Friday, May 22, 2020

Pickles?

There is an abundance of zucchini, cucumber, and squash here that will not even go in the refrigerator. Plus, everything freezes in the refrigerator. I don't feel well enough to make pickles and do not have a canner. I won't be making zucchini bread. So, I have made some sort of pickles to keep in refrigerator.

Recipe:
2/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 T sugar
garlic
salt
pepper

There was other stuff to put in, but I did not have it. I used the water and vinegar half and half.  I heated the sugar in water and vinegar.

Tommy tasted it 12 hours later, said it was good, but he could barely taste the vinegar. Was it okay to use less vinegar than the recipe called for?

For dinner Friday night, he had a salad--lettuce, lots of tomato, zucchini, squash, cucumber from the pickling I did.

By Friday night my ankles were swollen again. I just hope they will go down each night.

We will be out Saturday, so Friday night I made chicken sandwiches to take with us, along with some strawberries and an apple.

Good news

I found about six potatoes with eyes growing. I have not planted potatoes in the garbage can because I could not get potatoes to grow eyes. Well, maybe, but I cannot find the bag where I put two potatoes. But, tonight I found six potatoes with eye growth emerging. Now, I just have to decide where I am going to place the can. I did not want to buy potatoes to plant.

And, I really need to grow some sweet potato starts. I won't be able to grow many sweet potatoes, but I want to know I can.

What do you know of the type pickles I made? How long will they last in the refrigerator? Do I have to water bath, pressure them for longer term storage? I don't mean years, just months.

9 comments:

  1. You should up the vinegar, it's what helps preserve the vegetables. And, in the fridge should be good for about 6 months, with the right amount of vinegar, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      Thanks. I have gallons of vinegar, so I will put quarts of these in the refrigerator. I just thought they might be to vinegar-y.

      Delete
  2. Wihtout canning, I don't think I'd keep them more than a couple weeks. The vinegar and salt should help but not for long. Your friend Google might be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I got this recipe from google, but wanted to hear from someone who made pickles. I know nothing and cannot sample them.

      Delete
  3. I have a recipe for your refrigerator. Frozen Dill Pickles! More like a bread and butter pickle though , but that's how my recipe was titled when I received it. I have cut the recipe in half and cut back on the sugar, (even before diabetes) These really taste like pickles quickly, and they retain their crunch.
    4 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
    2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion- more or less if you like
    2 TBSP salt
    2 TBSP water
    1/2 cup cider vineager
    3/4 to 1 cup sugar
    1 tsp dill weed or more to taste

    In a glass bowl (do not use aluminum) mix cucumber and onion slices with salt and water. Let stand about 2 hours then drain but don't rinse. Add sugar, vinegar and dill. Mix thoroughly. Let stand stirring from time to time until sugar has dissolved and liquid covers vegetables. Pack in freezer containers (I have used ziploc bags) and freeze leaving 1 inch head space. I have used these a few days to weeks after making and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      I have never heard of frozen dill pickles! I am so short on freezer space, I cannot put many there. Thanks for this. Questions: Only 2T water? Can I use less sugar than 3/4 cup?

      Delete
  4. I just made my first ever bread and butter pickles! I am proud of my endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I should just bread down and make some of my own. but, I forget--no canner. They never seem difficult, but I just never have. You should be proud of yourself. I am.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...