms, and bugs. Then, I put it in basin of water and vinegar. We left to go to Publix and Piggly Wiggly.

I left it in the sink and when I came back I realized the Romaine had been soaking all that time. Of course, it hurt nothing. Lots of once-live things were floating about. I let Tommy dry and break up his own while I brought in a bowl of diced tomato.

At Publix Beef Steak tomatoes were $4.99/lb. !!! I bought 3 tomatoes for $6.30 . We will eat a half tomato for the next three days. We will survive. Chicken on top will make  delicious salad.

How on earth did I spend $54?

Raspberry Egg $0.50
2 Wheat Thins $5/2
Boneless, skinless chicken breast $11.83 (small package w/three breasts, but huge ones)
Ruffles, Party Size--$2.64, a promotion
Beefsteak tomatoes, $3.99/lb, three tomatoes !!! $6.30 I am horrified
Domino' Granulated Sugar, 4 lb bags x 2, $2 each
Kraft Grated Parmesan, 2 for $6, bought 2
Milk Chocolate Lindt Easter Bunny $3.50 for Tommy
Easter Bunny plate, $3.50 for me
2 lbs Butter, $6 for 2 1-pound packages

Saved $14.64
Total Spent $54.20

We ate the raspberry egg in the car. The chicken and tomatoes were an exorbitant price in my book. One Easter, I bought Tommy a chocolate bunny for Easter and he was so happy, smiling and just overjoyed. I asked if that were his favorite candy. He said that he always got a chocolate bunny in his Easter basket when he was a child. So, he will be glad to see that.

Everything except for the chicken was marked down, pr bpgp. There were so few packs of any kind of chicken that I felt lucky to get that.  Eventually, I only cook with cheaply bought food. The cheap Ruffles caught my attention, my favorite chips. I eat Kraft Parmesan on spaghetti, pasta and olive oil, and salad. I have not had either of the first two for weeks. But, I eat a lot of Parmesan when I eat it.

Then, we went to Piggly Wiggly to get two gallons of vinegar for $1.74 each.

The guy next door was mowing Tommy's yard, so that made me extremely happy on Monday.  I think I will give them enough Romaine for a salad.

I walked all the way back to the clothes line. The line is rusty wire. I will get the wire covered in green plastic unless someone has a better idea. Anyone? I like hanging out clothes. At my house not one soul saw my dozen pair of huge panties on the line. Here they will unless I wash sheets and hang those on two lines around my panties.

When I grew up, Mama taught me to hang panties on inside lines. Did your mother teach you that? Do you hang your panties in plain sight or hide them?

I really spent a lot this week, but I did not have to buy Romaine or any greens for salads because I picked what would be the equivalent of about $10 in Romaine and kale and red lettuce. Of course, I never buy that much, so this will be a treat.

What do you use, type of material, do you use for your clothesline?

AND, John Prine died. Tommy has never heard of him! And, when I played "Paradise," he said he never listened to THAT kind of music. I cried.




6 comments:

  1. I guess I do hang personal items inside. I never thought too much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them hung in the sunshine. I don't really have many places to hang them inside. Thanks. I can keep doing what I am doing, hanging them inside.

      Delete
  2. I don't really have a yard where I can hang clothes out. I do remember my grandma hanging out her laundry and teaching us girls to hang personal items on an inside line if available; if it isn't available we were to hang them inside. Grocery prices everywhere are rising rapidly. I sent Bill to Aldi's yesterday and for a shop that I used to spend around 75-$90 on, he spent $120. Sign of the times I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I just knew I was not the only one taught to not hang panties in the open...lol. I was looking at what I bought and could only see crackers and chips that I could have, should have left off. And, all but chicken was less than usual. Oh, well. Thanks for that info on prices there.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you are able to pick lettuce and kale from your garden; soaking them in vinegar water is a good idea! I haven't gone grocery shopping, recently, but, I guess prices will be going up and up!

    When I used to have a clothesline in the yard, I used a cotton rope. Used to buy them at the dollar stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless,
      Bending over is getting to me, so I rest afterwards. The results are wonderful. I remember the cotton rope lines and find those. I wondered if I remembered correctly. I will look at the dollar stores.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...