Saturday, October 10, 2020

Freezing, Friend Found, Yard Sale, Weather, Covid

 Friday, Tommy showed me a yellow dandelion. The yard thinks it is spring. I am going to pick dandelion greens from other plants I saw. That will be a salad or part of a salad. 

I called the police department in Huntsville. They did a welfare check on Charlie and called me back. They got no response when they went to his home. The officer asked me if he had property on the other side of town. I told her he had about forty houses. She spelled his name wrong and asked me if that was right. She said he had called numerous times about problems. Yes, that would be my friend. People steal things like the sink and water heater when they move out of his rental properties. 

She had a different phone number and would not give it to me. She said she would call and call me back. A few minutes later he called and said, "I am not dead." He had gotten a new cell provider and could not carry his phone to the new provider. His home phone is not disconnected. He said he was pissed because he had been paying the bill. If his home phone had worked, he would have returned my call and would have given me his new cell number. So, I have it in my phone now. Whew! 

Three pounds of processed cheese are divided into six  bags. Five of them are in a larger bag, and the loose one is for Tommy to use. The other six little packages of cheese from the second 3-lb. bag are in the freezer. I realize this will not work for slices on a sandwich, but it can be sliced to use. It would just mold in the refrigerator since it will be months before we can use it all. I used gloves to handle the cheese as touching cheese is one thing that causes it to mold...eew. 

Likewise, the chicken chops are in little bags and in the freezer. I think it must have been previously frozen. Hopefully, it will not hurt us to refreeze it, thaw and eat. The four pound packages of unsalted butter are in the freezer. With what butter I have in the freezer already there will be no need to buy more. 

The four pounds of cheese are unsalted. I never use or buy unsalted butter. I can use 1/4 tsp of salt with each stick used in a recipe. Then, it will be the same as salted butter. 

Yesterday, I started researching and "collecting" recipes for my holiday favorites, and "editing" them where they are the ones I used for years. I cannot print at the moment, so I read the recipe to Tommy. He never minds writing things for me. It was easy to find a pumpkin bread that works since I eliminated all the ones that called for "pumpkin spice." eeew

I found a very large, pretty, scalloped  glass bowl at a yard sale last week. Plus, I found an ancient colander that is much like mine I had for over 50 years. This one is nasty, but is salvageable. It cost me nothing. The kid did not add it to the cost of the bowl, so both cost me $1 instead of $1.50. We were too far gone to give them the two quarters difference I owed. 

Last Sunday we passed sign after sign advertising yard sales for the Friday and Saturday before. So, we determined we would go out today looking for yard sales. Of course, this weather will prevent sales. 

So far, today, the bad weather is nowhere near us. Tornado watches are far enough south that they are no concern to us. Even the rain is just a bit. the clouds are allowing the sunshine through at times. So, not so bad, just conditions I don't want to be outdoors or on the roads. When I was younger, nothing deterred me...lol. Are you experiencing Delta caused  conditions at your house?

On Friday I talked to a woman who works at a business I have frequented. She had covid19. So, this is the first person I have actually known who was a victim. 

Do you use unsalted butter? Often? I have never used a recipe that called for it. 

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a productive day. Good news about your friend and sad news about the woman you know. Have a good rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very productive for me. I was glad I found him well. The person with covid is back at work after being off for 3.5 weeks. We had to stop talking before I learned whether she had any lingering effects. It is good so far. Thanks. I hope your weekend is a good one.

      Delete
  2. Hope the weather stays okay! We've accidentally purchased unsalted butter, and like you, just add extra salt to make up for it.

    We know several people who have had COVID, and have several friends who have parents/grandparents who have passed away from it, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP,
      It appears to be okay now, no warnings. I knew if salt was the only thing different, it was not going to be a problem.

      I probably do know more people affected with covid and am not aware as yet.

      Delete
  3. Weird that you had just a little rain. It poured down here this morning, stopped for a bit and then poured again until about 6. But there was a reward. At 6 we had the most beautiful double rainbow that stayed visible for about 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I just asked Tommy and he said it was hard rain for about ten minutes several times in the morning. I was asleep for the hard stuff. But, it was drying out in the afternoon until about 6pm when it poured hard. Then, blue skies returned in places. We did not have a rainbow, even a single.

      Delete
  4. It almost never rains in my corner of California. I think our average rainfall is under 12"

    I use a seal a meal machine to vacuum seal items for the freezer. You can often find the machines in thrift stores or at garage sales. Yes, the bags & rolls can be expensive but I find them quite reasonable on Amazon. With the rolls you can make them extra long then you can reseal them after opening the bag and using some of the contents. You can also use them to reseal bags of chips.

    I have a spare machine that I use to seal fabric items & books that I sell on eBay. I use the twist tie bread bags that WM sells. You can't use the vacuum feature but you can press the air out of the bag and heat seal it up tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I have wanted a seal a meal for a long time. The ziploc bags are expensive, too! The extra one sounds really useful even if you cannot vacuum. I have looked at thrift stores and never seen one. I cannot get into thrift stores now to properly shop.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got the cheese taken care of this week. We have rain from Delta, but not the wind, so we are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      We have not had much wind except when Tommy was stuck in the carport for ten minutes. But, they were not dangerously high. I don't want to waste cheese! I did that once last month and regret not freezing it.

      Delete
  6. I use it is overnight waffles and some of my cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I am not sure I have any recipes that call for unsalted butter.

      Delete
  7. Glad you found your friend. I know personally 5 people, all in their seventies, who have or had Covid and a sixth one, a family friend for.40 years, who died back in the spring of Covid. He was 69. The 5 include two couples, and one of the couples is our former pastor and his wife. We had 2-1/8 inches of rain in our rain gauge from what was left of Hurricane Delta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      That is a lot of people to know who contracted covid19. Sorry about the death. Except for the intermittent downpours on Saturday morning, it has just drizzled on and off.

      Delete
  8. I always use unsalted butter so I can determine the salt level of the dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...