Friday, October 2, 2020

Canning Jars and Grocery Shopping

 I had found canning jars, about 30 dozen the Pig and went there to buy more. THEN, I did not buy any. When I went to Publix, there were two dozen. I got one. I did find something in Publix to help with the lid shortage. 

From Masontops, I bought a box of storage lids at Publix. These are not like the previous storage lids that Ball sold. The old ones did not have a waterproof or airtight seal in the lid. Plus, they broke the two times I dropped a jar with a storage lid on it. 

They are good for freezing, storage, refrigeration, just not processing in heat. The silicone seal will come out of the lid for washing.  Check masontops.com. They are expensive. They are four in a box. $7.99

I found certain Campbell's Cream of soups on sale at 4 for $7. I got four. 

White grapes 2.15 lbs. x $1.89/lb. so, $4.06. And, I will freeze a few of these, too. 

4 half gallons a2milk x $4.49 each

bananas $0.43

Maxwell House Coffee--Tommy has it now, so I have no idea. But, it was $6.69- $1.50= $5.19.

Smucker's pb $3.72

Baby Kale Mix $3.34 This is for the potato soup.

Romaine $3.32 for salads going forward.

12 Ball Canning Jars, quarts $13.99

1 Hunt's tomato paste $0.87

large box Wheat Thins. I had a coupon for $4.29, but they were on sale and $3.50 and the coupon covered it. This will be our December box...lol.

At another store, I found 

3/4 inch elastic like I put in my waistbands. $2.28

6  kale starts $3.47

BIC razor, did not mean to get delicate, ugh 20 for $4.97. I use the cheap ones.     

Nesquik chocolate $7.38

Hair color $6.97

package of 6 Minute Maid OJ $3.46 Medical supplies

100 count paper plates $4.94 It seems paper plates I buy are never there, so I get them before I run out.

Large spaghetti sauce that I don't remember $1.48

1 washcloth $1.14...only one pink one left

1 gal milk for Tommy  $2.70

AND

I bought 5 lbs. Roma tomatoes for soup this winter when I process and put in freezer. $4.96 

Usually, I use two quarts I have canned or one quart with store bought tomatoes. I just cannot wait. I hope I have Summer Savory to put into the soup. Otherwise, I will buy some. Oh, I will go back and buy 5 pounds as long as they are this price and freeze them. 

Friday. 

Today, we will blanch, peel, core and freeze. Yes, Tommy is helping. I wonder how many quarts this will make. I love fresh, home canned tomatoes for winter soup with vegetables and browned ground beef. 

Earlier today, I started coughing, choking over congestion. I was not sure if I were getting worse or if things were just turning loose. So, I am getting better or worse...lol. 

Friday 5:30

I just received my application for an absentee ballot. It is a very low-key looking letter. I would never suspect it has anything to do with the election. I suppose that is the plan.

Ugh! We went to grocery again. That will be for tomorrow.

Gopher II for Tommy. I got two of them as I need one occasionally. He must get down on the floor and looks like he is doing a plank. I feel so sorry for him and rush to pick up things from the floor for him. So, this will help him.

I forgot about the tomatoes to freeze, so maybe he will help me. Otherwise, tomorrow will do whether he helps me or not. He said he would help, but about 5 pm, he thinks the day is over...lol. 

Have you found good deals this week? 




4 comments:

  1. I think you must have a good food storage and that is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Coming from you that is a real compliment since you come from a food storage tradition. I try. And, I had to start over to get where I am. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I too have a set of canning jars that I use to make pickles and store things.
    I do not remember when and why I got them in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I think everyone should own a dozen canning jars since they are so versatile and useful.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...