Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Post Office Post

 My friend, John, shared a PO story. His mother would write a postcard and mail it the morning for a penny. It would be delivered to her sister who lived on the other side of the county. The postman would deliver it and wait for the sister to write a reply on a postcard. Then, the postcard was delivered to John's mother.

Mail was delivered twice a day back then. I don't remember mail being delivered twice a day. Tommy says he does and he is much younger than I. Do you remember mail being delivered twice a day?

Ready for some Southern Gothic writing? No, it is not scary, it's funny.  It is about the PO. Tell me how hard you laughed. 

No one read the story???

8 comments:

  1. I remember the difference between first and second class postage, it was cheaper if you just tucked the envelope flap in instead of sealing it. I can't remember what it cost (1957 or so). In our neighborhood, there were two deliveries daily from thanksgiving until Christmas because people sent out hundreds of Christmas cards.
    Cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan,
    I just don't remember two deliveries each day! I think everyone but me does. That is amazing that two deliveries were required because of the cards. Today, not many people can afford so many cards. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never remember two deliveries a day. Our postman came mid morning and that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is what I remember. Did you read the story?

      Delete
  4. I personally don't remember two deliveries per day, but I have heard about it. It's possible it was only in the largest of cities. I do remember when AIR MAIL got your letter somewhere faster. The air mail envelopes were edges in red and blue so the post office could easily spot them, and they cost a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      John lived in a tiny town in a county with low population. Actually, there was no town, just lived in the country. I remember the airmail envelopes! Did you read the story?

      Delete
  5. I clicked on your link and discovered it is one of my all-time favorite short stories. I generally like Flannery O’Connor better than Eudora Welty, but this story has made me laugh every time I have ever read it. It always brightens my day and puts me in a happy mood. Eudora knocked it our of the park with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...