Monday, October 19, 2020

Amazon Return and Plumbing

 All my purchases from Amazon were in good shape except for the seal on one of the three-section glass storage dishes. It appeared someone had shoved the lid on and bent the seal over. It looked like the seal had recovered, but it still looked funny. I called today to see if I could return just one of the three bowls. the guy said to keep it and would I accept a $10 credit on Amazon. Sure, I will. 

So, that is settled. Now, I need to call about the broken corner on the dehydrator. sigh, always something. 

When I unwrapped the glass dishes, Tommy was passing by. I offered one of the dishes, he took it, he admired it and complimented it and said how nice it was and how handy it would be. I can put enough chicken in one of the two small sides, two sweet potatoes in the large part, and another vegetable in the other small division. Then, it can go in the freezer for another day. This meal would be for both of us--two servings in one container. 

I was telling Tommy about blogs that show the blogger cooking and freezing 40 or more meals in one day. If I had about 37 more of these glass storage containers, we would be doing the same thing. That would be nice to have meals every day without all the hassle. Do you ever cook and inordinate number of meals in one day in order to cook meal for a month or so?

We finished the rotisserie chicken last night along with a tiny breast from last week. He had taken all the meat off the rotisserie chicken, so he had half of that with bbq and slaw. I put bbq on the chopped/pulled breast and ate lots of slaw. 

Lunch will be hotdog and slaw. The rest of the packages of hotdogs are in the freezer, so I won't be tempted. I have to watch me when hotdogs are around. 

Well, the plumber is coming and going and in and out. Tommy found that the washer was overflowing when the water would not drain. I am so glad at this moment that it drained into the driveway! Imagine if it were in the house.

Plumber is gone and so is $675 from Tommy. Sigh. . . There was a blockage in the sewage line. Before he left, I asked him how much a new faucet on the outside faucet would cost--$200. So, Tommy was very agreeable to have that done. I did not push my luck and ask about the back faucet where my garden is located. 

Now, I am off to shop for things we need that did not get done yesterday when we were waiting for a call from the plumber. 

A man was bragging about his 8 children who were all lawyers. People knew he had 9 children and asked what the ninth child did. He said he was the most successful child who put his siblings through law school. Child # 9 was a plumber. 

Many of these cheap Halloween decorations call for batteries, so we need those. Hopefully, they will not get wet and ruin the batteries. Now, I am off to shop for things we need that did not get done yesterday when we were waiting for a call from the plumber. We only had time for one store, the closest, Publix. 

I was exhausted after the plumber visit today and had to rest but ending up napping. Do plumber visits, impending visits, and the bill exhaust you? 


26 comments:

  1. I don't make entire meals to freeze in quantity but sometimes will make 8 loaves of zucchini bread or 6 dozen muffins to freeze and add on to meals. Or I will cook a large pot of chili or soup to freeze in containers. It sure comes in handy on busy or lazy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I will often cook something and eat a meal, save one for the next day, and freeze the rest. That is the best I can do. Maybe someday...

      Delete
  2. I live in such a small town....a plumber is a luxury. We can hardly get one. My husband does most of our plumbing repairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    You are so lucky to have a husband who can work on plumbing! This plumber is great! I have called plumbers who were flirts or distateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a reason you don't use the food safe freezer bags?
    I use a great plumbing service, which operates 24/7 (Of course you pay extra for nights and weekends, but trust me, we have in an emergency).
    They are the consummate professionals and it does not wear me out to have them in the house. They do their job well, clean up after themselves and then leave. No stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I do use Ziplock freezer bags.
      This guy is great! I know what you mean by not wearing you out. This the best plumber I have ever used. He leaves no messes!

      Delete
  5. I often cook the main parts of two meals at a time, like two chickens or two roasts with various roasted vegetables, where I freeze one and we eat one for dinner. Years ago, when I worked part time I used to spend a day or two of the weekend to cook several meals for the week ahead. It mostly backfired by making me hot, headachey, and cranky for the weekend, and often we didn't want what I had cooked by the time the weekday came around. But I am all about cooking 2 roasts at a time, 2 lbs of burger at a time, 2 meatloaves at a time, things like that, but more than 2 of the same thing, is too much for me. And two or more completely different meals, like I used to attempt, never again.

    We are lucky that my son in law is a plumber, but I do worry about him being exposed to covid with his work. It is hard, dirty work a lot of the time.

    Right now, I do not want any repair people in my home, unless it would be my son in law. because of Covid 19, but normally I always dislike repair people in the house because I am not a great housekeeper, and things are usually in disarray because I don't have the stamina back yet to get everything cleaned up around the house at the same time. Yes, repair visits do exhaust me because I run around straightening stuff up, and we always seem to get the repair people that want to arrive at 8 am, which means hardly any sleep for me or my husband because we are still night owls because he worked nights for 40 years before retiring. So when the repair person leaves, my husband, me, and even our little Fuzzy dog are exhausted and we all go to sleep until we finally wake up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have cooked meat for four or five meals at a time, like chicken breasts or meat loaf. Then, I have a lot of vegetables cooked. I do not want to start from scratch like I had to do for years.

