Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Stock Up and Groceries for Right Now

Wednesday, I awoke with grocery shopping on my mind since the ads start today.  Publix was the first stop. More than half of what I spent was stock up with good prices.

Quaker's Old-Fashioned Oats bogo so 4, $2.72 each, 42 oz, large size
4 Wheat Thins Hint of Salt, 2 for $5
Special K Red Berries 2 for $3.99
Badia olive oil $6.19
Newman olive oil $8.99
Vigo olive oil $2.49
2 Prego Three Cheese @ $1.99
18 Eggs $2.08
1 tomato $2.09 
5 bananas $0.95
4 Prego (2 mushroom and 2 traditional) @$1.99
4 1/2 gals. a2milk @ $4.49
4 Wheat Thins Hint of Salt 2 for $5

That tomato will have to be the entree from the price of it. We missed the farmer's market yesterday, and there are none here unless we travel a bit to go there. Price was the same several stores. Tommy hates mushrooms, but once he picks them out and gives them to me, he is okay. It would suit me fine to add mushrooms to the mushroom spaghetti sauce.  I add things to the jar spaghetti--onions, bell peppers, olive oil, cinnamon.

The olive oil was chosen by which bottles were glass instead of plastic. And, it will all go into the freezer. I do not buy a gallon that must be decanted. If it is not all decanted, the air in the gallon will cause it to become rancid. Ask me how I know. I obviously don't use it fast enough. When I have enough of these empty glass jars, I will buy a gallon and decant it all at once. 

I still have Special K Red Berries from last sale of them. 

We can share a box of crackers, but I am a pig sometimes. So, I will put our names on these boxes to keep me from getting into them and never stopping. Although a few months ago, he did the same thing. And, we will not open the other two boxes until September. I have to have rules with the goodies...lol. He is agreeable to the "rules." I don't impose them unless he agrees. And, they mostly control me. 

Then, on to Piggly Wiggly:

1 pack McCormick dry chili mix $ 1.35
4 Kraft Original BBQ Sauce @$1
2 six-packs Minute Maid OJ @$3.30, medical use!
2 Honey Nut Cheerios @ $2, for him

EDIT: The cost + 10% at the Pig cost me $1.68 more than cost of groceries. The "60 or better" saved me $0.84 since people over 60 save 5% on cost of groceries.

Finally:
mattress pad
batteries AA and AAA
baby aspirin
2 hair color
lipstick
spiral notebook  a quarter
soap bubbles for blowing bubbles

So, $200.00 later, I feel a bit stocked up and have groceries, too. But, I forgot to get grapes. We have plenty of fruit, but grapes are on sale. 

15 comments:

  1. You seem to have stocked up well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      It is not a complete stockup, but i cannot do it all at once. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. We love Special K red berries as well. I shoukd give myself rules-I sure can over indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Thankfully, Tommy cannot stand Red Berries. Sometimes, I take a cup full of milk and cereal in the car when he is stopping to get a sausage biscuit. The rules keep me from just being out of control.

      Delete
  3. I remember buying cookies on sale and writing on the pack that they were not to be opened until a particular date. If I hadn't, the kids would have finished them off in days (they were in primary school those days)
    It's nice to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to stock up. I have to limit myself by spelling it out, just like for your kids...and, lol...my kids, too.

      Delete
  4. The price of tomatoes is just awful. That is why I was so happy that my son brought me two from his garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AD,
      Lucky you! My tomatoes are not doing well in this heat.

      Delete
  5. I have been reading your blog for about a year now, or maybe it is two, I forget. What I'm about to say is not meant as a criticism, just an observation. You seem to "stock up" every week or every other week, constantly buying "stuff". You may need three or four more freezers before you're done! Soap bubbles for blowing bubbles, now there's a real necessity. Are your shelves bursting at the seams? And why did you buy 48 rolls of toilet paper at one time the last time you bought any? As I said, this is not meant as a criticism, it's just hard for me to get my head around it all. I think you pride yourself on your thriftiness, yet you are constantly buying. I do realize we have to buy things to live unless we can "grow our own" so maybe I'm just running off at the mouth. Please forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      If you read carefully, you would realize that stock up prices do not happen to everything at once. I will not buy another freezer or need one.
      The price of Quaker Oats was low enough to stock up on that and not everything i need. Do you really think oats are all I need? Why not buy a 48 roll pack at a good price? Soap bubbles were $1. Problem?

      Maybe someone else can explain this concept of stocking up to you.

      Delete
  6. I think I deleted a comment. Please repeat! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stocked up on toliet paper before covid and still have an embarrassing amount of it. At least it is something we use and my stockpile will go down. I kept finding good sales of our brands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Toilet paper is not going to go to waste. Eventually, it will be used. As I find good sales on things, I intend to keep buying...lol. Okay, I suppose I do have a limit.

      Delete
  8. I was listening to a podcast on the history of grocery stores as I got to Piggly Wiggly I read your entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      What a bit of synchronicity! So, now you know that the Pig's genesis was in Memphis which is my hometown.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...