Sunday, May 3, 2020

New Chairs and Table

I went to Cullman Saturday for several things. Only one worked out. My mail is now being put into my box!   That's good. When I checked my box, there was mail, so I did not have to go upfront where the people are located.

My friend who had to have surgery on her neck is doing okay according to a man who was near her house. I think he is a relative. She must spend 21 days in rehab. So far, so good.  I still worry about the virus in a nursing home.

No one is having a yard sale. It was a beautiful day, so only the virus is holding people back. Oh, and the governor. I am not complaining, just observing. Well, one of the permanent yard sales was open, but there is never anything good there.

Sunday--I now have a picnic table, 6 feet and shoddily made. But, it is working fine since it is a place to sit. The two chairs are very comfortable, plastic wicker with steel frame. Plus, I can rise from the chair without a problem.. I bought paint but forgot to get brushes and sandpaper. I will get that.

The same picnic table and sturdily made was $280 at Buettner's Hardware in Cullman. At Lowe's it was $99. Of course, mine was stolen. Only, mine was 8 feet long and is now $305. I can see the ways to make the cheap one sturdier. Yes, I can get the wood and have someone do this. Well, if I can buy a drill, I can do it myself!

Also, the hose is always all over the yard and in the way of the guy who mows. So, I got a thing to put it on that has two stakes to poke into the ground. At least the guy can mow now.

These things cost more than I had before the friend gave me money. So, I only had a bit to use of the stimulus. The guy who could get me 20% contractor's discount said it was only 5%. ??? But, a guy lets me use his 10% military discount. So, it is done.

Publix had Miracle Whip bogo, so I went there. Tommy obviously had read the ad while I was in PO or somewhere. He told me zucchini were fifty cents each. So, I got the MW and searched for these cheap zucchini. I asked in the produce department and two people answered--no, not fifty cent zucchini. I noticed the cucumbers were that price and realized he must have just looked at the ad pictures and thought they were zucchinis. I did get zucchini, anyway.

One big problem remains. Tommy cannot sit in the chair because he cannot rise from it. I have to figure out how to make it higher. Or, I have to find a taller patio chair and get it cut off to the right height. Sitting on his walker is not relaxing or comfortable. I hurt for him.

Monday, garden stuff is on the agenda. Putting out fire ant bait is, too.

Picture me--sitting to work in the yard and sitting to relax. Tommy has a huge maple tree in his back yard that has the nicest shade....ah.

Okay, after I wrote this post, Tommy ruined something I just bought. I bought two pots and asked him to open the drain holes. Of course, he turned the pots upside down and used a straight screw with me say, "noooo." He refused to turn them right side up or to use a Philips screwdriver. So, now I have two horrible split pots. GRRR  He does this to all sorts of things of mine. I know he doesn't know better, but please listen to someone who knows better and is the owner of what you are ruining.

I know it says to use a drill, but I no longer have a drill. Now, I will use part of my stimulus money to buy one. I do know how to use a drill. I don't want him ruining it.

How is your yard situation? Do you know anyone who manages to ruin things? Your things?


12 comments:

  1. We have a fenced in yard so our dog can run free. Also have a few chairs in the shade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Chairs in the shade in the yard are heaven to me.

      Delete
  2. My in laws have trouble standing up.. They use a walker(no seat no wheels) turned backwards to them to get out of chairs, they also have one at the toilet so the solid part of the walked is against the tank and they use the "handles' to help raise themselves. Don't know if this will help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Those are good ideas. Tommy pulls up on his walker when he is in the recliner. Otherwise, he is sitting on the walker seat...lol. The commode is hard for him, but the walker will not go through the bathroom door. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. dang... someone stole your chair? jerks.
    My yard is gross and my son ruins everything... not just my yard.
    But here we are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McVal,
      Someone stole all my chairs, swing, two lawn mowers, pots full of plants, huge planters, potting mix, sooo many things.

      Delete
    2. sounds like they thought it was abandoned since you had your house collapse?

      Delete
    3. My house did not collapse. They started stealing the first night I was not there. They climbed over the 6' fence after dark. If they thought it was abandoned, they could have come in the driveway in the daytime. They know me and talked to city people. They knew the house was not being abandoned. AND, they stole stuff after the police talked to them.

      Delete
  4. Our front porch has two ferns in hanging baskets and three hanging baskets of 'million bells' (calibrochoa). The landscaping in front of the house has pansies and wave petunias in white, yellow, red, and purple. We have three big knockout rose bushes that are not bloomed yet. At different places around the house, there are half a dozen different peonies (how do you pronounce this? Pee-OWN-knees or Pee-UH-knees.)

    We went to look at flowers in the front of Lowe's on Saturday morning and I noticed someone leaving with a beautiful blue hydrangea. I commented on it. Hubby went to town to buy other flowers and brought one of those, too. When we were there, he was going to go in, but the store was at capacity and there were 17 people in line ahead of him, so he went when they opened Sunday morning. Very few people out at that time, so limited exposure.

    You're going to have that place beautified in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Your place sounds lovely. It is good you have someone willing to make it nice. Tommy does not have one flower or shrub in the whole yard. Someone else mows his yard because he cannot. So, I am forbidden to put anything in the ground. That's okay because I can take pots with me. His porch had nothing on it. Now, it is full of plants and pots and one bag of potting mix...lol. Soon, I plan for it to be in bloom all over. I am going to take one pot of petunia to the back yard so I can see it while back there. It will sit on the tiny patio so as not to have it in the way of the mower.

      I think he likes the flowers. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like Tommy and Hubs have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...