      We had this plumber wear a mask. Of course, I had to supply it.

      Yes, I do stress over a messy house and people coming in. When he left today, I took a nap!

      Delete
  6. i do not know which causes worse angst - the plumber or the electrician.
    but are quite costly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I think the plumber causes me the worst angst! The money they charge is not funny.

      Delete
  7. I cracked a tooth on the first night of vacation with the grands. I was worried about it all weekend, though was never in a lot of pain. It hadn't gone to the nerve, thankfully. Ended up having to have a crown. $1,300 is more than DOUBLE the cost of our weekend away, including hotel, food, attractions and everything. That hurt worse than the tooth ever did.

    I love my glass food saver dishes! I also recently bought some silicon zip storage bags. It's my goal to not have leftovers in anything plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I can imagine the pain from the cost. That's why I am not having a crown done.

      I wondered if the silicone bags were easy to get things out of the cracks/edges. So, they clean up nicely?

      Delete
    2. It seems like they will. Haven't had a chance to use them yet as we haven't had any leftovers.

      And ironically, I lost a filling a couple of weeks ago. Dentist wanted to do another crown. I said I'd had back surgery and a crown already this year, I'm not interested in paying for another one. She did a 'build up' like she was preparing for a crown. Everything but the crown. It cost more than a filling, but only 1/4 of the price of a crown. I'm going to go with it until I'm forced into a crown.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      Let me know. That seems like a good way to save on costs, yet have the tooth saved.

      Delete
  8. I did some cooking ahead last week for this week but I don't think I could handle making enough meals for an entire month. I get tired after making a weeks worth..LOL... Electricians and plumbers are expensive !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,
      I told Tommy I had seen blogs and videos of people making huge numbers of meals. Day 1--buy all food, day 2- clean kitchen counters and all supplies to cook with, day 3 get up early and start. I could not do a month's worth of meals. We are going to need an electrician soon. I hope he is up to it mentally.

      Delete
  9. yes, the plumber stuff and bills wear me out. I have started doing our finances in the evening so I can go directly to bed.

    I have done 30 meals for the freezer especially when we had all the kids at home. I still do some now as this week it's meals of shepherd pie, meatloaf, meatballs, cube steak, hamburger patties, smoked pork in the freezers and mild chili and spicy chili being canned. That will give me Nov and most of Dec off from cooking except for the holiday meals as I have shredded turkey, whole chicken and chicken cut up in the freezer along with brisket and roasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is funny or not that you have to go to bed after finances work.

      That is a lot of cooking. At least, you have all the dishes and stuff washed from the cooking. In what kind of containers do you freeze things?

      Delete
  10. I wouldn't have the storage/freezer space to store 40 meals even if I had the organizational capacity - which I don't. And heck I hope you're right about plumbers - seeing as how my son is one. He's just starting out but I could already put so much work his way through friends. I'm hoping he'll start working on my bathrooms soon so he'll get to see what it's like going out on his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Well, I am not sure I have the energy to make 40 meals at once! You know what a person wants from a plumber, so you can use your consumer brain to help him with that. I hate not being on time or calling to say he is hung up on something else. I hate making a mess and not cleaning it up, walking through house without shoe covers, and flirting his way to get a job when I call for a plumber and he is looking over the job. A good and thorough job is worth the money.

      Delete
  11. Yes, all the above exhausts me, lol. Calling and dealing with service providers exhausts me too. I've been trying for 1 week to make changes to my internet and television service. It has been one thing after another and I do not like dealing with different service reps once I get into it so I have to wait for them to call me. They make an appointment then they don't keep it because they may be dealing with another customer. I am at the 11th hour of finalizing this and the service rep is off on Wednesday and probably Thursday too. I'm busy Friday. What should be a simple thing has turned into a marathon involving many other people too and I'm just so over it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As for freezer meals, I've mentioned I do not have the space for meals ahead without having a small freezer. But I did purchase some special containers for it off Amazon. They are not glass. They are the black ones with clear lid made for meal preparation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I have the freezer and you have containers...lol. This is a small upright and a joy. I saw those containers on Amazon.

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha, if we lived close to one another we could share. The containers I have are BPA free and cheaper and lighter than the glass ones. They go in the freezer and the microwave. (though I prefer limiting my use of the microwave).

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      lol...Are they airtight for freezing? These glass ones are extremely heavy, really hard to handle. I like things that can go from freezer to microwave.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...