Sunday, May 31, 2020

Examining the Cost of Protein and My Lie I Told to You

Saturday night--one of the four packages of chicken tenderloins is in the crockpot. The package cost $6.39, was $1.99/lb, and contained 14 chicken tenderloins, making a tender cost $0.46 each. That makes each person's protein cost for the meal less than fifty cents. Find that price at a restaurant. I dare you to try. So seven meals for the two of us costs little, less than $7.

Of course, I could eat several of these. But, I won't. They are actually quite large, surprisingly. I have lost 20 lbs according to the new scales. I am trying, quite unsuccessfully to curtail my intake of calories.

I found Starkist Tuna, chunk light for $0.77/ 6 oz. can. With the 10% Piggly Wiggly store cost, that makes a can $0.85. This will feed both of us when I make croquettes. He won't eat tuna salad, so this will make two meals for me at $0.43/serving.

This examination of cost per serving occurs with every protein I buy. By doing this, I am less likely to purchase more expensive protein.

On  a different note, I have lied to you. I immediately sliced my finger open with a sharp knife after saying I don't cut myself. I sort of peeled my thumb while slicing tomatoes, actually, chunking them for the salad last night. It really hurt but not enough to deter me from slicing toward myself. Then, I bit off the sliced bit and made it hurt more. I have never needed stitches since I was seven and used a dull knife.

Dinner: chicken, zucchini, corn on the cob.

Do you examine the cost of protein when you purchase and eat meat? Oh, the tomatoes bought last week cost me $1 each, much more than protein. Thankfully, I am growing tomatoes!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Probably gold-plated! I got them at Publix. Just round, red tomatoes. There are none at the Farmer's Market yet. I was given four tomatoes in the vegetable box, so I suppose the cost evens out. But, there were only four.

      Delete
  2. By the way my favorite protein is buffalo. It costs more but it is a tasty improvement to ground round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I was going to find out myself, but I lost that with my house in the freezer. Thanks. Maybe I will get more and see.

      Delete
  3. If you have lost 20 lbs. then you HAVE curtailed your intake of calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do examine the cost of protein when planning grocery buying. It's unreal to me that your tomato cost more than the protein. It seems like it should be the other way around. Grocery costs have been so variable this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I was shocked at the price of tomatoes, too. I intend to shop elsewhere for tomatoes. They are not at the Farmer's Market yet.

      Delete
  5. 20lbs! - well done! that is a good price for the chicken. The cost of meat here is quite expensive, we usually eat meat 2-3 times a week and over the last few years I have added more beans and legumes as proteins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I don't know if that price for chicken will continue, but I intend to be at any sale early. That is smart adding alternative sources of protein.

      Delete
  6. About cutting, I don’t hold the foods completely in my hand. I put them on a cutting board and use a knife to cut downward steadying the food with the other hand and keeping the knife away from my fingers
    For carrots and potatoes,I use a peeler and slide the peeler away from me.

    Hope y’all find a cutting method that works for you both, both safe and quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I will continue to cut as I always have. He won't change. It was a small accident that I am willing to hazard...lol. Thanks, though.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...