Sunday, August 16, 2020

"That was intense."

 After Anne in the Kitchen mentioned she went to Dreamland BBQ, I remembered Tommy had said last winter that we could go there. Well, now was the time. That day, I asked when we might go if he was still planning to go. He said Saturday was the day to go for us. 

Saturday arrived. I had slept very late because I did not sleep the night before.  About 2:30 pm, I mentioned once again going. He said we might not have enough time. Well, that was puzzling but I said I could get ready in about 30 minutes. 

Off we went. Mapquest, or wherever I looked said was 48 miles and 45 minutes. I had complete directions. The day was perfect, sunny, warm, dry, a few little clouds dotted the sky. Since it had been five hours since he ate cereal and milk, I wanted to eat a bit at home. No, not having it. So, I told him I needed something and we stopped and got a plain cheeseburger. 

I was going to get a pulled pork sandwich. It should have been good since it was $10. I looked at the menu and decided before we left home. That was not to be since they don't serve pulled pork at that location. I went in and got a full rack. It was in a very sturdy box. 

We could have gone at a closer location, but we wanted to visit the original location from 1958. After getting the rack, we went to downtown Tuscaloosa, home of University of Alabama and Roll Tide. The sorority and fraternity houses were very impressive, huge with manicured lawns. Kids were all about, walking on the beautiful but hot day. I think every fast food joint and casual dining place known to man was in that few square blocks the university dominated.

We drove about a bit and finally headed home to Hueytown. The ride back was equally pleasant as the trip down. Tommy told me lots about the area since he has lived in Birmingham all his life except for the four years he spent studying engineering at Auburn. 

At home we attacked the ribs. I did not even have time to get something to drink...lol. Tommy got a Pepsi. We each had six ribs. Tommy worried the sauce would be too hot and spicy for me. NOOOO! Delicious.  I had talked about steaming zucchini, onions, and Bel peppers, but that did not happen. We had meat and white bread served to us. 

After I finished eating, I said, "That was intense!" I did not eat fast, but there is a certain rhythm to eating ribs. Tommy laughed hard at my statement and said he had never heard anyone say that eating ribs was "intense." It was not the pace I ate or the taste, just the whole experience.

Immediately, I searched the internet for a place to buy the Dreamland BBQ Sauce. It turns out the sauce is sold many places. I cannot wait to buy some. It may be the new flavor of all meat that I cook. 

Yes, the ribs were great. It was intense, the whole experience of eating them. 

Have you been to Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa? Did you buy the sauce? 

I am congratulating myself on completing a post without erasing it since I have erased four this week.  

18 comments:

  1. I do not like bbq but I do love ribs with just a little sauce. Intense for ribs is like calling labor pains exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had those BBQ's but we discovered last fall a place on a Sunday drive that was delicious and my husband talks all the time about going there again, and again, and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      There is a place we keep saying we are going to visit again, Top Hat, about halfway to Cullman. I have been there many, many times but not lately. Maybe you can get back to your bbq place soon.

      Delete
  3. I made ribs last night; we ate them with relish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I never had relish with slaw...lol...just kidding as I could not help it. I think I have a slab in the freezer. Maybe not.

      Delete
  4. My son-in-law introduced us to white bread with Dreamland BBQ at their Roswell, Georgia location. Before that had never heard of eating white bread with anybody’s BBQ. My very favorite BBQ place in Alabama is Top Hat in Blount Spring. We have been there many times over the years. when my daughter’s family lived in Hayden and Kimberly and Morris. It beats Jim & Nick’s all to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top Hat is our next BBQ trip, not any time soon, but eventually.

      Delete
  5. We are BBQ aficionados and there are very few joints a hundred mile radius we have not been to at one time or another. I like Dreamlands ribs but only from the original location, though truthfully Archibald's in Tuscaloosa are even better. For a pulled pork sandwich I love Full Moon with sauce and chow chow. White bbq chicken is best at Bob Gibsons, but Miss Myras in Cahaba Heights is a pretty close second. And I forgot totally about Saw's. Everything there is pretty good.
    For the record: White bread with Dreamland sauce is so good it makes you want to cry, but my personal favorite sauce is Ollie's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have a piece of Dreamland white bread and some sauce. I may eat them together...lol. How do you rate Jim N Nick's? I like them and was glad to get a bbq with slaw on it. They had one in Cullman that is closed now, I suppose because of Covid19. I will have to try the others you mentioned. Thankfully, pork does not seem to have the negative effects as beef, so I can enjoy the occasional bbq. I will keep your recommendations in mind. Any sauce on bbq that is not hot and not vinegar, I will try.

      Delete
    2. Ollies is a vinegar based sauce, which is why I love it.
      Jim and Nick's is fine. Love their cheese biscuits but I find most of their food is too salty for my tastes. TheHub loves their Brunswick stew.

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      I am talking about vinegar as a sauce. I had that once and was disgusted. I like the tomato-y sauce. I think I had their cheese biscuits the first time I went there.

      Delete
  6. OH, you southerners. I am so jealous of all your barbecue choices. I live in So Cal and there doesn't seem to be many highly recommended places around here. The chain of Lucille's is quite good considering this isn't the south.

    Anybody have any recommendations for out west?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne out West,
      I hope you get answers.

      Delete
    2. Anne, I am also in Southern California. If you are in the San Diego area I have a recommendation

      Delete
  7. IMO, there is no better BBQ than Texas beef brisket or ribs. I love Texas BBQ sauce, and do not like any type of white BBQ sauce. Y'all need to come to Texas, and see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      The white stuff is awful. Well, we will be right out to try Texas style.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...