Friday, August 21, 2020

Plums, Other Food, Dinner

 Every year for the last thirty years, I have yearned for plums, a certain kind. These plums probably have a name. I don't know. But, they are always found on country roads. They are less than golf-ball sized and a pinkish-yellowish color. When ripe, they are a pinkish color. They are delicious. 

I have seen the plum trees, but cannot get to them. I would have to get into a weedy ditch and back up the other side to face a fence. For a long time I knew people who would either get these for me or allow me access to trees that were not in such forbidding places. I am not against braving weedy ditches, but I could not safely go down even the most shallow ditch. 

People have pointed out that car emissions might make me sick if the emission were in or on the plums. Well, I can wash them and I do know there are no pesticides sprayed on these plums. So, there!

These make great jam! I want some. However, by the first of June they are all gone. I can just taste them on hot buttered toast. Have you ever had these or still have access? 

This leads me to today's plums. Or, today's plums inspired the above ruminations.

Today's food box:

a bag with 6 huge black plums

1 head of celery

8 bags of baby carrots, the tiny bags served in school lunches

2 oversized yellow squash

5 lbs. potatoes

5 lbs. oranges

3 lbs apples

2 gallons of milk

We got a box for the neighbors, the one out of work. I also gave him the two squashes, bag of potatoes, our milk, celery in addition to their identical box.  There are three adults eating, so they can eat more potatoes. I hate large squash, and they can use more celery than we do. 

Thusday night, I put 7 chicken breasts, yellow peppers, all the carrots, 4 largish new potatoes, salt and pepper in an oven bag. I am out of garlic and just did not slice an onion. It will be done in time for me to serve it and still hear every minute of the DNC broadcast.

Two breasts are in the freezer in one bag. The other four breasts will be meals, lunch and dinner for three days. Yay for no cooking.  

Thursday afternoon, I took a 3.5 hour nap that I needed for my sleep deficit.

On Wednesday, I found a penny when I pumped gas. I forgot to tell you yesterday. I had to walk around the car to find it. But, I was determined to find a coin. 

Okay, it is Friday and I slept until 11:30 even after Tommy calling me twice like I asked him to call me. I think I am caught up on sleep. 

Okay, people, have you ever had or seen these small pinkish-yellowish plums?



12 comments:

  1. I don' think I have seen or had those plums, but I can imagine the jam is delcious. I love a tart jam. When I had ample access to currants I made currant jelly andit was my sons favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I can imagine currant jelly would be great. I try to use as little sugar as I can in jelly and jam. I have not made any in a few years.

      Delete
  2. I have not seen them, but I am (finally after a tough go) a diet controlled diabetic so I don't eat much fruit. My husband loves pears, peaches and plums. I'll have to ask him about them. Do you think it's simply a southern thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Quite possibly, it is a Southern thing. I thought of that. I probably eat too much fruit as I am diabetic. Thanks. Maybe I should aspire to your success with diabetes.

      Delete
  3. SureJell has a low/no sufar pectin that makes great jelly or jam. It is a little more runny that the normal SureJell. Uses about half the sugar than normal or you can use Splenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I think I have used low sugar pectin. Not sure. It is a great idea! I wonder if I can use Swerve? Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  4. From google:
    Description/Taste
    Mini pink plums are a small variety, roughly an inch and a half in diameter with reddish-pink skin and gold-colored flesh surrounding its central pit (stone). Sweet and slightly tart, the mini-pink plum is juicy when ripe. Despite their small size, mature mini-pink plums are full-flavored.

    Seasons/Availability
    Mini-pink plums are available for a brief time in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      Those are the ones, I am quite sure. "Brief time" is correct. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. hi, PP!! when i was a girl, i had a friend whose grandmother had a lovely yard/garden. these grow on a plant that looks like a lilac bush, and are small and purple around here.they are called prune plums, and have an intense flavor. they are used in all kinds of cooked filling for fancy italian cookies, in brandy, jam, etc. i just bought some today, they just came out. glad to talk to you, GD :>)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like plums too although we only get the same type no others more's the pity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I have had three different kinds of plums this summer. I wonder why you never get other types where you live.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...