Monday, April 6, 2020

My New Favorite Thing to Eat

No, not chocolate brownies...lol

I may have mentioned I was going to cook soup with Great Northern Beans. I did. I cooked the Great Northern Beans and added kale from my garden along with carrots and ham.

Great Northern Beans
carrots
kale
highly seasoned ham (or ham and spices)

I added no seasoning to this concoction. The ham that was given to me was very spicy and fatty. So, I thought the spice in the ham would be sufficient for the whole pot of soup. It was. But, heating the ham in a skillet and mashing it in a towel did not remove the fattiness, just some grease.

The carrots were two of the little single serving packages we got at the dinner handed through the car window. I cut them in 1/2 inch pieces.

The kale came from my garden. Even though I picked a whole grocery bag full, there could have been more for my liking.

I have always gagged at the thought of bean soup even though I like beans. Tommy loved the soup! So, even though it was technically too warm for soup, this was wonderful.

Now, I grew up eating beans because Daddy had to have them at meals. No matter what else we had that was delicious, hearty, and healthful, we had beans. Now, we kids ate them the first meal, but after that he was often the only one having them with the next meal. and the net Since he grew up poor and one of twelve kids during the Depression, I suppose beans were eaten every day if they could get them. I liked beans but not every day. However, only after about thirty years did I love beans.

Who would have guessed that Great Northern Beans, carrots, kale, and ham would be so delicious? Not I. Even though I have never read a recipe for bean soup, I think I guesses well.

From now on I will raise an abundance of kale and carrots, well, at least the kale.

While I was picking kale, I looked down at a familiar sight. Was that Romaine I saw? Well, yes it was. I did not remember or realize I had Romaine in my garden. So ditzy. Tommy laughed. I am so excited. Today I will go buy tomatoes and we will have salads with Romaine, red lettuce, and tomatoes. I have boiled eggs for mine and Tommy can have the ham.

This Auburn garden project is such a happy experience. I did get to pick out my vegetables to grow.

Do you make bean soup? What goes into yours?

18 comments:

  1. I love bean and ham soup. I'll pass on the kale though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I have had beans with ham, but is that bean soup? Not sure here. The kale is tasteless as far as having a bad or different taste. I have had mixed greens that had kale. It tastes entirely different this way.

      Delete
  2. Kale and romaine - both excellent for salads, but I've never tried kale in soup. We eat soup year round - it is our comfort food. Chicken salsa soup is my go to favorite though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      One time, during the summer I carried a bowl of beef and vegetable soup to work everyday. At that job I needed comfort! I have a taco salad casserole that I cook in the crockpot and it ends up being soup. We love it, but I may try putting chicken in it.

      Delete
  3. I have made bean soup on occasions but more often minstrone with beans in.
    I recently made a vegie stew with white beans, onion, celery, dried tomatoes and herbs. I almost burnt it, which was completely because of dstraction but it added a nice caramel depth to it. If I tried to do it again i'd fail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Like you I would fail if I tried to almost cook something too long.

      Delete
  4. I like beans too. Mom said Granny always had a big pot of beans on the stove Sundays because you never knew who would drop over after church- yes, they were poor too. I made chili yesterday and will be eating it for a couple of days, then add some macaroni and stuff green peppers I got from the produce delivery. This is week 4 staying at home for me- I am surprised at how well I'm doing but guess I stay at home a lot ordinarily and I do Face time with GD. Do you still have the same address for mail- I wanted to send you and Tommy something since I am spending no money. I tried to order some candy from See's and they had closed delivery but then I got an email they were working with Oriental Trading and you could order from them. Yeah- everything was out of stock DRAT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost every week I make some kind of soup. Vegetable, Chicken with veggies and rice, White Chicken chili or something else I make with whatever I have as left overs. My mom always made hamburger soup with lots of veggies. We had a big garden. It doesn't take much or sometimes any meat to make a big pot of soup. I even make soup in the summer. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always used hamburger in my vegetable soup. I did use soup meat, but one day I started the soup with no soup meat. I used hamburger and the children loved it. they hated the chunks of meat. It was so much cheaper to use the hamburger, too. I like soup in the summer, too.

      Delete
  6. I sent you the sign , I didn't want to post your comment without your permission since it had your email on it.

    Blessed be..

    Daddy ate beans two meals daily. Mother was lucky if they had beans as her daddy felt his pride was more important than working for WPA for food (Mother and Grandma's words)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks. I will check my email for the sign. I wonder how i would manage eating beans twice a day...lol. Too bad about your grandfather's "Pride."

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, we love great northern beans. We have always called them soup beans and I grew up on them. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I never heard them called soup beans. I have heard of soup beans, just did not know to what people were referring. We never had anything in our beans. I am quite sure this is what Daddy preferred since Mama was not allowed to deviate from his food wishes.

      Delete
  8. I love to make green pea soup with ham in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Years ago, I cooked green peas and put ham in it. I only did it for a few times. But, it was good.

      Delete
  9. Every time I have a ham I make bean soup. Before I go to bed that night the ham has been cut off the bone and separated into two containers (one for the soup and one for other meals), the bone and skin and little ham bits have been simmered and strained, and the resulting broth is in the refrigerator in the pot for souo the next day. In the morning I skim off the fat and make the soup. It seems it's different each time (type of beans, spices, etc.), but one thing is a constant: Mom taught me to put some vinegar in bean soup, so I always do. Just a bit, probably less than 1/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie,
      That sounds like a good way for me to do it next time. I did not have a bone to do that. I will remember what you wrote or look back here. But, why vinegar?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...