Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Chairs Gone; Shelves Moved; Food Shared

 I awoke on Tuesday morning feeling awful with a slight temperature. However, I was determined to get the shelves in place. I laid around after getting up at 10 am and going back to bed from 11 am until after 2 pm. ugh

Wednesday, I have an appointment to have teeth cleaned but I am not really sure if I can make it or hold my mouth open! So, I suppose I will cancel once again. Allergies are killing me. 

Before Tommy's show came on at 3 pm Tuesday, I told him that at 4 pm we were going to remove food off of and around his chairs and move them outside to street. Then, we would put the shelves in place and do nothing else. He was all for that. 

I told Tommy that the next shelves I buy will be plastic ones! He strongly agreed. 

While he was moving the first two chairs out to the road, I removed the other two from behind the table. I used my torn rotator cuffs and injured back more than I should. The last chair I hoisted and sort of threw it across piles of food on the floor...lol. It landed on food. Tommy was shocked I could do that. Of course, I had to lie down for an hour. And, I still hurt1

Then, I assembled dinner--used small casserole where I had stored leftover squash and onions, chopped two fresh tomatoes and put that on top, put in chopped chicken cooked over the weekend, put cheese on top and put in the oven. It was delicious, one dish and low in carbs and fat. 

About 10:15, I took a picture of the chairs on the curb. It was so cold out--57F. Summer weather will return for a bit.

Wednesday morning, I heard something outside that seemed like the chairs were being taken. I came into the living room and saw two of the chairs were gone. I was baffled. He pointed out that someone was coming back for the other two. In five minutes I heard the vehicle again. So, all four are gone. YAY! I hated for them to go to a thrift store when someone could use them. 

Now, I am watching the debate and yelling at the TV! 

I called yesterday and a application for absentee ballot is being sent to both of us. We both enjoy the voting in person process, but physical limitations and covid19 have convinced us both to vote by mail/absentee ballot. 

In the last week, we went to a food bank where I got 3 lbs. bs chicken breast and a package chicken legs and thighs. At the one where I can choose and do so over the phone, I could get a specific number of items. Finally, I said could I have what was left for me in green beans. So, I got five cans of green beans. I also got 2 3-pound bags of chicken breasts, the kind frozen with thin layer of ice and separate and not frozen in a lump. I received two 5lb-bags of potatoes, 2 5-lb bags of apples, 2 5-lb bags of pears, 2 1-lb bags of baby carrots, a box of bars I like, can of corn, can of peas, a dozen expensive eggs, and we cannot remember what else. 

Not feeling well has its consequences. Sunday night, the eggs I put in the refrigerator shifted and slid out on the floor, spilling the whole dozen. I threw away four before I realized I could have saved two of those. One of those burst all over the floor. I saved 8 eggs. However, 4 had a dent. So, I washed 4 eggs and put them back in the refrigerator. I took the four dented ones and broke them and scrambled them about 1 am. Yuck, I was tired. So, I actually saved 8 out of the 12 eggs. 

The one that broke on the floor still had the yolk intact. I retreated to wait and clean it up. Well, the yolk broke finally. I had to clean it up about 2 am. That was so hard. From now on when I have to put eggs on top of bags of apple in the refrigerator, I am using a rubber band to keep it closed. At least, if the carton slides out, the eggs will be contained. 

What we did not like or was too much of the food given us, we loaded it up and took it to poor area of town and gave it all away to one person on Tuesday. She seemed appreciative. We were appreciative that we did not have to waste it. 

I had to cancel my Wednesday dentist appointment for about the fifth time. My gums are sore from lack of teeth cleaning! About two months ago, I was willing to buy a new toothbrush since I could not get in to the tooth cleaning and receive a new one. However, GUM brand is hard to find. I was willing to order from the internet, but there were too many kinds to choose the one he wants me to use, that he gives me. I called and asked could I buy a toothbrush from the office. I was told to come by and get a new one anytime I needed one. The woman brought it to the car. So, a small economy. 

So, more food is gone and we only have to organize what is here. Some of each thing will stay in the kitchen. The rest will be stored in the bedroom. 

At noon today, I was just too ill to even smear pb on bread. We went to Arby's and had a Reuben sandwich. Anne in the Kitchen mentioned a coupon and he had it. I asked for the sauerkraut "on the side" since I only eat a few strings on the sandwich. Less than a tablespoon was used. I brought the little container home and put it in a freezer bag for Tommy to eat with a hot dog some day. So, another small economy. I guess sauerkraut freezes well. ???

I asked him if he enjoyed the sandwich. He said that is was good and something different. He craves something different more than I do. 

