Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Meat Run

Aldi's opens at 9 am. The plan was to wake me at 8 am and we would be out the door by 8:15. Since I did not sleep one wink all night, I was awake, got up and we left at 7:45 and got a sausage biscuit. We were the first people there, about 8:20 and waited, parked at the first handicapped space and nearest the door of any parking place.

Since chicken tenderloins were $1.99/lb., I figured there would be a limit. I had Tommy go in with me. We went straight to the meat department and sure enough, there was a limit--2 per customer. We each got two family packs. The really thick boneless and well-trimmed pork chops were on sale, too. I got one pack.

Straight to the checkout we went, looking neither left nor right. By 9:10 we were buckled in the car. Remember, Tommy has to put my walker in the back of the car and his in the backseat. He said the doors opened about two minutes early. So, we spent less than 10 minutes in the store and near people. I spent $30 on meat.

chicken--$5.35, $6.39, $5.53, $6.95= Total $24.22
pork chops--$4.84
Grand Total--$29.06 not quite $30.

Mission accomplished.

Tommy questioned me as to why we were going so early. I pointed out how there might be a limit per person (limit of 2), there might be many people and run out  (not when we were there), and that there might be a crowd (not at 9 am). About a dozen people rushed in as the doors opened. Yes, we all rushed in practicing social distancing. It was a slow rush. People then spread out, hurrying to some point in the store. Only one couple was at the meat counter.

The chicken tenderloins will be cooked and some will be frozen. Maybe we will have one of the three pork chops today, sharing the one I will cook.

I decided to use my walker since the carts are so huge and too heavy for me to push without causing extreme pain to my back and knees and wrists. This is the first time he has been in a store for about three months except to go into Publix to use the bathroom four times and come right out. I felt okay about his going into the freshly cleaned store and with so few people.

Did you get any cheap chicken at Aldi's? Will you?

8 comments:

  1. I won't be getting any, we stocked up on chicken and beef from local farmers. I will be getting groceries from Aldi's and have them delivered, a great and much appreciated service. We have 2 Aldi's in our town, one offers grocery pick up, like Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That's great for you. I never shop at Aldi's because standing is too difficult and painful. You must live in a large town to have two Aldi's.

      Delete
  2. I love Aldi and miss going there. I'm thinking next week I might venture out with a mask on- they will be my first stop. My daughter shops there weekly and says they sanitize the carts well and everyone seems to be wearing a mask. I can't believe with just what I had in my pantry, freezer and fridge and the weekly produce delivery, I haven't left my house since March 12th. I did get some meat from the produce/eggs delivery- it cost more but well worth it. I'm not a hoarder but just having an extra bottle of dishwashing soap, package of TP, and a large jug of laundry detergent has helped out. I am out of cinnamon, half and half, powdered sugar, and vitamins but I could easily live here another month with what I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Even under ordinary times, it makes sure to keep another item on the shelves to be ready for the last thing to run out. I always have another jug of laundry detergent and such. That is not hoarding. Go as soon as the store opens to find fewer people.

      Delete
  3. Good deal on meat. We go early also... in and out and both of us go due to the limits on stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am never going early unless I am going elsewhere or I see a bscb deal like this. Of course, limits will have me out earlier in the future.

      Delete
  4. As I haven't left town for 9 weeks since my last call center shift, I haven't passed an Aldi. good deals on meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Too bad you could not get this meat deal. But, not leaving town is a good reason. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...