Monday, June 1, 2020

The Problem With Snacks

Last January, I accidentally bought regular Coke. I have not had caffeine in over twenty years. Oh, I will occasionally have one out. But, I don't want or need them sitting around here. So, I will give them away to the guy next door or to someone in a grocery store parking lot.

Tommy and I have snacks we each like and prefer. Usually, we stick to our own snacks, no matter who buys them.

I like fruit and chocolate milk or chocolate anything. He prefers salty things, even Saltines to consume when he wants a snack.

For months, we have each eaten a different item when we both snack at the same time. But, the time has come when we eat the same thing.

I bought Hershey's Quik to put in milk for me. However, he goes in gets a glass each day now. He left it alone for a long time. I don't mind.

He eats saltines, saltines and peanut butter, or just peanut butter. Heats any cracker and anything salty. Last week, I found a good buy on Saltines. They are tiny, cute little Saltines, 1/4 the size of a regular saltine. NOW, I am eating more than he is. I only eat peanut butter once a day, if any. And, that is my pb, MW, banana sandwich.

I think if I had not bought PREMIUM brand saltines, I would not have eaten any saltines at all.
So, I will not buy them again, no matter how delicious they are.

About once every week or every two weeks, I will buy us a candy. I get Raisinettes for me and Milk Duds for him. Well, I quit that. This week, I bought Milk Duds and we shared them. Next time, I will buy Raisinettes and we will share those.

When I go to the kitchen and bring back cherries, I always offer him some. He willingly takes fruit, but until lately never seemed to get it for himself.  We have quit buying Halos since there are plenty,  different type oranges here. And, I cannot eat citrus in the spring. Besides, Halos are not good late.  At one time, I felt like I was forcing apples on him. Now, he gets one more often.

I never eat popcorn, but found myself eating a few kernels of his popcorn for the first time ever. I have vowed not to ever eat popcorn again!

Edit: dinner tonight--huge Romaine salad with chicken, pickled yellow squash, pickled cucumber on top. Cherries later.

In your house, do different people eat/prefer different types of snacks like sweet or salty?

12 comments:

  1. I like toffee coated peanuts and salty cheese puffs. DH likes popcorn and pistachios. For awhile I was eating gummies. They were so good and I loved the texture but I really paid for them...next dental check I needed $400.00 worth of work. When I got home from the dentist I tossed out the rest of those yummy gummies. They did not look so good after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      The dental agony is enough to turn you off, much less the money. The chocolate covered raisins are the most gummy thing I like. His Milk Duds are stuck to my teeth forever. Good for you for not eating gummies anymore.

      Delete
  2. In our house (married 6.5 years), he will eat anything, preferatably sweet. I do not liine sweet, prefer savory. If sweets are the only thing aailable, I will abstain. If there is nothing sweet, he will eat whatever is here. sweet gives me goosebumpd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That works out well, just like Tommy and I, well, until lately. I have never heard anyone say sweets gives them goosebumps. I said I like sweets, but that is mostly chocolates. Sometimes, I throw out sugary things. If I can get them in the trash before he realizes it, neither of us will eat it.

      Delete
  3. The problem with snacks is that I like most all of them, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Some days, I am not discriminating and will eat anything.

      Delete
  4. Oyster crackers are my go to when I am craving something salty. I find them more satisfying than the regular saltine crackers. Plus they are easier to store and maintain their freshness better than saltines (once I open a bag I keep them in a large glass jar with an air tight lid). Dollar General & Wal-Mart brands are $1 for a 10-12 oz bag, name brands are more but the cheaper ones taste the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty Mc,
      I never cared for oyster crackers. You sound like Tommy salty and cheap. It is good for the wallet.

      Delete
  5. I eat oyster crackers for bfast as they settle my stomach. Hubby likes choc with peanut butter or choc with caramel. I like choc anything except milkshakes, they don't do good. I like salty during the morning and sweet at night. Salted caramel is good.

    I eat gummies... no cavities in over 60 yrs... I do brush my teeth after eating or at least swish water in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      We have our own favorites, don't we? I do like chocolate milkshakes, but I should not have any milk except for the a2milk. Yes, that is the brand.

      I wonder if I prefer one kind of snack in morning and one at night. I don't go for salty except for Ruffles...lol.

      That is amazing you have no cavities!

      Delete
  6. I love chocolate and red licorice. I would eat all kinds of sweets if it was left up to me or I lived alone. Sometimes I eat pumpkin seeds. They say pumpkin seeds have good magnesium. I also go through times when I like salty snacks like pretzels or cheese its.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I do understand the chocolate! I love pumpkin seeds but cannot eat them anymore. I am not so much for salty. Thanks!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...