Then, we loaded up four 5-lb. bags of potatoes, another bag with onions and apples and found a very nice man to take them. He put them in the car with his father and said he was "going right home to cook some potatoes." 

Next hurdle? Figuring what to cook for dinner and actually cooking it.

Do you or your person in your house crave something different, or are you the one wanting something different to eat. 


14 comments:

  1. My husband wanted to get a pizza for the debate. I did nt wan tot ruin a good pizza with what was sure to piss me off. So yes, he frequently wants take out or to go out to eat wen we doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I think that is funny==getting a pizza like it was a football game, entertainment. I suppose football games are less contentious.

      Delete
  2. We didn't watch the debate and from the way it sounded I am glad we skipped it. I just hate politics and it only gives me ulcers. There is nothing I can do about it anyway. I like going to vote too. It is always fun to visit while waiting in line but covid has stopped that for us. We have mail in ballots now. Our meals are pretty boring I think. I try to get some healthy food on but we don't seem to have a lot of variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Believe it or not, I am not so political...until the last four years! We have more variety than he lets on. He never, ever complains. But, sometimes he makes statements that tell me what he really thinks. Since I am the only one here who knows how to cook, he really cannot say much.

      Delete
  3. Sooner I'd eat rats at Tewkesbury than listen to the ravings of the current president. I am told he would not assure a peaceful exit nor denounce white supremacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      I had to hear it for myself rather than wait for someone to tell me what to think. You heard right!

      Delete
  4. I am an adventurous eater. (& Chef) John is a guy who can eat the same thing day after day. There are about 10 (boring)items that he really likes.

    I'm with you I had to see the debate myself. I thought Joe Biden stayed cool ...certainly cooler than I would have been able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I think neither of us is much adventurous, but he is more so than I.
      I imagine my blood pressure was up after watching that and yelling "shut up" at the TV. Tommy was bored.

      Delete
  5. Be careful not to get so much done you can't enjoy the results because you are bed bound! It's good you could find others that would enjoy the food items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before the virus we probably went out for fast food for lunch maybe twice a week. I always felt a little guilty, but my husband will only eat VERY few things and I do get tired of them. So it was my chance to get a little something different.

    Believe me, I have tried for 37 years to expand his menu but it has been a no go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Tommy will not eat basil if I put it in something. But, he will eat processed food with basil! He hates eggs, will not eat mine, but eats them at church breakfasts. He changes what he likes and drives me nuts. He went out for a hamburger most days for lunch before I came here.

      Delete
  7. My husband is pretty good about eating. He eats almost anything I will cook for him so I try and make the monthly meal menu interesting but it doesn't always happen. I wanted to ask you , what is the throwing the chairs away and all the food all over the place about? I must have missed something. I"m sorry you're sick. You don't have the virus do you? My husband watched the debate, he's a real politic head but I turned it off about 5 minutes into it as it was a total dumpster fire for both of them. I decided last year to stay away from politics. it just raises emotions and precious energy in me that I could put to use on much better things. This week has been a dumpster fire for me health wise. I feel like it's all a blur. It started with the sinus migraine on Monday which lasted until yesterday and today I'm still feeling the after affects from it. No pain today for the first time thank goodness but it did come back yesterday morning like it did on Monday when it began. I started to cry last night and told my husband I felt like I was in the film ground hog day because even though it's Wednesday it's Monday all over again! ..LOL.. Today I took it easy cause I'm still weak. I just fried up some fish for dinner for my husband with a veggie and some rice and let it go at that. Washed all the dishes that had been sitting in the sink all day, took a shower and now I"m resting again.. I pray you feel better soon and quickly. It's no fun feeling so sick and weak.. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No virus, just my October allergies. When I came here, he did not want me here to intrude on his life. So, I/we bought food and he said not to bother his stuff in cabinets. Most of the cabinets were empty! But, at any rate, they were full of roach poop. I don't go there. So, food was put on the table, on chairs, in boxes...just anywhere. Plus, there is no ceiling lights in kitchen or dining room. The chairs were lacking screws to sit upright, so I will not sit on them nor will he since either of us in the floor will be a real problem. I curb shopped and found great ladder back chairs that we cleaned and are going to reupholster. When he was working so hard cleaning them, I asked him if he wanted them. He was emphatic--YES! We put the old chairs, still usable with a couple of screw, on the curb and someone took them in less than 12 hours. So, they were not thrown away. I have a set of shelves now that will take me a bit to get set up so I can clear food from floor and table.

      I had migraines one season. I ate cheese three times a day and for snacks...lol. The worse I felt the less other food I ate. Finally, I wondered if cheese was the problem. Yes, it was. I still eat cheese but not in excess. I remember the horrible feeling afterwards. One time, during 10 days, I had a headache for 8 days.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...