Friday, August 14, 2020

A Nightmare During a Nap and Food

 We have a friend who quit his job this week. He worked on restaurant ac and heat. So, we will get an extra box of food for them when we go. We gave them more of our stuff today. They need it. 

Friday night, we had Parmesan chicken, steamed broccoli and cauliflower. It was delicious. All I had to do was put the chicken in the oven and the vegetables in the microwave. These were given to us today. So, dinner was easy peasy, something I needed. The chicken was in its own pan and the vegetables in a steaming bag. I will wash a few green grapes and have those for dessert.

Tonight, I will wash, cut and quick freeze 6 huge Bell Peppers and 3 giant yellow peppers. Tomorrow, they will go into freezer bags unless I remember to do it tonight. There are several heads of celery, too. All will be frozen. Big green apples, 4 make 3 lbs. and will be pie filling for the freezer. 

I gave away the okra. Well, Tommy made the decision to let it go. And, he likes okra but knows how awful I feel. 

This morning, I decided I needed a nap because I awoke so early. It took me a while to go to sleep. It seemed like the nightmare started as soon as I drifted off. And, Tommy came to get me up as soon as it ended and my heart finally beat normally. I was so beat that I lay down in the afternoon, but did not sleep. 

In this nightmare everything was beautiful. I was going on some sort of vacation in the car with a man who was my husband. Now, I do not know this man. I also had the youngest of our children, a boy, and not any child I have had. Plus, my youngest is a girl.

I had been in the gas station doing something and came back to the car where my husband was preparing to get gas. I was in the car, laughing with the child about how this was the first time he had ever been alone with us because older siblings were always in the car. They both were older and had something to do while we drove on a short vacation. 

Then, I was not in the car and came toward the car, tossed my pink purse in the front seat, half closed the door and walked to the trunk where my husband was opening it for some reason. I continued walking around the car. 

Suddenly, I saw a man rummaging in my purse in the front seat. I started screaming and yelling at him like I was being murdered. The woman with the man was screaming at him to bring it all! Over and over. He grabbed my purse and jumped in the car and they sped off. 

I followed on foot, screaming like a banshee, could not make out the license plate, and did not know what kind of car it was. I think it was a little red sports car. I felt gutted and awoke.

My heart was pounding out of my chest when I awoke, barely able to move from the sleep-induced paralysis. I lay there hoping I did not have a heart attack from the stress and extremely elevated heart rate. I suppose that I lay there ten minutes very still, afraid yet and traumatized. 

I could not help it, but I enumerated all I had lost in my purse, including my pink purse and my Social Security card. It was a very vivid nightmare. Yes, I know I am not supposed to carry it. 

We went to the food pickup today and were given two  or three bags, about three pounds of ground sirloin and the Parmesan Chicken and vegetables--three steamer bags of one pound each, four cans of black beans, two cans of Campbell's vegetarian soup, more Green Bell Peppers, the huge apples, something called "Sweet Apriums"-- apricots, 5 lbs. potatoes, 6 huge Bell peppers, and the 3 giant yellow peppers  mentioned earlier in the post, and two gallons of milk, both of which we gave to the neighbor. Black beans were something I was going to buy for the taco salad that ends up like taco soup. I do have two lbs. dried black beans, so now with these, I won't buy more. 

Tomorrow, I will tell of the ordeal with the air fryer. 

Have you ever had your purse stolen right in front of you? Or, dreamed it? Have you ever had a nightmare during a very short nap?

8 comments:

  1. I've had a few dreams recently where I either lost my wallet or it was stolen! Honestly, they seemed very real. Your dinner sounds good- I had kraut and 1 hot dog. It was not very tasty without a bun- I have given up bread for awhile. I'm thinking today I'll find some new recipes that use chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      It was so real that my description does not match the reality of it. Hotdog sounds good, but chicken breast is my favorite thing to eat. I cook a lot of chicken and then put it in all sorts of things. Or, just eat it.

      Delete
  2. When I was at the grocery store in town last week I saw peppers and they wanted $3.49 for 1 of them or a 3 pack for $8.49. I wasn't planning to get any but was shocked at the price. Never had my purse stolen but I use the cross over kind and don't leave it in the cart or anywhere else when I am out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I just refuse to even look at peppers. It is scary the price the command. Crossover purses can be stolen, too. I am usually so careful!

      Delete
  3. no, I cross body my purse when carrying it, seatbelt it in the car and grocery cart/buggy. I don't have REM sleep cycle much so I don't dream much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am glad you have never had a purse stolen! Who ever thought that Rem sleep would come so quickly!

      Delete
  4. I used to have very vivid nightmares just after my divorce. When you pick them apart they can be quite revealing. I was also lucky enough (unlucky enough?) to be able to remember them when I woke up. I was forever in a maze trying to get out (of my marriage) and there was constant chaos (also in my marriage) and trying to protect my younger son (the more vulnerable). I think your nightmares are trying to tell you something - although you might not always want to know what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      You are right about dreams revealing things. They also reflect our lives.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...