Sunday, October 11, 2020

Amazon Deliveries

 Saturday, my first ever Amazon box was delivered to me. Thursday night, I ordered two items, iron and hair clippers. Tommy said it was Friday. Either way, they came early Saturday afternoon. Then, later Saturday afternoon, he went to the laundry room on the carport and inside the carport in front of my car was the third item--dehydrator. 

The clippers are charging so I can give him a haircut Sunday. OMG, I need Clipper OIL only to oil the blades! Okay, I remembered I had a bottle of Machine Oil here. There are no instructions about how to use the clippers. Obviously, a person is supposed to know how to cut hair. Hopefully, a video exists to help me.

The iron is beautiful and so heavy--3.3 lbs. Sewing well is practically impossible without an iron. It is white and the shiniest stainless steel ever. I can actually use the sole plate for a mirror. There is no distortion of my face. Amazing. 

For a 1966 wedding shower I received two irons. One was a steam iron and the other was a dry iron. The woman who gave me the dry iron told me it was a heavier iron and that I would not have to push so hard to use it. The woman who gave me the steam iron said I would not have to use a Coke bottle with a sprinkler in it anymore.

I kept the dry iron and loved it and used it often.  I made all my clothes and most of the girls' clothes. 

When the dry iron was broken by a kid visiting in my house, I got a steam iron and hated every time I used it. Even when I used it dry, I hated the hole marks left on the fabric. A damp wash cloth, a flick of water on fabric, or a spray bottle serve my purposes. 

This iron weighs 3.3 lbs., a lot for my abilities. But, I will manage, especially since I have not ironed in years and specialize in wearing clothes that do not need ironing... lol. 

I cannot get to my Excalibur Dehydrator in the storage unit. So, I bought one I can handle. It is white, has thermostat and timer. It only has five trays, but with great effort, I can handle it. Once it is in place, there is no need to move it. My other is black and nine trays. I really hated the black hulk it was. So, eventually, I may sell it. Maybe I will this smaller, white one. I will pay Tommy for this one. 

Saturday was like Christmas around here. Actually, it was better than Christmas. 

I sat all day Saturday. I felt awful! Around 7:15 pm, I told Tommy if he wanted dinner, we needed to go buy it or he could find something in the refrigerator. He immediately said he would have the two salad mixes. I reminded him where the tomatoes were. He also got baby carrots. I told him he could put chopped chicken on his salad or heat it and put bbq sauce on it. Soon he went off to the kitchen and came back with his food. This is the first dinner he has "prepared" himself. 

He seemed satisfied with his dinner! I had none. 

12 comments:

  1. I very rarely iron and I had a heavy old iron (old as in probably from the 80s) which had tape around the frayed electrical cord but eventually it stopped working and now I have a very light iron that doesn't feel right in my hands. I've never had a sprinkler bottle, it seems not to have been done here, my mum used to just flick water off her hand for some items, I use a spray bottle.

    I'm so pleased you have got some things to make life easier and what a success to have Tommy "cooking"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      When I got the spray iron, it never felt right, either. The sprinkler bottle was a Coca-Cola bottle with a cork stopper and a sprinkler top to sprinkle the clothing with water.

      Life will be easier with all these things. I must have given away 50 lbs. of potatoes that I could have dehydrated, among other things. Tommy is "cooking" again tonight. I think the antibiotic is what is making me feel so ill.

      Delete
  2. I have two irons and both of them are steam irons. I find most of the steam irons don't work that well so I bought a European model that I'd been eyeing for some time. It really shoots out steam but the issue for me is having to fill the reservoir which you cannot do unless you wait for the iron to cool down a bit. Good thing I don't iron much. I mainly bought the good steam iron for quilting. I hope you are feeling at least a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      A good iron for the job is a must! I can imagine that is true for quilting. Filling the reservoir is a true pain! Maybe I never had a really good steam iron...lol. Feeling worse all of a sudden.

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha, sorry to make you feel bad. If it's any comfort, I wanted the steam iron for about 18 years before I took the plunge and bought it. I'm not sorry I did.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      I wanted a dry iron in 1979 when this one was broken, but back then it was hard to find what I wanted. So, now I need an iron and things are easier to find. My steam iron may have made it out of the house, but probably in a huge bag of other stuff that I will find after many years.

      Delete
  3. I got a dry iron for M and cut the cord off for her. I also gave her Daddy's. I have a dry iron for sewing. A steam iron for the regular ironing but use a spray bottle instead of the steam part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      How does she heat the iron? Using a spray with an iron still leaves me with hole marks on clothing. But, It works for ironing not pressing as you have found.

      Delete
  4. we seem to regularly go through irons as they are used continually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      I cannot imagine you use one more than I did when I ironed dress shirts, all our other clothing plus used them during sewing. My first iron lasted 13 years before it was knocked off the ironing board. Actually, the whole ironing board was knocked over because of horseplay. But, I don't know how much you two use an iron. My first iron was a GE, and that was long ago...lol. Maybe they are not so well-made now.

      Delete
  5. I am one of those rare people who actually likes to iron. I set up the board, turn on an old movie and start ironing. I did NOT enjoy ironing dress shirts either. I have a new iron that I haven't actually used other than for a touch up here and there. Awhile back I bought a new cordless iron in a thrift store. I don't care for it much. You have to place it in the charging cradle when you are moving the garment instead of being able to just set it on it's heel. I just can't get use to it ....but the price was right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Lucky you, liking to iron. I never heard of a cordless iron. Maybe it was in the thrift store for the same reason you did not like it. Interesting. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...