Sunday, August 23, 2020

Saturday Produce and Shelling Peas

 Since there will be heavy rain all this next week, we went to Cullman on Saurday. I checked my mail and got an important letter. I relayed yesterday the canned peaches that are on sale.

But, I forgot to tell you about the produce I bought at the Festhalle Farmer's Market. One woman had freshly shelled beans/peas. One container was $10. My coupons for produce were in $6 denomination. She gave me enough to make it a $12 purchase. 

I asked the young woman when the peas were shelled. She said, "Today." Our eyes locked; mine in incredulity. She quickly explained she has a pea shelling machine. That must be nice! My mother had four pea shelling machines--US!

I love yellow crookneck squash and found my favorite vendor had them. Each little cup was $3, so I got two cups for my $6 coupon. Sunday, I will make squash casserole. I have ends of bread in the freezer to use for that. 

Saturday for dinner, we had Romaine and lettuce salad and a pimiento and cheese hamburger. The two huge patties were given to me. The tomatoes were the 4/$1 ones I bought at Piggly Wiggly and they were actually very good. The Romaine was from a bag that was bogo at Publix. The dinner was frugal and very good.

How do I feel about pimiento and cheese hamburgers? They were delicious. Neither the pimiento nor the cheese were neither one very evident, but just a note of goodness. I won't be making one myself, but I approve. I ttied it full of trepidation, but no worries.

Tommy got rid of two more shirts that were given to him by his cousin. He received these about ten years ago and some he does not like, so they are going. Others he has worn. 

Sunday, I will freeze the peas. I don't know if I will cook them and freeze them or blanche them and freeze. This much activity will exhaust me. But, I will. There is a scant gallon and a beautiful sight. 

I talked to my friend who has a junk store, had surgery last month, and physically is in bad shape. She has to wait every morning, hoping that someone will come and use a lift and get her out of bed.  I feel sad for her. People promise they will come and then call her and say "I am busy." No, she cannot get state help because her dead husband's ss is too much.  Her four grown children and about a half dozen grown grandchildren are too busy. 

When I say she is a friend, I only know her from her junk store. I actually had about a dozen friends that I met through their antique stores. Three were actually friends who came to my home. One was a long-time friend who retired and opened an antique store. I suppose friends come in lots of degrees. 

I took chicken sandwiches for lunch and took a Coke and Diet Pepsi in a cooler with a bag full of ice. I love chicken and Miracle Whip sandwiches. 

We left before 7 am and were home before noon. And, then I took a nap, a very good, long nap. 

Saturday was a very calm August day. There were storms somewhere around but not here.

Have you ever sat and shelled peas on a hot summer day? It seem everyone in the South has sat on the front porch shelling peas with family. With the advent of air conditioning, sitting indoors is the choice for pea-shelling sessions these days. Share your experiences with pea-shelling or other produce preps, if you will. Was it and is a family affair?+


10 comments:

  1. I will need to do some research, but I think your store freind might be the victim of elder neglect, which i real thing. That is the most awful thing I have ever heard. How acna between that number of people ll be too busy to help her, but then keep her waiting and bed ridden. Wouldn't her insurance require that a service be paid to have a home visit staff help her? That is neglect on their part as well. THe peas sound so good. I haven't seen them here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I think the thing is she makes too much money from ss paid her since she collects on dead husband's account. I am going to call her and check up on her. I certainly am not able to do anything for her that requires anything physical. I would do it occasionally if I could. I tried one time to help her by raising her feet to a stool to help alleviate her swelling feet. But, it hurt me so I could not. I will find out more this week.

      Delete
  2. Used to sit on the back steps and shell peas - also got yelled at for eating them fresh out of the pods. My mom said there wouldn't be any left for supper if I kept snacking on them. She would make creamed peas and we would have it with pork chops and the creamed peas we would put on top of our potatoes. It was very good. Usually had some sliced cucumbers in vinegar and water with sliced onion with it and sliced tomatoes. All from the garden. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      That is funny you ate them raw. We had green peas on top of our potatoes and brown gravy, but not creamed. All from the garden dinners were great back then as now. how is the weather in MN?

      Delete
  3. Shelling peas and breaking beans was always a family affair and still is today. Your produce sounds so nice this week. Nothing like summer time for fresh foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It seems wrong NOT to eat fresh food in the summer. We all sat down to get the job done, too. Now, I would not be able to use my hands for a week if I shelled or broke beans! I am enjoying the tomatoes so much.

      Delete
  4. I have never shelled peas but then again I don't make peas very often and neither did anyone in my family growing up. Now we husk corn as a family and snap beans as a family. The boys love helping me snap fresh green beans when I get them. I have a trip on the to do list to our local farm market this week to get more green beans, tomatoes and melon. I have been eating tomatoes with eggs every day since I bought some last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      We shelled peas and snapped beans, but no corn husking. We shelled pecans in the fall and winter. I have never eaten eggs with tomatoes. I have heard people do that. I like trips to the Famer's Market.

      Delete
  5. I certainly could be wrong but I wouldn't think that anybody who is living off of social security would be disqualified for other government help. She might have gotten some bad info. I assume she is on Medicare. Perhaps you can encourage her to spend some serious time in checking on what Medicare might provide.

    And I can totally relate to grown children not caring about your health. We have three middle aged sons and none of them has bothered to check on us in the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I am going to see if she can check further. It does not seem right. I have met people who were suffering from cancer and it was evident who could not get further help because they owned a house and acreage. Family had to help to pay bills so that their mother would not have to sell family farms. It does not seem right.

      If your grown children asked about your health and found out you needed something, they might have to help. I do understand.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...