Tuesday, August 18, 2020

11 Most Common Mistakes People Make With Hostas and Edit

11 things you are doing wrong with Hosta 

Somehow, I got everything correct when planting my Hosta. However, they can be divided at any time. Well, that is what I found. I mostly divided in the spring when the first bit of the greenery showed. They are so much easier to see and I don't have to fight the huge plant to find the portions I want to cut from the plant. I used a shovel, trowel, of big knife to slice into the earth and remove edges of the Hosta. They recovered quickly. 

The Hosta I managed to save from my yard are tiny ones that will never be large and showy. So, I suppose I will have to buy Hosta bulbs/corms at least once. I can then divide them when they grow. All the ones I had were given to me as huge plants dug up. 

Edit: I finally grew Hosta in pots because of ground squirrels/chipmunks because they love Hosta and eat them down to ground over and over. Hosta does well in pots. They droop a bit when dry, but never die. I would take a pint of water and pour on the surface of the pot when they got too droopy. Otherwise, Hosta are plants that are easy to care for and thrive on neglect. 

Do you have Hostas? Do you divide Hostas? Do you love Hostas like I do?

10 comments:

  1. I've just gotten hostas to actually gtow, not being dug up by critters for the first time. I ahve them in my rock area,a nd they are flourisshing. I'n going to keep getting more and will split my own when they get larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Hostas are not picky or have their feelings easily hurt. You can start digging at one side and then the other, starting Hostas when they are small. I am glad critters are no longer digging them up.

      Delete
  2. We have hostas near the front walk. Hubby tears them off after the first bloom and they come back for a second time. They sure do multiply!

    FYI: I just had my six month follow up from my spinal fusion. Doctor said that I can do anything I want, as long as it's not stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they bloom, I let them wave their little flowers and never cut them. Yes, they do multiply and even if not cut.

      That is great news. I hope I get to that point. I know your life is better.

      Delete
  3. I took some hostas from my sister’s yard and the plants didn’t even know the were moved. They were the large showy kind.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      That was my experience. I had the large kind, too. I love Hostas!

      Delete
  4. Do you know if there are any hostas that will grow in full sun. I have never had any hostas survive.

    I had to laugh about commenter Alice, whose doctor said she could do anything she wanted to, as long as it wasn't stupid. That goes for all of us in all circumstances, great rule to remember, especially these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      There is one Hosta that grows in full sun, but I will have to look it up.

      If people never did stupid things, doctors might not be so busy. I have done the stupid things myself. Yes, that made me laugh, too.

      Delete
  5. I love hostas! I did a search online for Hostas that do well in sun and got an ad for a company out of New Hamshire, so i ordered several hostas and spent over $80 and got these tiny little half dried up little pathetic starts that were wrapped in dry newspaper and planted them, immediately losing 2. I was so angry i called and they refunded my money! Never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      At least you got your money back. That would upset me, too. How many were in the $80 price?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...