Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The 2020 Graduate

In front of the house next door there has been a yard sign announcing a 2020 graduate from a local high school. It seems the daughter is a newly minted high school graduate. This girl moved out several months ago, and then she was back. I know nothing else.

After hearing all the problems of graduates having "normal" graduations, I decided to do something. I figured out the school colors and I was off to the races.

I bought a cheap colored bag, white tissue, a bag of Dove milk chocolates, a small bag of Fritos, a small bag of Cheetos, and a card that had music. Once I assembled it, I told Tommy to let me know when he saw them out. It is hard for us to get up the steps to their front door, so we leave things on the steps. But, this had chocolate and the temperature was near 90. 

I happened to see the father as he mowed, so I took the gift bag over. He was very happy to get it. Aren't we always happy to see things that will make our children happy? She was not home.

Later, Tommy went to the car and he came back and said they were all outside if I wanted to talk to her. I did go out and waved. The girl started coming over as I clutched the  ramp to stand. We had a good talk. She was all smiles and yes was glad she was out of school and might study to be a hairdresser.

It made me happy to see her smiling. She does like Dove...lol. And, we were no closer than 12 feet.

18 comments:

  1. thats such a lovely thing to do! I feel for young people at the moment, missing their friends & missing important milestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. We did not know each other, but I figured I could do something to make life lighter.

      Delete
  2. How nice! GS graduated summa cum laude from HS this year- the ceremony was virtual with just photos. I am finally venturing out this morning to shop so might pick up a card if I see one. This will be my first outing since March 12th. GS will just be getting a check from me and his 18th birthday is next week too. He hopes to be living in the dorm at his university this year but that's yet to be determined...classes could all be online and no dorm living. After I got my new car battery last week (yes, mine died) I drove around the neighborhood and saw 6 5th grade graduation signs LOL, 1 middle school, and 2 HS. Strange times here- corona virus, racial unrest, and hurricane season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      That is a great accomplishment for the GS. I know you are proud. I highly doubt he will be in a dorm this fall. Well, some universities might open dorms. I need to get my car out and drive it a bit. I have driven it twice since March 12 just to keep it running. That IS a lot of graduation signs. So far, in this neighborhood this is the only one I have seen. These are strange times. I hope you wear a mask and suit up for your trip out into the world...lol. Wear gloves or use hand sanitizer.

      Delete
  3. That was a very thoughtful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a sweet thing for you to do. Here apparently 2 of our neigbors have graduating seniors and we only know that because of the signs that the schools put in their lawn. One the dad took it down the same day it was put there as he is a perfectionist when it comes to his lawn... LOL Here we had a facebook group crop up where you could "adopt" a local senior to give them a gift, etc. It is so nice to see people out supporting these young kids. We had a cookout to celebrate my sister's girlfriend who graduated from college as a nursing major. It was a last minute decision with only our family and 2 friends who came down from Cleveland but she started crying and said it really meant a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Thanks. It felt like the thing to do. That is too bad about the dad worrying about his lawn. I lived in a neighborhood like that, all families except us. That was nice of you to have the party for the new nurse.

      Delete
  5. That was a lovely and kind gesture. There has been a lot of creativity with celebrating, andknowing people care is still valued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Thanks. I started overthinking it, about the kind of chocolate she would like. I soon stopped and grabbed Dove, because who does not like milk chocolate and Dove. Yes, I really did care and she was beaming.

      Delete
  6. OH,that was so sweet of you to do for her! I'm glad she liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thank you. She did like it and was beaming.

      Delete
  7. That was a sweet gesture! It sounds like you both benefitted from the kindness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks. And, I got to meet this neighbor. It is rare to have a conversation in person with anyone but Tommy these days.

      Delete
  8. It's so nice to be remembered when you are having a milestone day. Graduating is sure one of them. That was a very sweet thing you did to brighten her day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      Yes, it is nice when people you do not expect to remember, do remember. Thanks. I had no other graduates in my life this year. I will. You take care, too.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...