Wednesday, April 29, 2020

More Meat

Tuesday, at Publix and in my quest for chicken breasts, I found washcloths 4 for $2.99, reduced from $6.99. I got the only white pack. At home I realized it is cream or something, just an icky pale yellow. Oh well. these are only for pee. Then I read these were to be washed in cold water only. No, they will be washed in hot water. What do you think will happen to them? Will they fall apart? Who washes wash clothes in cold water?

I found a pack of chicken tenders for $5/lb. It was the only package left. At the second store, I found more chicken tenders, a large package and too expensive. Then, I found a large pack of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts for $4.98/lb. Okay, three stores, and I am done.

Not done because I have enough. I am done because no more will go into the freezer! I think I have enough chicken to last for several months. I can look at my list, but I feel so ill today. Allergies can make me ill. I spent more for chicken than I like to spend, but neither of us are worrying about the cost right now.

Hormel Chicken Breast in a 10 oz. can was about $2.09, forgot exactly. I explained to Tommy. This will work in dressing, in chicken salad for a sandwich, pasta salad, and other concoctions so we will have protein. I have three of these.

If I could find Possum sardines, I would get those for protein. We have about 20 cans of Tuna and two of salmon. There is one huge jar of Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter. I did not buy this lately; we have had it. I do this about $3 at a time each week.

So, this is the end of the protein search. I do like meat, so until it is gone, I will continue to eat it, maybe just less per meal.

I stopped into a Lowe's to look at their picnic tables, and found reduced plants. I picked out four that were not reduced to $1 like I thought. The guy told me I could have them for $1, though. I now have two crook neck squash plants, one curly parsley plant, and one yellow Gerbera Daisy. I left them overnight, sitting in a pan of water, so I need to go out today, Wednesday, and save them from drowning...lol.

What are you doing today? Planting, sowing? Making masks? Cleaning?

THE END


18 comments:

  1. My OH did our weekly shop this morning, nearby. He is under 70 so can go out and shop but I take care to make the list very easy to read so he can go in and out of the shop as quickly as possible. When he gets home I place everything in the cellar for 3 days as I’m told the virus doesn’t survive without a human host after 3 days. Even my letters, when they pop through the letterbox, are left untouched for 3 days! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I do leave some things for three days, but because I am hurting and do not want to put them up...lol. I should wait with everything. Tommy gets the mail and plows through it. You are wise. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  2. Menu planning. Wednesday I make a menu, Thrusday or Friday we go to the local farm market. You drive up, they take your written order and either debit or credit card. They tell you to find a parking place and they bring your order out to you and put it in your trunk. Heavenly...I wish I could do it that way all the time. They have the freshest produce and they have a full service butcher shop and yet they keep the prices competitive.
    Oh, and sewing one more mask and then I'm done, I think. I'll be able to go back to knitting and quilting.
    Stay safe, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That would be a great way to shop at the Farmer's Market! However, I have to touch my produce. There are so many vendors and not all have the best. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. You seem to have done well with your shopping and your plant buying.
    Here in the UK our garden centres are not allowed to open so it isn't easy to buy plants of any kind … perhaps things may improve soon.
    Until they do stay safe and take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Here, Walmart had their garden centers closed and being "unnecessary." I was upset since they still sold hair color and screwdrivers. After about a week, they finally opened up. However, I got the plants elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. Jan / Lowcarb team member,

      Have you read The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung? Or seen any of his videos?

      I've been lowcarb for two years now.

      -Alice

      Delete
    3. No, I have not. Maybe I should read it.

      Delete
  4. You’re being wise too Linda, making sure you both get enough protein every day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I try to be wise. I could eat a whole breast, but never do. We can eat less chicken if we must and still get enough protein.

      Delete
  5. Working from home, then doing homework. Research paper due this week, final next week. Then I'm finished for a few weeks. It's rainy and cold (cool) here in KY still, but the forecast for Saturday is 80 and I'm so excited!!!

    Funny you mention those sardines. I had never heard of them until our preacher's daughter said something one day. She thought they were somehow part of a possum. LOL Also, thanks for reminding me. I have several packs of sardines in my cabinet. I love them with horseradish mustard. A great fatty protein meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is funny. I wonder where the sardine is located in a possum. I like my sardines plain in oil. Good luck on school. I remember going to school at Kentucky Wesleyan, amongst 9 other colleges. I have fond memories of Kentucky Wesleyan.

      Delete
  6. Masks for 2 kids, harvesting asparagus and canning or freezing it. Planting, hardening off plants and transplanting seedlings...

    I wash in cold water except for towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Asparagus....mmmm. Same here, towels and wash clothes and kitchen things are not washed in cold water. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I love sardines, but my husband hates having their odor in the house, and my little dog goes insane from wanting some, huffing and spinning and worrying me because he is 16 years old and arthritic and I worry he will fall over and break a hip or leg. So they are just too much trouble to eat. I have found them packed in tomato sauce in the past and those tasted very good to me and my little dog. Fuzzy and I like the plain ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      Now, that is just too funny. I only like sardines in oil. I would hate to see the dog hurt himself!

      Delete
  8. I worked the whole day through. Afterwards I fell asleep. I lead a dull life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Dull but employed. Sometimes, dull is good.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...